Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best way & price to get unlimited data in China?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:40 am
Original Poster

I will be visiting China, and was wondering what's the best way to get internet on my phone & laptop?

Well, I guess I can get LTE/4G on my phone, then tether to my laptop but i guess the speed probably wouldnt be great...

I was reading some forums where some internet provider offer unmetered usage after 12am (midnight) - not sure if this is true.

I have never done this before so please advise. Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi there, and welcome. If you don't want to use a cellular option, I'm not sure that there are other options really, aside from finding wifi hotspots.

Did you check out the Prepaid China SIM thread? An LTE connection (or even a good 3G one) will be plenty fast for most needs.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
...assuming your connection needs are in-country. Most of the cellular data I've used in Beijing and Shanghai are great connecting to internal resources but deathly slow if you have to connect to resources in the US. Hotels are hit or miss, some better than other. The Apple Stores in the big cities have the best connections I've used.

In China there are different "grades" of ISP service that a property can purchase, there is a "gold" service that comes at a definite premium but seems to have the lowest latency to the USA, maybe they are routed via a faster firewall when you are exisitng the country?

I've heard some bigger chain hotels have MPLS networks that have their traffic encapsulated and dropped off in Hong Kong or somewhere more friendly before it goes on the internet so you don't have any filtering at all and performance is great. I haven't seen this myself but some of my peers say they've seen it.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
...assuming your connection needs are in-country. Most of the cellular data I've used in Beijing and Shanghai are great connecting to internal resources but deathly slow if you have to connect to resources in the US. Hotels are hit or miss, some better than other. The Apple Stores in the big cities have the best connections I've used.

In China there are different "grades" of ISP service that a property can purchase, there is a "gold" service that comes at a definite premium but seems to have the lowest latency to the USA, maybe they are routed via a faster firewall when you are exisitng the country?

I've heard some bigger chain hotels have MPLS networks that have their traffic encapsulated and dropped off in Hong Kong or somewhere more friendly before it goes on the internet so you don't have any filtering at all and performance is great. I haven't seen this myself but some of my peers say they've seen it.
IME Unicom LTE is faster than almost all land-based internet in China (offices at MNCs with high video conference volume, being a notable exception). If you roam on Unicom with a foreign SIM, their is no censorship to worry about, but the same objective (and performance) can be achieved by using a reliable VPN in conjunction with a local Unicom SIM (this is much cheaper if your data usage is anything greater than moderate). I have not experienced stellar performance with foreign hotel tunnels (too many people battling for a stingy allotment of bandwidth).

Last edited by moondog; Jan 8, 2016 at 5:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.