Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

TripIt vs. Kayak My Trips vs. Worldmate vs. other serious competitors??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TripIt vs. Kayak My Trips vs. Worldmate vs. other serious competitors??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Question TripIt vs. Kayak My Trips vs. Worldmate vs. other serious competitors??

Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions for a serious replacement for TripIt. Their iPhone app is slow, clunky and buggy - it also is in desperate need of a UI refresh!

I've kept my patience with TripIt because it's free (I don't need the notifications for TripIt pro) but the iCal / iPhone calendar integration doesn't work consistency and this is the biggest feature I use.

I've been trying worldmate which I have used many years ago which is OK but doesn't seem to accept all emails forwarded to them. Kayak My Trips seems to work better, is a better interface, but doesn't seem to provide a calendar feed? You can subscribe to each trip one-by-one (!) http://www.kayak.com/help/tripscalendar#iPhone which seems ludicrous to me...can't seem to find a way to get a feed on Kayak My Trips like what TripIt has - does anyone know?

We're in 2015 now with loads of start ups - are there any other competitors? Google Now kind of does this but only shows trips coming up, when they are the day before/day of, instead of seeing ALL trips in the queue.

I would love it if there was a Google equivalent of TripIt - then I wouldn't event have to forward the email!!

Any suggestions (or rants) appreciated!!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions for a serious replacement for TripIt. Their iPhone app is slow, clunky and buggy - it also is in desperate need of a UI refresh!

I've kept my patience with TripIt because it's free (I don't need the notifications for TripIt pro) but the iCal / iPhone calendar integration doesn't work consistency and this is the biggest feature I use.

I've been trying worldmate which I have used many years ago which is OK but doesn't seem to accept all emails forwarded to them. Kayak My Trips seems to work better, is a better interface, but doesn't seem to provide a calendar feed? You can subscribe to each trip one-by-one (!) http://www.kayak.com/help/tripscalendar#iPhone which seems ludicrous to me...can't seem to find a way to get a feed on Kayak My Trips like what TripIt has - does anyone know?

We're in 2015 now with loads of start ups - are there any other competitors? Google Now kind of does this but only shows trips coming up, when they are the day before/day of, instead of seeing ALL trips in the queue.

I would love it if there was a Google equivalent of TripIt - then I wouldn't event have to forward the email!!

Any suggestions (or rants) appreciated!!
I have used tripit in the past and I to found it buggy and not done well. I have changed to World Mate, and have been satisfied with the service. I use the gold service for $ 9.99 I have no problem with the Ical feed or notifications. Have not tried any of the others used mentioned so I can not comment on them. Maybe if you went to gold instead of the free version it may solve your problems.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've had good luck with TripIt (free for years, pro for the last 18 months as I get it free through my employer) and haven't had issues with Calendar Feeds (outside of the update to HTTPS several months ago).

That said, I find myself using it less and less on Mobile as Google Now integration gets more and more robust. My only complaint with Google Now is that it still provides cards for reservations you've canceled... it either needs to start understanding cancellation emails (which I'm sure it will eventually) or somehow let you manually edit/delete reservations (quite unlikely).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:46 pm

I've been OK with TripIt Free since WSJ reviewed it a very long time ago. I was Pro for a little while (wasn't it free for Amex of something) but can't recall ever using any of the features of Pro. Still with it with Free now.

My calendar setup is so roundabout, I couldn't even explain it or recall all over. But, suffice it to say that the integration in Google Calendar, i[Device] Calendar app or Calendar on a Mac is less that stellar. But, ususally requires reclicking on the link for the calendar to re-install it. Go figure.

Don't use the TripIt App on my iDevices. Just really use the web site to aggregate the reservations and then "download" them to various Calendars (see previous paragraph). It works. And, lately, a fairly workable solution which, when it breaks down, I know what to do to fix it (rant coming, breathe, rant ending) and that's a good thing.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I've had good luck with TripIt (free for years, pro for the last 18 months as I get it free through my employer) and haven't had issues with Calendar Feeds (outside of the update to HTTPS several months ago).

That said, I find myself using it less and less on Mobile as Google Now integration gets more and more robust. My only complaint with Google Now is that it still provides cards for reservations you've canceled... it either needs to start understanding cancellation emails (which I'm sure it will eventually) or somehow let you manually edit/delete reservations (quite unlikely).
I agree - I haven't had any issues with TripIt calendar integration (into Google Calendar via ical feeds).

Doesn't help iPhone users like OP, but Google Now calendar entries can integrate into Google Calendar directly - and past events remain accessible. However, in Google Now/Calendar, besides cancelled reservations, it also shows 'held' reservations (at least from AA) and no obvious way to edit/delete them. Google Now/Calendar also doesn't show my car reservations.

So I'm still using TripIt until Google integration gets better.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:37 am
Original Poster

THanks all for the responses - looks like I've got to get used to TripIt until something comes around better - or at least they upgrade their hideous UI.

Kayak My Trips is lacking the calendar integration via live feed and the 20 min delay on having trips show up needs to seriously speed up - TripIt is instant!

flightrisk - thx for the tip, didn't know google calendar already integrated the flights/hotels in the calendar. it's OK but doesn't look as clean as the tripit integration with ical so I'll have to stick to that for now... !
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THanks all for the responses - looks like I've got to get used to TripIt until something comes around better - or at least they upgrade their hideous UI.

Kayak My Trips is lacking the calendar integration via live feed and the 20 min delay on having trips show up needs to seriously speed up - TripIt is instant!

flightrisk - thx for the tip, didn't know google calendar already integrated the flights/hotels in the calendar. it's OK but doesn't look as clean as the tripit integration with ical so I'll have to stick to that for now... !
I'm not sure what you mean regarding Kayak. You can get a webcal feed of all your Kayak trips. I've never noticed a delay in getting new trips to show up.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
I found the TripIt calendar subscription frustrating with seemingly randomly timed updates - usually frustratingly slow - but then had a "duh" moment when I found you could set the update frequency in Calendar. Changing that seems to make it work better.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quick_dry
I found the TripIt calendar subscription frustrating with seemingly randomly timed updates - usually frustratingly slow - but then had a "duh" moment when I found you could set the update frequency in Calendar. Changing that seems to make it work better.
do you set this in the tripit app on the ical or tripit online? thx
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
This makes me miss Blackberry Travel. That app was great until I went IOS and have never found a suitable replacement that worked as well as that app did.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Tripcase. Auto fed from my companies agent - CWT, other reservations can be pulled in.

Calendar feeds fine into Google and onward shared with my wife. Good notifications of events, again shared with my wife. She gets a mail to say my flight landed at 03:30am and I don't need to disturb her.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
do you set this in the tripit app on the ical or tripit online? thx
on ical, in the left hand column where it lists all your calendars - right click then calendar you want and select "get info". Ten you can set the frequency
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
There are several threads comparing these apps in the Travel Tools forum:
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Of all the services I tested (including TripIt), only WorldMate recognized all the details of my flights when I forwarded the confirmation emails.
Its iOS app also was the easiest at entering hotels etc.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:06 am

I tend to favor WorldMate, but wish it had better support for Restaurants and other non-travel-specific. I find the TripIt website to be horrible in terms of UI. I've recently started playing with TripCase. Seems to parse all the emails I've forwarded without issue, and I like that it supports many activity types. Both website and iOS app for TripCase are decent as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.