recommended office suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recommended office suite

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've used LibreOffice and Google Drive, and they are pale imitations.
Agreed, but Office 2011 is also a pale imitation of the Office suite for the PC, with fewer features and a less intuitive interface. It doesn't bother me but it's been a constant source of frustration for my wife who uses a PC at work and a Mac at home.

Apparently the new Office for Mac 2016 addresses these deficiencies, and the PC and Mac versions will have a very similar interface. Office for Mac 2016 will be released for non-365 subscribers in September, supposedly. So you could try one of the alternatives mentioned in this thread in the interim.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by boberonicus
... a less intuitive interface....
I am so glad to have found a plug-in that reverts Office 2010's interface to that of Office 2003. Clean, easy, intuitive and just easier to work with all around. Of course, it's still light years from the excellence of WordPerfect, but that's a different discussion....
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
My company lets us buy home versions of MS Office, for PC or MAC, for $9.95, done through Lifecare.

You can check if you are eligible here:
http://microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I am so glad to have found a plug-in that reverts Office 2010's interface to that of Office 2003. Clean, easy, intuitive and just easier to work with all around. Of course, it's still light years from the excellence of WordPerfect, but that's a different discussion....
I just updated to WordPerfect X7 the other day. My subordinates completely don't get it.

For the cheap, I find LibreOffice competent. I've use the database application on it for some basic stuff where customers were too cheap to buy another tool but not technically savvy enough to dive in to the raw MySQL.

But, I do pay for the Office 365 subscription - mostly for Outlook and hosted Exchange, but also to have the rest of the suite when dealing with non-WPers
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
My company lets us buy home versions of MS Office, for PC or MAC, for $9.95, done through Lifecare.

You can check if you are eligible here:
http://microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx
Thanks for posting that. It appears as though the organization with which I'm currently contracted provides this benefit. All you need is a valid email address at a participating organization.

I've been running Office Pro 2007, and I just upgraded to Pro Plus 2013 for $10.50 (tax included ).
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've used LibreOffice and Google Drive, and they are pale imitations. Inevitably, there's some functionality I want that isn't in them. Their user interfaces are very similar to Office, but not quite as good. I always wind up coming back to Microsoft's arms...

Though, it's been a while since I used them.
Your observation was definitely true at one time, but I have my company's PCs loaded with LibreOffice and never have any problems with compatibility with my customers' systems. Admittedly we're not "power users" (just basic documents, presentations, and spreadsheets) but I've never run into a feature that I need that's missing.

Perhaps you should load up LibreOffice and take it for a quick spin.

I do admit that Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides are not as fully-functional as MS Office, but they too get the job done for me when I'm mobile.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I have both NeoOffice (Open Office for Mac) dand MS Office installed and prefer the former. How does LibreOffice compare to it?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
OP, you are not forced to buy a subscription. You can still buy the same old boxed product for a one time fee.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by slawecki
we have no software installs left on our 2 boxes of officemac 2011.

i bought a Macair because wife does not want to carry a macbook withHD.
Why not uninstall Office from the old computer and install it on the new computer? If it does not activate over the network, call in and explain you are moving the software to a new computer. With a boxed (non-oem) license you have the right to move the software to a different computer.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by boberonicus
Agreed, but Office 2011 is also a pale imitation of the Office suite for the PC, with fewer features and a less intuitive interface. It doesn't bother me but it's been a constant source of frustration for my wife who uses a PC at work and a Mac at home.

Apparently the new Office for Mac 2016 addresses these deficiencies, and the PC and Mac versions will have a very similar interface. Office for Mac 2016 will be released for non-365 subscribers in September, supposedly. So you could try one of the alternatives mentioned in this thread in the interim.
As OP is already running 2011 on multiple computers, and is looking to avoid complication, I don't that that learning a new piece of software for a couple of month and then switching to yet another new piece of software that's sort of the same as the old but 2 generations newer, is really meeting the need.

If moving a current license is an option, that's the obvious answer, but I assumed OP needs to use the machines with the current licenses.

The $10 deal is what I use, and a great option if OP is eligible. Officemac 11 is still available under that program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.