Wiki Posts
Search

What do you use your Chromebook for?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Heck - sometimes I'm presenting in regions of the world where 'online' is a laughable suggestion.
Frankly, as much as I do love my Chromebook if this were the case for me I wouldn't consider one.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:55 pm

Hi ,

I just got a FREE , hand me down Samsung Chromebook 2 11.6" Intel Celeron today , it is a little beat up and the screen does not stay up by itself anymore , but works good.

So I have only played with it for a few hours ,

It is on the list to be able to use Android Apps (some day)

I have no idea if it is the 2GB model or 4GB model , but can you play music and movies off an SD card or does it have to be from the "Cloud"

It seems like a nice machine , very light , great screen , starts up very quick , I am just not sure about the "Cloud" thing and what I give up taking it with me and leaving the 15 inch Dell laptop at home...

Anyone else using one of these Samsung Chromebooks and can tell me the does and don'ts

Thanks

Last edited by LAXlocal; Oct 27, 2016 at 3:10 pm
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Chromebook is the new netbook. Never like netbook. Buy a used non-retina 2011-2012 MBP. You can get it from $400-$600. A lot better value than new chromebook.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
Chromebook is the new netbook. Never like netbook. Buy a used non-retina 2011-2012 MBP. You can get it from $400-$600. A lot better value than new chromebook.
Are you seriously suggesting that an out of warranty, high failure rate laptop which is coming to the end of its supported life, is a better choice than a $250 new machine?

Anyone buying a new laptop needs to understand what they need to achieve, then make a decision. In our house we have Chromebooks, Win 7 Desktop and Laptop, Win 10 Laptop and a Linux Box. All have different uses and fit well in their own niches.

Simply dismissing a device out of hand makes no sense.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Are you seriously suggesting that an out of warranty, high failure rate laptop which is coming to the end of its supported life, is a better choice than a $250 new machine?
Yes, apparently you are not familiar with MBP line.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Vaucluse
Yes, apparently you are not familiar with MBP line.
That's ridiculous - Chromebooks are great and apparently you're not familiar with them by, you know, actually using one.

And I say that as someone typing this on a 2015 MacBook Pro, which I also love. That said, given the direction of Apple to ruin everything that makes sense (no SD, no USB, etc), and throw pouty fits (LCD bar) I probably won't be buying another, at least if they keep up with their latest crap.

Once Adobe Lightroom is fully web-capable I'll be able to do everything via a browser and if new the MacBooks suck like this latest batch, I'll get a Chromebook with a stellar display and I won't miss a new MBP at all.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:48 pm

My friend do have one and he said Chromebooks usually don't stand out against other budget laptops mainly because of its specifications. Nevertheless, his 11.6-inch Chromebook has helped him do web-related tasks such as creating and editing documents in Google Drive.

I use my Surface Pro 4 mainly for everything from social media marketing to heavy web-related tasks to photo/video editing. It's really a very reliable ultraportable, I should say.

Anyone buying a new laptop needs to understand what they need to achieve, then make a decision. - @MAN Pax

I agree with this. :-:
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Man, if I could run Firefox with NoScript on my Chromebook, I might actually use it. It should be fairly obvious that anyone who is a close steward of their web usage is not advised to get a Chromebook. I will also say that I prefer using my Windows machine because of the following:
  • I prefer full blown Outlook to Office365's web interface. Not that there is anything wrong with the web - but I prefer the experience of a real application better.
  • One of my primary uses of any computer is Visual Studio. Not gonna happen on a Chromebook needless to say.
  • I use GoTo Assist for logging into my other systems and checking on customer sites. There is an Android app for GoTo, which some limited Chromebooks may be able to run (?) but I doubt it is going to replace the real thing.
  • When I'm not using GoTo Assist I'm using Remote Desktop. Same.
  • If a laptop doesn't have a trackpoint, it is already behind the curve IMO

I thought I'd have it as a toy, but after seeing how much using my Chromebook changed the ads I was served I decided I'm sticking with a real computer where I can use Firefox. Not even good enough for using when I'm too lazy to get up from the couch.

So what is my Chromebook used for? My cat likes to sit on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.