Reload this Page >

I need a laptop with Windows XP and Office 2003 --don't laugh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need a laptop with Windows XP and Office 2003 --don't laugh

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by cubbie
... Loved One needs to be able to work in Word and Excel 2003 and with XP away from the home office at times --- does not need to get on the internet while he's doing that or email files. He can wait til he gets back to a safe computer to do that ...
For traveling light, I use a 2 years old Sony Viao (downgraded from Win8.x to Win7 Ultimate ...) and when I'm lounging around the house, the bigger Dell laptop in the living room/home office den. Seen here is the 10 years old Dell Latitude, that's good for basics, I take that into the field sometimes - it's slower but tweaked & serviced for its intended use - running Win7 (designed for XP). You can get a decent one in "B" grade conditions to start with for $50 to $100 via eBay. Max'd out the memory & bigger HDD (I didn't bother with SSD) - maybe a fresh OEM battery, it's good to go.

Look closely at the desktop monitor screen - I was on one of client's location earlier this month, re-loading Windows ME (seriously, for good laugh - really, for real) as their office is setup to use a # of dedicated & older Dell GX2xx desktops to run ME/2000 only due to discontinued/outdated accounting software and its synergy with dot-matrix printers for (non-laser) check printing. With 2 port KVM switch, employees are otherwise using PC running Win7 on newer/current Apps connecting via ethernet ports, sharing printers & other resources, etc. Those standalone ME machines are not connected at all with minimal risks and it gets their "job" for their customers done. (VirtualBox worked but was ruled out for a # of reasons.) Yes, they are SLOW and do occassionally freeze up when "pushed" to run their App - 99.5% functional, otherwise and not a big deal.

The challenges facing you & your PC person are to check ahead & make sure that the newer laptop is backward compatible with the device drivers & apps to run on XP (and whichever version of MS Office.) The biggest risks for the standalone & non-networked machine are from infected USB thumb drives (layers of defenses in place)

It can be done ! Not laughing as I'm with you - surely, you are aware of the risks & limitations, etc. and your loved one is well informed. Go for it - check out the Dell Direct Sales USA site for off-leased laptops.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by WillCAD
To use XP, you will have to use old software, including old browsers. Old browsers don't render modern web pages properly. Old security software is useless against modern viruses, Trojans, and adware.

Operating an XP machine that gets online, even for only a few minutes a day, is the computational equivalent of driving a car with no rearview mirrors and no seatbelts on an interstate highway.
Reads like MS FUD. Exactly what stops you from using the latest version of Firefox or Opera? Running a firewall either on the computer or at the router? Running modern AV? Just because MS stopped support, it doesnät mean you'll die overnight if you continue using XP

BTW - a tiny reg hack and XP continues to receive updates from MS...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Reads like MS FUD. Exactly what stops you from using the latest version of Firefox or Opera? Running a firewall either on the computer or at the router? Running modern AV? Just because MS stopped support, it doesnät mean you'll die overnight if you continue using XP

BTW - a tiny reg hack and XP continues to receive updates from MS...
Well, let's see...

Do the most recent versions of those browsers support XP? DO they operate on it and do all of their functions operate on it?

Do the most recent versions of all of the various plug-ins you need for those browsers support XP?

Do modern AV apps support XP? And sure, I run a firewall on my router, but that's not 100% effective as long as there is allowed network traffic, so you absolutely have to have software firewalls and AV software at the client level, and they have to be capable of stopping the current threats, which means they have to be continuously updated.

And how is it that a registry hack will enable you to keep receiving something that MS no longer creates and sends out? When they stopped support for XP, it meant they no longer create security or other critical updates for the OS, so what is this magic reg hack of which you speak?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:38 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by cubbie
There's a lot of interesting stuff for me to reflect on and reply to in this thread, but let me just interject here that this IS the situation: Loved One needs to be able to work in Word and Excel 2003 and with XP away from the home office at times --- sometimes in another part of the house, sometimes at a customer's house. He does not need to get on the internet while he's doing that or email files. He can wait til he gets back to a safe computer to do that. He just needs to be able to work on Word and Excel files, alone or with a customer, in the version he's comfortable with (2003 or using something like Ubit that will emulate 2003).
If your SO only uses Word &Excel, and Word & Excel only, the OS release is almost irrelevant. Just add both shortcuts in the desktop and half of the problem solved!

Just in case, convert the Win7 appearance to Classic shell and it will be very similar (at least at first look) tomWin XP ^
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
And how is it that a registry hack will enable you to keep receiving something that MS no longer creates and sends out? When they stopped support for XP, it meant they no longer create security or other critical updates for the OS, so what is this magic reg hack of which you speak?
<Raises hand> I actually posted it in the related "If XP is dead..." thread a few weeks ago:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23103...s-rolling.html

Essentially, you can fool Microsoft into thinking your machine is an ATM, which they still are supporting. And, um, since it's ATMs we're talking about, we're all assuming that Microsoft is still creating security and other critical updates for the OS. <shrugs>

Still, I agree, XP has no future. One thing not otherwise mentioned: New printers will likely not include drivers for XP, so if you happen to get a new printer for your old XP machine, that's a whole 'nother set of issues.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:09 am
HMO

If I'm not wrong, MS Virtual PC can create a XP virtual machine inside the current OS. I haven't used it in ages, could someone confirm?

It might be another way to have an XP environment.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, let's see...

Do the most recent versions of those browsers support XP? DO they operate on it and do all of their functions operate on it?

Do the most recent versions of all of the various plug-ins you need for those browsers support XP?
Here Firefox and Opera do. IE - who cares?

Do modern AV apps support XP?
Again - here yes. It's the AV engine that counts, not the pretty UI, but you know that.

MS do create the patches. The simple hack makes XP think it's an embedded POS system - which IS still supported by MS.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMO
If I'm not wrong, MS Virtual PC can create a XP virtual machine inside the current OS. I haven't used it in ages, could someone confirm?

I'm posting this from a VMware-hosted virtual machine running XP inside a Win 7 box.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by HMO

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I'm posting this from a VMware-hosted virtual machine running XP inside a Win 7 box.
You might be interested in Windows XP Mode included with Windows 7. It's a fully licensed virtual instance of Windows XP that comes with Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:20 am

I used windows all my life... as far back as windows 3.1.... yes I am an old stubborn old geezer

could not stand win 8 after 6 months... went back to old pc with win xp... but wanted a faster machine.

until I bought a new MacBook earlier this year. All I could say was WOW!!!

it was so easy to use and i didn't even need Microsoft Office no more.

my last apple computer was the apple II from 1980s. So glad to be free from windows 8.

i also have a chromebook laptop which is also very easy to use.

just saying there are other options besides windows 8.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:51 am
HMO

The major problem (for me) to move to an Apple computer is the price tag...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by HMO
I understand. That was what held me back and kept in the Micro$oft prison.

however, I bit the bullet and switched to Macs after Microsoft creates the idiotic windows 8.
now everyday I fire up my macbook, it brings a big smile to my face. It is once again a joy to use a computer again. (No, I'm not paid by Apple. ... in fact, I absolutely hate Apple's other product, the iPhone)
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by HMO
The price tag of Apple computer had actually came down quite a bit. Looking at the same hardware, buying a PC or Windows laptop is only about 20% cheaper. The problem with Apple, for me, are the software and game support. I have a macbook but I am booting it to windows so I could run some of the programs.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Need
The price tag of Apple computer had actually came down quite a bit. Looking at the same hardware, buying a PC or Windows laptop is only about 20% cheaper. The problem with Apple, for me, are the software and game support. I have a macbook but I am booting it to windows so I could run some of the programs.
Getting a Mac is the best of both worlds. I converted to Mac OS several months ago. I installed Windows on it as well, thinking I would need to use it for something. During the last 6 months, I have not booted into Windows even once. Of course, there might be special software that will only run Windows.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Karelia
Getting a Mac is the best of both worlds. I converted to Mac OS several months ago. I installed Windows on it as well, thinking I would need to use it for something. During the last 6 months, I have not booted into Windows even once. Of course, there might be special software that will only run Windows.
In our family the kids started off on the Mac train, I joined them a few years later and never looked back. The old XP PC is still used from time to time for certain tasks, but I am blissfully unaware of later incarnations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.