Wiki Posts
Search

Use VPN when on Cell Data?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT plat; Delta Gold; Marriott LT titanium; Hilton Silver
Use VPN when on Cell Data?

I recently began using a personal VPN (Cloak) for public wi-fi locations. I am in the US. Recently used my iPhone's personal hotspot feature so I could access the internet on my wi-fi only iPad. I noticed that the VPN came on automatically.

Do others utilize a personal VPN when connecting through your cellular device (in my case, AT&T)? What are the pros and cons of doing so?

Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:00 am

One pro is that you can access "banned" sites when in places where there is internet censorship such as China. Another pro is that if your VPN IP address matches up, you can access content from sites which limit access to IP addresses to certain regions.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:05 am

pros:

tethering cellular to another device for "free" hotspot, instead of paying for separate data for separate devices.

look up different vpn apps if that's what you are into.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Doesn't a VPN add some overhead to the data carried? If so, one con would be more of your data plan used than if you weren't using a VPN.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by djk7
Doesn't a VPN add some overhead to the data carried? If so, one con would be more of your data plan used than if you weren't using a VPN.
That certainly seems to be the case with me: heavy use of VPN due to being in China. 70% of my data is just for the VPN...so I have to keep switching it on and off, a bit of a pain.

tb
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:17 pm
Suspended

i use it but there are some troube with my vpn client i dont know how.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Extra data consumption caused purely by the fact that you're connected to a VPN is not substantial. What you're actually trying to do over that connection will be far more relevant to your level of data consumption, but that consumption would be the same whether you're connected to VPN or not.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
Extra data consumption caused purely by the fact that you're connected to a VPN is not substantial. What you're actually trying to do over that connection will be far more relevant to your level of data consumption, but that consumption would be the same whether you're connected to VPN or not.
This is what I'd have thought too.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:06 pm
Suspended

the problem is some provider block traffic and or use a proxy server do down convert the images.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Also possible that by using a VPN, your VPN software could compress the payload data being transmitted and received, more than making up for the additional protocol overhead, and therefore could actually reduce the amount of data that your cell phone carrier will charge against your account.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:59 pm
Suspended

normaly it ilegal to manipulate the data beween the webserver and the client.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I only use a VPN (Tunnelbear) when I need to access a betting site back in the UK when I am in the US.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:35 pm

An interesting YouTube provides fairly definitive proof that Verizon is throttling NetFlix (and who knows what else), and that accessing them through a VPN improves performance SUBSTANTIALLY.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by deubster
An interesting YouTube provides fairly definitive proof that Verizon is throttling NetFlix (and who knows what else), and that accessing them through a VPN improves performance SUBSTANTIALLY.
Arstechnica has a very good article about this. Makes me glad I don't have Verizon!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well, I still find the approach to mobiles in the US monopolistic and, compared to what I am used to in the UK where I can get a SIM a lot easier than the US, mobile companies archaic. I am sure they know what they are doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.