Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Does "Please Reset Your Password" mean "We Were Hacked"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber

There's been a slew of hackings. Next thing I notice, that in order to "enhance security", sites want me to reset my password.

Gets me wondering about previous requests for password change. One was my credit union. Does this mean they were hacked, don't have to report, and doing the predictable spin?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:45 am

Some websites and security schemes have a "timeout" set, so every X number of days, the system itself automatically asks you to reset your passwords without any particular incident prompting the need to change. That's a possibility too.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some sites upgrade their security, and if they did things right, they were unable to move passwords over (since they were encrypted).
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: all
either that or a time based password change
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heartbleed.

Basic security precautions say all security credentials from when you were running the bad code are suspect. This doesn't mean they *WERE* hacked, just that they don't know if they were hacked or not.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Does this mean they were hacked, don't have to report, and doing the predictable spin?
It certainly doesn't definitively mean that. As noted, there are many reasons.

It could also just be a proactive "wow, hacker capabilities are getting better, maybe we had better strengthen our password requiremetns and ask everyone to reset/meet them" measure.

I've had a few that added new "upper/lower/special/numeric" combinations for passwords, and require everyone to renew, whether or not they already meet the new standards.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:59 am

Always - not, usually - yes.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:41 am
Suspended

Maybe related to heartbleed?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Worried after hearing/learning about that 1.2 billion stolen/exposed passwords & userid associated with the Russians?

It's best practices to use 2-steps verification and/or a strong password system - and, update/manage your notification/alert info to reset and security/challenge questions. Many upgraded systems are deploying more advanced ip-based systems to invoke additional security counter-measures when potential intrusions exist.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:54 am

"I, for one, welcome our new Russian hacker overlords" (Twitter). For anyone interested, here's the NY Times article on the Russian password theft. This is why it's time to change your password.

Last edited by boberonicus; Aug 6, 2014 at 9:23 am
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:28 am
HMO

Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
Some websites and security schemes have a "timeout" set, so every X number of days, the system itself automatically asks you to reset your passwords without any particular incident prompting the need to change. That's a possibility too.
i had a client where they were obligated to change their passwords every 5 weeks, cannot repeat the last 10 passwords used, and the key must be at least 12 digits, a combination of lower/upper letters, numbers and symbols.

If you need to use someone computer, it was just looking under the keyboard - almost everybody had a paper glued there with the current password - after a couple of changes, probably nobody was able to remember their last one...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Our office system enforce a 90 days policy on changing password to comply with HIPAA security precaution for data privacy and the same pw cannot be re-used until the 7th rotation, with a reminder 10+ days before expiration. And, surely cyber intruder(s) cannot physically look under the mouse pad for the sticky note used by many and it's easier if you know their assigned & unique userid scheme (insider's breach.)

Some financial sites would disable the userid/pw combo after a period of inactivity, 6 months to a year+ and require new user registration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.