Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Power Strip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Travel Power Strip

I'm looking for a travel power strip (3 plugs) that will work internationally (110v-240v)

I've read lots of threads here on this, but the top recommended items are either:

A) Out of stock/Discontinued
B) Only 110v and not compatible for international travel
C) All three plugs are side-by-side vs 2 front/1 back - three on one side limits side-by-side large plugs

Any suggestions?

Last edited by MichaelKade; Jul 16, 2014 at 1:07 pm
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I have one of these (<$2 from a local hardware store) and have used it (with a plug adapter) with no issues to charge my phone, tablet, and laptop in the US, Canada, UK, Netherlands, France, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, S Korea, and Japan. It's not a strip and, as such, may not fit into smaller spaces, but works pretty well in most of my use cases. Also not fancy, if that matters to you.

Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

This is great, thanks! Ever use them with 3-prong to 2-prong adapters for spots where there is no hole for the grounding plug?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:42 pm

I prefer this $20 Outlet to Go strip. It includes three grounded plugs, a USB charger, can be used internationally, and (unlike the little cube) won't conflict with other users of the same outlet. Also, this one works better with "wall warts" that have a heavy transformer attached to the prongs. On the con side, this one is more expensive, heavier, and bulkier than the little cube.

Using 3 prong to 2 prong adapters is generally a bad idea, unless all devices you're using don't require a ground.

Last edited by boberonicus; Jul 16, 2014 at 1:53 pm
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:48 pm

I use that attached to a short (1-1.5 ft) extension cord. Simple and cheap.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boberonicus
Using 3 prong to 2 prong adapters is generally a bad idea, unless all devices you're using don't require a ground.
None require a ground. In fact if I could get an ungrounded cube that'd be it.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Maybe I'll just snap the ground off...
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
This is great, thanks! Ever use them with 3-prong to 2-prong adapters for spots where there is no hole for the grounding plug?
I honestly can't recall ever encountering an outlet that didn't accommodate the ground plug while on the road.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:07 pm

I love our Conair Travel Smart All In One.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-A...avel+converter

It includes:

built-in international adapter plugs
built-in surge protector
100-240v input
3 power outlets (2 fully international)
1 USB port
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:24 pm

I have been using this one in Asia and Europe (both 110V and 220V) and it works great! I like the long cord.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: Platinum
I use one of these, only $1.50 at Home Depot: http://t.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft-16...017/100672781/

Have used it in Asia, UK, and Europe. I attach an international adapter to the male end and a Monoprice 4 port USB adapter to the other end. I also share the power outlet at the airport if there's a crowd.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
A) Out of stock/Discontinued
Wow, indeed. It looks like the Monster Outlets-To-Go 3/4 have been discontinued! Amazon still has a few, but the price is over double what it's been in the past

If you can get one at a good price I'd strongly recommend any of the Monster OTG strips (they come in 3, 3+USB, or 4 sockets). They don't say they are 240 volt, but Monster has confirmed that they are (see the reviews on Amazon).

They aren't the smallest out there, but they are a good compromise between size and useability - I normally travel with one of them and a smaller single-plug version that I bought in Singapore.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frankmu
I use one of these, only $1.50 at Home Depot: http://t.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft-16...017/100672781/

Have used it in Asia, UK, and Europe. I attach an international adapter to the male end and a Monoprice 4 port USB adapter to the other end. I also share the power outlet at the airport if there's a crowd.
Adapter and not converter, correct?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by frankmu

I routinely carry a similar extension cord in my pack, use it in hotels where there are no convenient outlets, use it with a plug converter overseas. 9 feet is a convenient length.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Wow, indeed. It looks like the Monster Outlets-To-Go 3/4 have been discontinued! Amazon still has a few, but the price is over double what it's been in the past

If you can get one at a good price I'd strongly recommend any of the Monster OTG strips (they come in 3, 3+USB, or 4 sockets). They don't say they are 240 volt, but Monster has confirmed that they are (see the reviews on Amazon).

They aren't the smallest out there, but they are a good compromise between size and useability - I normally travel with one of them and a smaller single-plug version that I bought in Singapore.
You can order one for $20 using the link in post #4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.