Best GPS Navigation System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best GPS Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by exerda

If your charger can deliver, or your phone can only accept, say, 10 watts, but the screen + CPU + radio are consuming 12 watts, you'll lose charge even with it plugged in. This is not uncommon with typical car chargers and larger phones.

Yes I'm aware of what you wrote, I just didn't know any phone had this issue....especially with USB Type C these days...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annerj
*I had a garmin for YEARS before the cell phones caught up. Seems silly to me to pack another piece of equipment, having to move it from car to car, etc. The phone is quick/easy and with the voice recognition/hands free its easier than my garmin ever was.
So long as your travels are confined to areas with service the phone is fine. The Garmin keeps on working when you lose cell service, though. Around here that means any highway other than an interstate.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Yes I'm aware of what you wrote, I just didn't know any phone had this issue....especially with USB Type C these days...
The percentage of phones in use today that use USB-C has how many zeroes after the decimal point?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TMM1982
One device is strictly navigation. If you're looking at your cell for the maps, estimated arrival time, etc, you will quickly get distracted by the barrage of text messages and emails they continuously hit your phone.
Not an issue for me. It's not that difficult for some of us to turn off the notifications of text messages/emails (and even phone calls) while using phones for GPS navigation.

I use my phones for GPS navigation. Not worth it for me to pay to carry around another electronic device above what I already transport; and having to use car rental company navigation systems is no panacea either.

My phones use Google Maps, Waze, TomTom and Navigon. Better than a dedicated GPS device.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 1, 2015 at 3:46 am
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not an issue for me. It's not that difficult for some of us to turn off the notifications of text messages/emails (and even phone calls) while using phones for GPS navigation.
You could but then you're shutting down the primary purpose of the phone. I might be getting important calls and/or notifications. Better to have the main GPS function doing the navigating and the phone doing what a phone's primary purpose is.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:00 am
Suspended

You could but then you're shutting down the primary purpose of the phone.
Not really. Anyone whom I think needs to know knows how to contact me even when I've regulated the notifications. And I can still contact others using the same devices, even while the phone GPS is being used.

To each their own, but I find no need to pay for another electronic device to port around and risk having some busy-body check-in agent make an issue about whether or not my cabin baggage is a fraction of a pound over some limit or not -- as happened with AA on one of my wide-body international flights just a few days ago, even as my cabin baggage allowance usage was nowhere close to the maximum allowed to me.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:00 am

The more expensive ones do
I find that my standalone Magellan (that does traffic) only gets the major accidents on the highway and major slowdowns on the highway

not the accidents on the local roads (that Waze/google maps would have), or minor bottlenecks
Originally Posted by CPRich
The percentage of phones in use today that use USB-C has how many zeroes after the decimal point?
USB Type-C (on phones so far) are limited to 15W (5V/3A)...

QC 2.0 is limited to 18W (12V/1.5A or 9V/2A)

i'm looking to get a GPS unit with dashcam (don't want two devices[GPS+dashcam], don't want to permanently install a dashcam and deal with wiring).

I only see one version from Garmin (Garmin nuviCam LMTHD) and one from Magellan?

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 1, 2015 at 6:06 am
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:46 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

It's not a function of the cable type. It's a function of the actual power delivered by the car charger. There are many 12V chargers that don't deliver the current to power today's current battery hog.

Also agree that there's no need for a separate device. I don't look at my emails and texts when I drive so there's no distraction there (especially when I turn them off). The occasional call I may answer but doesn't bother my navigation too much. I find that waze is so much better than anything, even my built in map that I just updated 3 months ago.

Fdw
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I use my phones for GPS navigation. Not worth it for me to pay to carry around another electronic device above what I already transport; and having to use car rental company navigation systems is no panacea either.

My phones use Google Maps, Waze, TomTom and Navigon. Better than a dedicated GPS device.
One other thing my dedicated GPS does in some areas at least: Traffic alerts. When the highway was closed up ahead it figured out the best reroute around it. That only works if the local service that announces such things is available.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by exerda
If your charger can deliver, or your phone can only accept, say, 10 watts, but the screen + CPU + radio are consuming 12 watts, you'll lose charge even with it plugged in. This is not uncommon with typical car chargers and larger phones.
I've had some fairly high-end Android phones, and I've never seen that happen; I can see where it would be possible, though.

Navigation apps don't stress the CPU/GPU very much, and don't transfer that much data, so it's basically just the screen and the GPS receiver pulling power, so it's especially unlikely in that particular use case... (the last time I drove 4 1/2 hours with my phone in a cradle with it on as a GPS the whole time, my Nexus 6 ended the trip with a full charge.)
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
One other thing my dedicated GPS does in some areas at least: Traffic alerts. When the highway was closed up ahead it figured out the best reroute around it. That only works if the local service that announces such things is available.
I get traffic alerts on my phone. And since I'm often using multiple means of transport, it's pretty convenient for me to just quickly unplug the phone and walk off with it to complete my journeys after the drive is over. P

And it helps that I can quickly flash over my coordinates via phone's GPS mapping tools in case I need to relay a meeting point to/for someone else. Not so easy to do with a dedicated GPS device when it's not a phone.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: *G
There are a myriad of GPS apps on both iOS and Android that go from the very basic to the very advanced 3d text-to-speech (TTS), with 3d building renders, traffic integration, satellite overlay, offline POI database, and are offline operational etc etc etc

And many of these are free

Personally, for me, the dedicated automobile GPS units are now redundant

Potential downsides are that (1) some are more cumbersome to use (2) generally a serious battery/cpu hog [dont run it without car charging] (3) and depending on phone model GPS acquisition is slower than dedicated unit
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Has anyone addressed the potential issue of using a phone GPS app when driving through a dead zone? You better have the route committed to memory at that point.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
You could but then you're shutting down the primary purpose of the phone. I might be getting important calls and/or notifications. Better to have the main GPS function doing the navigating and the phone doing what a phone's primary purpose is.
Car driving apps can limit many things without limiting everything

(e.g. can prevent all notifications and popups except calls, except calls from recognized numbers, calls from "favorites," etc. Can prevent all app usage, prevent everything but phone and "recognized apps," such as Waze and Spotify, etc.)
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Has anyone addressed the potential issue of using a phone GPS app when driving through a dead zone? You better have the route committed to memory at that point.
Both Google Maps and Waze will follow an existing route through dead zones.

Google Maps has at least some offline re-routing support, although AFAICT Waze can't do any re-routing if it loses the server connection.

There are a number of other apps that can do full routing just like a dedicated GPS (including versions of the software of a couple of the major dedicated GPS unit guys.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.