Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 16, 14, 10:15 am   #1

Kayak Pro vs TripIt - Recent Experience

For some time, I have been sending my info to both TripIt (Free not Pro) and Kayak to see which one was best for me. Today I had a conference confirmation which was essentially a manual email from a person confirming the details. I sent it to both Kayak and TripIt, not really expecting anything other than for it to flag as unreadable.

TripIt: Flagged the mail and let me parse and add in the information manually.
Kayak: Sent me a note that they were working on it. 30 minutes later, it was automatically added to the correct trip without my doing anything.

Also today I made a change to flight and hotel reservations and sent the updates in.

TripIt: Flagged the new airline update as conflict and let me easily resolve the conflict. Just added both hotel reservations without flagging any conflict.
Kayak: Replaced the old airline reservation with the new one. Replaced the old hotel reservation with the new one.

Neither were bad experiences, but I have to admit, Kayak impressed me with what must be human intervention for the complex or non-standard confirmations.
learned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 14, 9:43 am   #2

Programs: US Air Chairman, Marriott PP, Amtrak, Hertz
Have to say I'm impressed with Kayak too ...... I hadn't utilized this feature before but after reading your note sent my stash of confirms to Kayak to try it out - it even imported two emails with nothing more than dates and links to a house rental (summer vacation) .......

going to continue to try both Tripit and Kayak for a while to find the differences .......
fmastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 14, 11:31 am   #3

I just tried all four services at once and had a pretty similar experience. Kayak, Tripcase, Tripit, WorldMate.

Kayak nailed it with my house rental reservation which was an unstructured e-mail and pdf. I agree it was almost like a human did it.

Now Tripcase surprised me because at first it didn't register my house rental but about half an hour later I got an e-mail which did. It wasn't as well done as Kayak, it wasn't merged with my trip and not all the forms were filled out but I do give them honorable mention because it seems like they are implementing the same kind of system.

Worldmate gets a point because it automatically merged my flight/car/rental into one trip. The others broke it into two or three separate trips even though they knew where my home city was and that my flight there was obviously my flight home, not a new trip. However, merging is easy to do manually so isn't as big a deal.

Tripit just sucked, it didn't get any of the above. I hooked it up to my gmail to scan and it didn't find any of my confirmation e-mails (i'm not sure if it only works for e-mails coming in after the fact, but it does not make this clear so it is still a fail in the user experience). On top of that it costs the most and you have to pay for something as basic as flight alerts which is ridiculous in this day and age with a million free flight alert apps or from the airline itself and visually it looks the worst. I see no reason to use it.
truth1ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 14, 1:40 pm   #4

I have TripIt, WorldMate, TripCase, and Kayak Pro. I don't have the pay TripIt. I am not sure why one would want it especially considering the price. I like an use them all. I like WorldMate and TripCase especially for their alternative flights. I guess you could use Kayak to search alternative flights but while you are searching I already have the information.

I don't find any of them including apps for the airline all that great for notifying you of changes to flight schedules.

Shak
Shak51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 14, 12:11 pm   #5

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak51 View Post
I have TripIt, WorldMate, TripCase, and Kayak Pro. I don't have the pay TripIt. I am not sure why one would want it especially considering the price. I like an use them all. I like WorldMate and TripCase especially for their alternative flights. I guess you could use Kayak to search alternative flights but while you are searching I already have the information.

I don't find any of them including apps for the airline all that great for notifying you of changes to flight schedules.

Shak
FWIW I've had pretty good experience with Kayak as far as alerting me to flight delays.
md25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 14, 10:16 pm   #6

Programs: WN, UA, AA
Love TripCase but don't care for tripit - the account setup was brutally long with tons of personal info required. Haven't tried kayak pro yet.

Most used feature of tripcase app: driving direction to the next point of the trip.
lvovsky is offline   Reply With Quote