2014: Favorite iOS/iPad/iPhone Apps

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014: Favorite iOS/iPad/iPhone Apps

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
OK, so my contribution (and some of these are going to be obvious to most)

- Worldmate (see previous post). It has really helped me out of jams by letting me know early enough that my flight is delayed so I'm not rushing to the airport unnecessarily on busy days and also letting me feel like I'm one of the first to try to switch flights). If nothing else, knowing that I'll have a notification pop up on my phone telling me my flight is late gives me peace of mind. And it will track gate changes too.
- Iexit has come in pretty handy lately. As I'm driving around on the interstate in areas I'm not familiar with, I can search what's on the next few exits and I can filter by category. So it lets you search for food in the next 20 miles.
- Gateguru. Because sometimes I have to decide between having my shoes shined at my departure airport, connection airport, or arrival airport. And it also helps me figure out where to eat while on my layovers. It has a feature that lets you update wait times at security but I have not used it. I feel it's made the difference between an airport meal I can tolerate and a pre-packaged turkey sandwich I have learned to love
Waze - because people update it as they drive around. It's saved me from a few tickets and quite a few traffic jams.
Spotify - because i can download pretty much any album I want. A few trusty albums and playlists saved on the phone have made many a flight appear bearable.

I may try tetherme. I used to be able to tether from my phone but it would disconnect me if I received a phone call. I have a wifi hotspot now, but one less thing to carry and charge would be nice.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by fsuj25
I love worldmate for this. you email all your reservations (car, hotel, flight) and it will track them for you. it has a calendar sync feature but I don't care for it, it creates a new calendar on outlook for you. It may work well for the iphone but I have not really tried it.

Besides tracking all your travel and sending you reminders, the really useful feature for me is the flight monitoring. It's $9.99 per year (or free for 90 days every time you book a hotel room with them). I find it way more reliable than the Southwest app (which I find useless for tracking flight status). Delta's app is a way more reliable now, but Worldmate is usually on point. I usually split my itineraries between southwest and delta so Worldmate helps me feel grounded, so to speak.
If worldmate monitors the 3 GDS and airline websites, why would you need to forward confirmation emails? The entry of new reservations should be just the PNR and last name. I suspect you are confusing the matter the same as the above posters.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:21 am

Hands Free tweak

Via cydia for jb iphones only
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/07/12/handsfree/
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:48 am

Another update on 2 tweaks

These two tweaks are now compatible: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/07...nice-together/
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:27 am

Saurik speaks

Not sure where to post so Moderator please feel free to move. The creator of Cydia just put this long post up and I thought it would be of interest to those who tweak this iphones.

http://www.saurik.com/id/20
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Loungebuddy has become one of my most used apps, because it collects information on airline lounges that would otherwise be hard to get from multiple websites, or sometimes is hard to find even on FT. Examples include keeping track of which lounges for which airline (or the increasing independent lounges) that multiple credit cards or priority pass will get you into or not, rules for guests, reviews to help decide which to go to, and directions for which gate a particular lounge is near.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Originally Posted by Colin
If worldmate monitors the 3 GDS and airline websites, why would you need to forward confirmation emails? The entry of new reservations should be just the PNR and last name. I suspect you are confusing the matter the same as the above posters.
Not sure about the GDS. Worldmate sends you notifications and reminders that affect your itinerary, so you foward your confirmation emails so the program knows what flights you're taking, what rental car reservation you have, etc.
Does that make sense?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:47 pm

no. what happens when the airline, due to schedule
changes, rebooks you automatically onto differrebt flight numbers? without access to the current pnr, the app service would noteet the need I presented.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:54 am

I just discovered ANGL. It is a live-streaming social networking app. When you start streaming, other users can see it on a map. I can imagine in the future, if I should not be able to travel somewhere, maybe I can get someone`s live impressions from that place.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum & Hilton Diamond
Just got back from three weeks European tour (inc. Mallorca, Berlin and London) and was using CreateTrips as a planning app and offline maps. Worked for me! ^
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kuki
Just got back from three weeks European tour (inc. Mallorca, Berlin and London) and was using CreateTrips as a planning app and offline maps. Worked for me! ^
Anybody else use apps like CreateTrips for managing itineraries from the perspective of what to do, where to stay and what to eat etc.? I tried CreateTrips but I don't find it that useful and the fact that they charge for offline mode is kind of ridiculous.

Have you guys encountered any other better apps for this? What are you thoughts about the TripAdvisor app?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I use Kayak My Trips for building itineraries.

It will auto populate your airline and hotel reservations automatically if you forward the confirmation emails.

Then I fill in other events like the things I want to see, restaurants, etc from other sources. It's mainly to build up some printable itinerary, not so much to have some travel guide with information like addresses and hours of various attractions.

I think you get that with travel apps or eBooks, which are electronic versions of travel guide books.

Or for something more customized, I've played with Triposo and it will fill in a custom guide based on the kinds of things you want to see and you can read through it.

But I prefer hard copies so I don't have to pull out the device, though now with my iPad Mini Retina, I guess I could try that.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:22 am

Humin - just released

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/13/hum...p-store-today/

Requires access to number of accounts, including FB. Might not work for those concerned with their privacy?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Flying App: hey guys, has anyone had a chance to check out the Flying app? I've been using it to track miles across all airlines and to connect with friends of mine that are traveling too. They got some cool features and I've actually found the notifications to be faster than with the UA app (my primary) and than the Tripit Pro. They do a direct sync with Tripit and it's really pretty user friendly. I've had some interaction with them, especially since it came back into the AppStore. They're pretty good about responding to feedback and support and sounds like they've got some cool ideas coming and Android in Q1.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:06 pm

Anyone used the Flying app? Just got it forwarded from a good friend and it looks pretty cool. Curious to know what people think. Looks like they have some cool design and their notifications are coming faster than my UA app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.