Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Travel Power Strip

Travel Power Strip

Old Jul 16, 14, 12:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA - EXP
Posts: 1,223
Travel Power Strip

I'm looking for a travel power strip (3 plugs) that will work internationally (110v-240v)

I've read lots of threads here on this, but the top recommended items are either:

A) Out of stock/Discontinued
B) Only 110v and not compatible for international travel
C) All three plugs are side-by-side vs 2 front/1 back - three on one side limits side-by-side large plugs



Any suggestions?

Last edited by MichaelKade; Jul 16, 14 at 1:07 pm
MichaelKade is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 1:13 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gggrrrovvveee (ORD)
Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,034
I have one of these (<$2 from a local hardware store) and have used it (with a plug adapter) with no issues to charge my phone, tablet, and laptop in the US, Canada, UK, Netherlands, France, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, S Korea, and Japan. It's not a strip and, as such, may not fit into smaller spaces, but works pretty well in most of my use cases. Also not fancy, if that matters to you.

gobluetwo is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 1:29 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA - EXP
Posts: 1,223
This is great, thanks! Ever use them with 3-prong to 2-prong adapters for spots where there is no hole for the grounding plug?
MichaelKade is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 1:42 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 1,098
I prefer this $20 Outlet to Go strip. It includes three grounded plugs, a USB charger, can be used internationally, and (unlike the little cube) won't conflict with other users of the same outlet. Also, this one works better with "wall warts" that have a heavy transformer attached to the prongs. On the con side, this one is more expensive, heavier, and bulkier than the little cube.

Using 3 prong to 2 prong adapters is generally a bad idea, unless all devices you're using don't require a ground.

Last edited by boberonicus; Jul 16, 14 at 1:53 pm
boberonicus is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 1:48 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,049
I use that attached to a short (1-1.5 ft) extension cord. Simple and cheap.
jonu is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 1:57 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA - EXP
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by boberonicus View Post
Using 3 prong to 2 prong adapters is generally a bad idea, unless all devices you're using don't require a ground.
None require a ground. In fact if I could get an ungrounded cube that'd be it.
MichaelKade is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 1:58 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA - EXP
Posts: 1,223
Maybe I'll just snap the ground off...
MichaelKade is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 2:09 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gggrrrovvveee (ORD)
Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,034
Originally Posted by MichaelKade View Post
This is great, thanks! Ever use them with 3-prong to 2-prong adapters for spots where there is no hole for the grounding plug?
I honestly can't recall ever encountering an outlet that didn't accommodate the ground plug while on the road.
gobluetwo is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 4:07 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: LAX adjacent
Posts: 107
I love our Conair Travel Smart All In One.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-A...avel+converter

It includes:

built-in international adapter plugs
built-in surge protector
100-240v input
3 power outlets (2 fully international)
1 USB port
BeachRat is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 8:24 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,271
I have been using this one in Asia and Europe (both 110V and 220V) and it works great! I like the long cord.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Need is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 8:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: PDX (wish I was in HNL)
Programs: UA Silver/GE
Posts: 1,629
I use one of these, only $1.50 at Home Depot: http://t.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft-16...017/100672781/

Have used it in Asia, UK, and Europe. I attach an international adapter to the male end and a Monoprice 4 port USB adapter to the other end. I also share the power outlet at the airport if there's a crowd.
frankmu is online now  
Old Jul 16, 14, 8:46 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 7,153
Originally Posted by MichaelKade View Post
A) Out of stock/Discontinued
Wow, indeed. It looks like the Monster Outlets-To-Go 3/4 have been discontinued! Amazon still has a few, but the price is over double what it's been in the past

If you can get one at a good price I'd strongly recommend any of the Monster OTG strips (they come in 3, 3+USB, or 4 sockets). They don't say they are 240 volt, but Monster has confirmed that they are (see the reviews on Amazon).

They aren't the smallest out there, but they are a good compromise between size and useability - I normally travel with one of them and a smaller single-plug version that I bought in Singapore.
docbert is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 9:22 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA - EXP
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by frankmu View Post
I use one of these, only $1.50 at Home Depot: http://t.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft-16...017/100672781/

Have used it in Asia, UK, and Europe. I attach an international adapter to the male end and a Monoprice 4 port USB adapter to the other end. I also share the power outlet at the airport if there's a crowd.
Adapter and not converter, correct?
MichaelKade is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 9:30 pm
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,693
Cool

Originally Posted by frankmu View Post
I use one of these, only $1.50 at Home Depot: http://t.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft-16...017/100672781/

Have used it in Asia, UK, and Europe. I attach an international adapter to the male end and a Monoprice 4 port USB adapter to the other end. I also share the power outlet at the airport if there's a crowd.
I routinely carry a similar extension cord in my pack, use it in hotels where there are no convenient outlets, use it with a plug converter overseas. 9 feet is a convenient length.
Doc Savage is offline  
Old Jul 16, 14, 10:45 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Wow, indeed. It looks like the Monster Outlets-To-Go 3/4 have been discontinued! Amazon still has a few, but the price is over double what it's been in the past

If you can get one at a good price I'd strongly recommend any of the Monster OTG strips (they come in 3, 3+USB, or 4 sockets). They don't say they are 240 volt, but Monster has confirmed that they are (see the reviews on Amazon).

They aren't the smallest out there, but they are a good compromise between size and useability - I normally travel with one of them and a smaller single-plug version that I bought in Singapore.
You can order one for $20 using the link in post #4.
boberonicus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: