Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - China

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by gof
Any updates on which to get? I've got a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and my wife has the Note 4. I'd like to get something where we could call each other if we get separated (going with the kids and a couple of families so coordination can be beneficial). Loading off-line maps so mobile data, while nice, isn't essential. We'll plan to use WiFi at the hotels when available.

We're flying into PEK, doing Beijing, the train to Xian, then back to Shanghai. 9 days total. I know the back and forth might put us into multiple area which won't work.

One person in the group has T-mobile. Can anyone comment on how well T-mobile's "unlimited international roaming" will likely work?

Thanks!
With Sprint phones, the first thing you need to do is to get them "Internationally Unlocked" by calling Sprint. This will allow you to use foreign SIM cards to access GSM networks.

Once that's done, your only real option in China is to use China Unicom if you want 3G (HSPA+) data access. It seems like both the Sprint Note 3 and Note 4 support 2100 MHz WCDMA, so they should work on Unicom. China Mobile and China Telecom use different 3G technologies which won't work on US GSM phones as far as I know. Unfortunately, while China Unicom appears to be launching a FD-LTE network right now, it doesn't seem like either of your phones will support it.

The process for buying a SIM is fairly simple. Just go into a China Unicom store and bring your passport since they'll need to photocopy it. Choose a package (when I went a few months ago, I was able to get 500MB data for 36RMB with .15RMB/minute for local calls) and put some money into it (100RMB should be sufficient for 9 days). It shouldn't be too tricky even if you don't speak Chinese, and they should be able to cut your SIM cards down to appropriate size once you're set. Be aware that unlike the US, Chinese plans still have roaming rates so assuming you buy your SIM in Beijing, you might spend more money than you expected once you leave. If you need to refill, you can do it online at 10010.com or at any China Unicom store.

There's a long T-Mobile international roaming thread in this forum, but IIRC it's throttled to 2G speeds, which is usable albeit frustratingly slow. He or she retains his or her US phone number, so calling/texting from your Chinese SIMs will probably incur fairly expensive international roaming rates. If you have enough data, using WhatsApp/WeChat would probably be the way to go.

One last thing, be aware that you will not be able to access any Google apps (Search/Gmail/Maps) or most US-based social media (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram) while in China without a VPN. If you choose not to get a VPN (and even if you do since VPN connections over 3G have been shoddy for me), make sure you have alternative apps downloaded beforehand since you won't be able to access the Google Play Store in China.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I travel to China for about a couple of months cumulatively each year. I'll actually be going again later this week, so I might have more up to date information then.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:18 pm

Sorry to bump such an old thread.

I will be visiting China in a couple of months (some rural areas).

They probably don't have wifi hotspot (or even if they do, it will be very slow).

I am probably looking for 4G / LTE service in this case, and need to tether to my laptop.

I was doing some research and found that there seems to be carrier that offers UNLIMITED internet (not sure if it is 4g/LTE) after 12am midnight.

Any idea if that really exist?

Otherwise, what are my other options? I will be travelling there for over 3 weeks and 6GB data wont be enough for me (and it seems very expensive)!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:14 am

quick bump. sorry guys.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where do they live? If they can't get DSL in their area, odds are that 4G isn't on offer either. Did you search 淘宝?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:45 pm

Just saw that as of late January China Unicom is requiring visitors to cancel their prepaid plans or risk getting blacklisted (http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/China). Seems rather heavy handed. Anyone have experience with this lately?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 4:35 pm

Watch out for stores trying to rip you off in China. They will ask for 500 RMB for a plan with a bunch of options. Dont pay more than 50-100 RMB.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:47 pm

Can anyone speak to buying a prepaid SIM card in China recently?

A friend just told me he ran into huge problems as a tourist (without being a resident permit holder or Chinese citizen) trying to buy a SIM card. Have things changed?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:17 am

Exclamation things are changing

Originally Posted by hapuna
Can anyone speak to buying a prepaid SIM card in China recently?

A friend just told me he ran into huge problems as a tourist (without being a resident permit holder or Chinese citizen) trying to buy a SIM card. Have things changed?
Things are constantly changing... fast here. (I have been in Beijing for many years). Right now you cannot even buy kitchen knifes in the shops, as the Communist Party Congress is in session (until 25th of Oct). After that things will return to relative 'normal'. This means if you want to buy a SIM you will need to show your passport. (this applies to all Unicom, China Mobile and China telekom outlets).

You might get lucky, if you find a small phone/repair shop and they may have some older SIM's that do not need the activation. OR you might find a helpful soul, who will just use their ID to activate it for you.

All that being said, do yourself a favour and get a SIM which lets you roam in China. That way you also wont need to buy a VPN service (access to google, facebook, instagram, twitter, etc...), as foreign SIM's on roaming are bypassing the Great Firewall unrestricted.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:21 am

On a related note, does anyone know of SIM's that I can buy in Japan that are specially for travel to China; data use only? Looking to stock up with a few... ;-)

The only ones I have had great use of are China Mobile Hong Kong (different company apparently), which have 1.5GB 4G data valid for 10 days all over China. Cost about 75HK$ if you go to Sham Shui Po in HK.

But Japan..>!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.