Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - China

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Prepaid SIM - China

Hey FTers!

I'll be in China for the next three weeks, and I was hoping to pick up a cheap sim card for data for my iPad mini. I was hoping you could provide me some info on where to find that, how much it would cost, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not sure how would you deifine "cheap". It's American being cheap now a days when you see how the Chinese torurists here...

To the point, you might want to get China Unicon pre-pay data sim, 3GB or 6GB, 3 months and one year validitiies, reapectively.

Price is about 100 RMB (17USD)per GB in store, half of that online.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HowieG
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

To the point, you might want to get China Unicon pre-pay data sim, 3GB or 6GB, 3 months and one year validitiies, reapectively.

perfect. I only need like 3GB of data, so it will only be like $50.

Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HowieG

Not sure how would you deifine "cheap". It's American being cheap now a days when you see how the Chinese torurists here...

Where/how do you buy online? http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/simcard will sell prepaid cards, but they make a healthy profit.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Pat+
Where/how do you buy online? http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/simcard will sell prepaid cards, but they make a healthy profit.
Local stores sell them. Airports also sell them but with limited variety and higher fees. I haven't try online store yet.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zhengqiji
Local stores sell them. Airports also sell them but with limited variety and higher fees. I haven't try online store yet.
I ended up buying one in a Hutong in Beijing, only to realize I didn't have a sim card key. I tried everything, but I couldn't get it open until I finally went to the Apple store in Shanghai.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I used to be a devout supporter of China Mobile because the service is great.

But, I have since discovered that Unicom is far cheaper. In spite of the fact that I have a Shanghai number, and I'm not in Shanghai, I still manage to keep my bill under Y125 per month (compared with Y450 on Mobile). But, in order to make Unicom work, it is essential to get on one of their plans (I use set B), and these kick in at the beginning of each calendar month.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: DL FO, AA
PVG SIM/WiFi?

Can I purchase a China SIM card somewhere at Shanghai Pudong? If so, where? Will they speak English? Also, how does WiFi work at PVG? The authentication pages seem to want a phone number. I don't mind paying a reasonable price if there is one, the process just seems different than the US?
Old May 22, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Madrugada
Can I purchase a China SIM card somewhere at Shanghai Pudong? If so, where? Will they speak English? Also, how does WiFi work at PVG? The authentication pages seem to want a phone number. I don't mind paying a reasonable price if there is one, the process just seems different than the US?
Since you're clearly referring to pvg (the airport) in your second statement I'm guessing you are referring to it in your first statement as well and that you're going to be there for a layover during which you'd like to make phone calls. Are these assumptions correct? If so Mobile would be my pick because it has the best call quality. For data the airport wifi is slow but not much slower than 3g. They are are easy to buy and wifi is fairly straight forward. You can log in with a phone number.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Do they offer LTE on prepaid?
Old May 23, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Marschel
Do they offer LTE on prepaid?
The answer is yes for both Mobile and Unicom, but my understanding is that only handsets which support TD-LTE (odds are high that yours DOES not) work. See here for example:

http://www.techinasia.com/china-unicom-rolls-out-4g/

This, and the fact that TD-LTE is brand new, helps explain why penetration is so low (e.g. check out the comparative numbers in the following article):

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...into-text.html
Old May 23, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by moondog
The answer is yes for both Mobile and Unicom Do
Do you have a source? @:-)

, but my understanding is that only handsets which support TD-LTE (odds are high that yours DOES not) work.
I knew this would come up. Stop bothering me with this. I familiar with the wireless industrie...

P.S. China is getting FD-LTE too...
Old May 23, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Marschel
Do you have a source? @:-)
Does the Tech in Asia article seriously fail to meet your criteria for being a "source"?

ETA: When I was out and about today, I grabbed a rate card from the China Mobile people that are constantly pestering me, and there is the page with the numbers that matter:

Notes:
-both the included data and air time are only valid in the province/municipality in which the number is based, and there isn't a special roaming add on yet
-in terms of cost, prepaid and postpaid are identical
-SIMs cost Y100, including Y70 in credit

Last edited by moondog; May 24, 2014 at 3:54 am
Old May 26, 2014, 11:11 am

Does the Tech in Asia article seriously fail to meet your criteria for being a "source"?
No exactly but they only mention one plan. @:-) I thought about you might link to their website?!
Notes:
-both the included data and air time are only valid in the province/municipality in which the number is based, and there isn't a special roaming add on yet
No data only offers?

Are those the 4G prepaid plans of China Unicom?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:21 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Any updates on which to get? I've got a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and my wife has the Note 4. I'd like to get something where we could call each other if we get separated (going with the kids and a couple of families so coordination can be beneficial). Loading off-line maps so mobile data, while nice, isn't essential. We'll plan to use WiFi at the hotels when available.

We're flying into PEK, doing Beijing, the train to Xian, then back to Shanghai. 9 days total. I know the back and forth might put us into multiple area which won't work.

One person in the group has T-mobile. Can anyone comment on how well T-mobile's "unlimited international roaming" will likely work?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.