FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do you use your Chromebook for?
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:19 pm
elCheapoDeluxe

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Man, if I could run Firefox with NoScript on my Chromebook, I might actually use it. It should be fairly obvious that anyone who is a close steward of their web usage is not advised to get a Chromebook. I will also say that I prefer using my Windows machine because of the following:
  • I prefer full blown Outlook to Office365's web interface. Not that there is anything wrong with the web - but I prefer the experience of a real application better.
  • One of my primary uses of any computer is Visual Studio. Not gonna happen on a Chromebook needless to say.
  • I use GoTo Assist for logging into my other systems and checking on customer sites. There is an Android app for GoTo, which some limited Chromebooks may be able to run (?) but I doubt it is going to replace the real thing.
  • When I'm not using GoTo Assist I'm using Remote Desktop. Same.
  • If a laptop doesn't have a trackpoint, it is already behind the curve IMO

I thought I'd have it as a toy, but after seeing how much using my Chromebook changed the ads I was served I decided I'm sticking with a real computer where I can use Firefox. Not even good enough for using when I'm too lazy to get up from the couch.

So what is my Chromebook used for? My cat likes to sit on it.