Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung Galaxy S7

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: yes
Originally Posted by pseudoswede

I just wish they included a 200GB microSD card with pre-orders instead of getting a Gear VR. I really have no desire for a Gear VR.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:11 pm

I made the jump... Pre-ordered a Galaxy s7 here in Indonesia. http://www.phonemore.com/phone/samsu...sm-g930fd/2557

I noticed that it has all of the same LTE bands as the T-Mobile version, plus several more; if I move back to the US some day, my S7 hopefully will work there. The unlocked price was 8300000 IDR ($638 USD at time of posting) all-in. This is only about $50 more than the Nexus 6P 64-Gb model I was looking at purchasing in the US. The only downside is that the S7 will arrive while I am overseas. By the time I return, my wife may have already claimed it!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
So I am going to the Verizon store to pre-order sometime today. I called yesterday to ask them a question: When I pre-order, do I have to pay my phone balance ($140) on my trade in phone right then or when I pick up my S7? The guy said I get a $200 credit on trade in phone (S5). In the past, I have received different answers to the same question so if it is true, then I will pre-order. He also said if I had left over credit, I could apply it to a bill or accessories. I am already going to order a wireless charger from Amazon this week. They are only $15 or so.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm going to see if it works on Redbox machines.
Update: Samsung Pay does not work on Redbox machines.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Update: Samsung Pay does not work on Redbox machines.
Must be a mechanical trigger on those, similar to ATMs and gas pumps.

As an aside, the S7 is basically what I wished the S6 was. The 2 main features I wish it had were expandable memory and water/dust proof, like my old Sony Xperia Z (RIP).
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
So I am going to the Verizon store to pre-order sometime today. I called yesterday to ask them a question: When I pre-order, do I have to pay my phone balance ($140) on my trade in phone right then or when I pick up my S7? The guy said I get a $200 credit on trade in phone (S5). In the past, I have received different answers to the same question so if it is true, then I will pre-order. He also said if I had left over credit, I could apply it to a bill or accessories. I am already going to order a wireless charger from Amazon this week. They are only $15 or so.
Well, of course it wasn't quite what I thought it would be. It turns out that I have to pay of the phone ($270) before I get the $200 credit. It still works out in my favor so I pay $70 vs $140 to get the new phone. If I had done it today, I would have had to turn my phone in today and wait for the pre-ordered phone to arrive on Friday. 4 days without a phone? That's not happening. So I will chance it and see what is in stock on Friday. It will still come with the Samsung VR set (which I don't see myself using at all).
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a $33/mo trade-in credit across two phones. Unfortunately, I lose the credit if I trade in my S6's for S7's. Looks like I'll have to wait for the S8.
Always remember the adage: "If you don't like what the answer is, call back."

I spoke with someone in T-Mobile Retentions/Loyalty today, and they said I absolutely would be able to maintain my trade-in credit. ^ Hope to order our new S7s by tomorrow.

Edited to add: ordered just now. Will be sent via overnight shipping on Friday (maybe earlier).

Last edited by pseudoswede; Mar 7, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:38 pm

Always remember the adage: "If you don't like what the answer is, call back."

I spoke with someone in T-Mobile Retentions/Loyalty today, and they said I absolutely would be able to maintain my trade-in credit. ^ Hope to order our new S7s by tomorrow.

Edited to add: ordered just now. Will be sent via overnight shipping on Friday (maybe earlier).
I found out it only comes in 2 colors (at least at the Verizon Store): gold/platinum and black. Which one did you choose?

I spent this afternoon on Amazon and ordered a wireless charger, a 2 port wall charger (for the wireless charger and my tablet card), a screen protecter and a case.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I found out it only comes in 2 colors (at least at the Verizon Store): gold/platinum and black. Which one did you choose?

I spent this afternoon on Amazon and ordered a wireless charger, a 2 port wall charger (for the wireless charger and my tablet card), a screen protecter and a case.
Which wireless charger did you order? I'm waiting for a deal on this one. And don't forget, when you add a card to Samsung Pay you also get a free wireless charger. I'll keep one at home and one in the office and likely never have to plug in unless I'm traveling.

And what screen protector did you go with? They've always been hit or miss for me.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Which wireless charger did you order? I'm waiting for a deal on this one. And don't forget, when you add a card to Samsung Pay you also get a free wireless charger. I'll keep one at home and one in the office and likely never have to plug in unless I'm traveling.

And what screen protector did you go with? They've always been hit or miss for me.
That charger doesn't list S7 as a compatible model.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The other nice thing about going through T-Mobile is that each phone gets one free year of Netflix. That's basically $240 for free. Plus, I will immediately sell off both Samsung VRs ($60 each?).

I'm getting the black onyx, and Mrs. Swede is getting the gold platinum.

I bought this case for my phone, this case for Mrs. Swede's phone, and a
Samsung 128GB microSD card Samsung 128GB microSD card
from Amazon last night (Mrs. Swede will get a pre-existing Samsung Evo 64GB microSD card). We have those cases for our S6s, and they are great.

Which wireless charger did you order?

I'll keep one at home and one in the office and likely never have to plug in unless I'm traveling.
I have and will continue to use
this wireless charger this wireless charger
at work and on the kitchen counter.

Mrs. Swede and I each have
this wireless charger this wireless charger
on our nightstands. I like the more upright position so that my phone can double as a clock at night without having to strain to see it from a lying position.

I may start traveling for work soon, and I think I might go for
this folding wireless charger this folding wireless charger
. Edited to add: on second thought, perhaps killing two birds with one stone might be better on the road with something like this
portable battery pack with wireless charging portable battery pack with wireless charging

I have this tempered glass screen protector for both of our S6s, and they are great. I screwed up the install on one of them, and they re-sent a brand new one for free with no questions asked. Use promo code GREAT88 to get them for $1.50 each. Ordered last night and got the shipping notification this morning (I also paid the extra $0.99 for "rush processing").

Last edited by pseudoswede; Mar 8, 2016 at 7:52 am
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I bought this case for my phone, this case for Mrs. Swede's phone, and a Samsung 128GB microSD card from Amazon last night (Mrs. Swede will get a pre-existing Samsung Evo 64GB microSD card). We have those cases for our S6s, and they are great.

Mrs. Swede and I each have this wireless charger on our nightstands. I like the more upright position so that my phone can double as a clock at night without having to strain to see it from a lying position.

I have this tempered glass screen protector for both of our S6s, and they are great. I screwed up the install on one of them, and they re-sent a brand new one for free with no questions asked. Use promo code GREAT88 to get them for $1.50 each. Ordered last night and got the shipping notification this morning (I also paid the extra $0.99 for "rush processing").
1) Considered the Spigen cases, but ended up going with
this one this one
for my S6 b/c it was a little more low profile in looks and actual thickness.

2) I was just looking for another wireless charger yesterday, but hadn't come across the one you use for your nightstand. Does it work only in portrait orientation for the S6, or also in landscape?

3) For screen protector, do you have the regular one, the Hi Def, or the Spartan tempered glass protector?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
2) I was just looking for another wireless charger yesterday, but hadn't come across the one you use for your nightstand. Does it work only in portrait orientation for the S6, or also in landscape?

3) For screen protector, do you have the regular one, the Hi Def, or the Spartan tempered glass protector?
2) It works with both orientations. It's a little more finicky when in portrait orientation. That said, I use it pretty much only in portrait.

3) Spartan tempered glass

Last edited by pseudoswede; Mar 8, 2016 at 8:50 am
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:39 am

I ordered this screen protector
Amazon.com: iCarez Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S7 9H Anti-Scratch Easy Install with Lifetime Replacement Warranty - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: iCarez Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S7 9H Anti-Scratch Easy Install with Lifetime Replacement Warranty - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

Wireless charger:
Amazon.com: Kollea Wireless Charger for Samsung Galaxy S7 S6 Edge, Note 6 5, Nexus 5 6 7 and Other Qi-Enabled Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Kollea Wireless Charger for Samsung Galaxy S7 S6 Edge, Note 6 5, Nexus 5 6 7 and Other Qi-Enabled Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I want a picture of you taking a drill to your phone and the subsequent result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.