FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Thank you. Will use both and update.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I also use KeePass.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Use the first word in a line just like King Sal.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is 1password $49.99? Or is that for a more complex version?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Had a play around with both and to be honest they are a bit too much. I just want a simple database where I can secure them and only access them when I want through my iPhone or Mac . I am happy for Safari to keep my day to day surfing ones.

Ideally something I can drop into Google drive and then access it from my iPhone or Mac when I need a password.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
With my brain? I have probably close to 10 complex passwords memorized.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:15 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I have an Excel to store my password... seems dated compared to the methods mentioned here.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:28 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Keepass
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: ALL
Hi,

I also use lastpass. Don't be impressed by the many available options. They exist to make your life easier.

Lastpass is able to store a copy of your database locally if required. It also allows in-app auto-filling under android.

After using Lastpass for over 2 years I cannot imagine ever going back to a excel sheet like solution. The key nowadays is really that you have multiple devices arround and the solution you pick has to be available just about everywhere.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
1password supports wifi sync, dropbox sync, and/or iCloud sync.
Speaking of that, make sure you enable 2FA if you take advantage of Dropbox or iCloud sync. If someone gets the password for one of those services, it'd at least serve as one more significant hoop to jump through before getting access to all of the passwords that are stored there.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I have an Excel to store my password... seems dated compared to the methods mentioned here.
Can I use a secure password to protect this? I currently store mine in a word file.

Seriously though guys anything that I can save passwords to and keep on my google drive as I remember most of my passwords and just need a helping hand with those that I frequent less.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Can I use a secure password to protect this? I currently store mine in a word file.

Seriously though guys anything that I can save passwords to and keep on my google drive as I remember most of my passwords and just need a helping hand with those that I frequent less.
Protection on microsoft documents can be easily defeated using a brute-force scheme.

I subscribe to Lastpass, and while its not ultra perfect, it works well enough

Lifehacker.com regularly does review and comparison of password managers

http://lifehacker.com/tag/password-managers
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by onlysuites

I don't know of a simple way to password protect a file, but you can put your passwords on a sheet in an Excel, hide the sheet, then put a password for unhiding sheets (or altering Excel structures).
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
Protection on microsoft documents can be easily defeated using a brute-force scheme.
Since Office 2007, Office document encryption has used AES-128. It's quite secure (well, as secure as Microsoft's implementation and your password).

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I don't know of a simple way to password protect a file, but you can put your passwords on a sheet in an Excel, hide the sheet, then put a password for unhiding sheets (or altering Excel structures).
VeraCrypt
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:27 am

For a long time I just let my browser (Firefox) remember them for me, but installed an add-on that let me view and edit the account and password information. It allowed me to add new entries whether the website existed or not, so I could make up some dummy name for account information that didn't have an associated website. That obviously wasn't a cross-platform solution, and I've subsequently realized that:
  1. I was only using perhaps 10-12 unique passwords across all of the web sites I frequent (see below)
  2. I needed something that worked on my laptop, tablet and phone
  3. A way to manage other, non-password textual data would be very helpful

It appears my requirements aren't all that different from the OP's...

When I installed LastPass, one of the first things it did was read the Firefox password database and perform a security assessment. That was a real eye-opener, revealing just how often I was reusing the same passwords, and that the level of complexity was considerably lower than I had assumed.

so I took the time to put LastPass to work, auto-generating much stronger passwords and updating the most critical websites (along with the majority of rest). The password assessment report now shows an acceptably high value.

I've also implemented 2FA wherever it's supported, so I'm much more comfortable that I've done everything reasonable and prudent to safeguard my on-line access.

And I'm seriously suggesting you think a bit longer about whether a Google Drive hosted, password-protected spreadsheet is really safe enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.