Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - Israel (and non-prepaid)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joshwex90
Israel has full-service carriers and MVNOs (to the consumer, there is ZERO difference between the 2!)

Full Service
  • Orange (also known as Partner Communications)
  • Cellcom - Promotion: 2 unlimited cellphone, 15 MBs home internet (sapak only), and home phone line with unlimited calling - NIS 199/month for 6 months (after which price increases to NIS 249)
  • Pelephone
  • HOT Mobile* (Note: stores are closed Saturday night, contrary to what's listed on the website). HOT Mobile customers benefit from free internet service ("sapak") through HOTnet (though must still purchase "tashtit."
  • Golan Telecom*

MVNOs*
  • Rami Levi Communications
  • YouPhone (also known as Alon Cellular) - Current promotion: NIS 39/month for first 4 months for unlimited talk/text and unlimited internet (speed throttled after 1GB). After 4 months, price goes up to NIS 79. Add NIS 10 to increase base internet to 3GB
  • Home Cellular
  • 012Smile - Roams off parent company, Orange

*None of these carriers work with BlackBerry. If you have a BlackBerry (including the new Q10 or Z10) and you get a SIM from any of these companies, calls/SMS will work, but no data (internet, BlackBerry data such as BBM, push email,) will work. You will need to be connected to WiFi to connect to internet.

If coming to Israel for just a few days, it's probably not worth going through the hassle of signing up with a carrier, and just renting a SIM through one of the following companies: Talk n Save, Israel Phones, TravelCell, or World SIM Travel.

If you're going to be traveling to Israel frequently, then it becomes worth signing up with a carrier. HOT Mobile offers a plan that has no monthly charge, and costs 13 agurot/minute to call Israeli phone numbers, 13 agurot/domestic SMS, cheap direct dialing rates abroad, (15 agurot/minute to USA,) and 13 agurot/MB internet. The cost of the SIM is a one-time fee of NIS 39. Sign up is possible with a foreign credit card and with a passport number in lieu of an Israeli identity number (Teudat Zehut). (Note that this plan isn't listed on the English site.)

If you plan on being in Israel for a month or two, Golan is another option. They have a special now for new subscribers which is their regular plan, free of charge for the first 2 months. The plan includes unlimited domestic calling and unlimited domestic SMS, unlimited 3G data (speeds throttled after 3GB), and international calling. After 2 months, the cost goes up to NIS 99. Sign-up is possible with a foreign credit card and a passport number.

A unique benefit of Golan is the ability to have a virtual phone number, free of charge.

If you'll be in Israel long-term, both HOT Mobile and Golan offer the same unlimited plans at NIS 99, with specials now, such as NIS 49 or NIS 59 for the first few months.

Note regarding prices: All prices include the 18% VAT (Israeli Value Added Tax, or sales tax in Israel)
Prices are listed in (ILS) shekel (NIS = New Israeli Shekel). 100 agurot equal 1 shekel. Google "convert XXX to ILS" to check current exchange rates between shekel and local currency.

How to dial internationally from Israel?
HOT Mobile - dial 00-country code-local phone number OR dial "+" followed by country code and then local number
Golan Telecom - same as HOT Mobile
Orange - 012-country code (via 012 Smile)
Cellcom - 013-country code (via Netvision)
Pelephone - 014-country code (via Bezeq)
Rami Levi - 015-country code (via 015Hallo)

LTE!
Advanced LTE has made it to Israel, though not every carrier currently has it available.
Orange (Partner Communications) and subsidiary 012Smile offer Advanced LTE. To benefit, you must have a phone that supports either LTE band 3 or band 7.
All other networks in Israel use band 7 only!
They are: Pelephone and Cellcom
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - Israel (and non-prepaid)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
Note my Internet didn't work until I updated the APN settings. (Phone and texting did; data did not.)

If you do need to set the APN settings manually, these sites may help:

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesett...ngs.php?id=679
https://www.prepaidisraelisim.com/APN_Settings
http://wiki.apnchanger.org/Israel
Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into that.

Edit: Can't get onto the website right now,it seems to be down, but from the info. I have been able to find, looks like Golan Telecom doesn't support iPhone. Can anyone confirm?
https://www.golantelecom.co.il/web/guides.php

They definitely support iPhones, and do sell nano SIMs. That's the webguides that include all the info on APN settings, though you can obviously use what jackal used

jackal, how did you cancel service when you left?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
https://www.golantelecom.co.il/web/guides.php

They definitely support iPhones, and do sell nano SIMs. That's the webguides that include all the info on APN settings, though you can obviously use what jackal used

jackal, how did you cancel service when you left?
I got the cancellation form (can't recall if it was just on their site or I had to contact them and request it). Printed it out, signed it, snapped a scan of it with my CamScan app, and then emailed it to the address specified on the form. Two days later, I received an acknowledgment that my service would be cut off at the end of that billing cycle (which was four days later). Relatively easy, all things considered, although it would be nice to just be able to disconnect service all from the website.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There's a website (netek.co.il) that allows you to cancel service for virtually all telecommunications companies in Israel in 3 steps (2 minutes max), all online. As far as I'm aware, all cellphone companies, internet (infrastructure, ISP,) home phone, TV - all are available (including Golan).
Unfortunately for tourists, it's only available in Hebrew, Arabic, and Russian. I'll try sending them a message though to get them to change that and add English - maybe even offer to translate for them

jackal, did your name appear on your bill in Hebrew or in English?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
jackal, did your name appear on your bill in Hebrew or in English?
Hebrew, and running it through Google Translate, it was a rather humorous transliteration...
Old May 4, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hey, I'll be in Tel Aviv for 8 days in June. Did I read somewhere in this thread that there's an Orange outlet in TLV airport itself? Do you guys know the opening hours?
Old May 5, 2014, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

According to their website, they do. But I'm not sure if it's one of the terminals or not
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Updated the Wiki with some LTE info
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Thumbs down Beware Golan Telecom fine fine fine print

Just came back from a five week trip to Israel and used Golan Telecom as my provider. Had all sorts of problems getting the SIMS delivered to my address prior to arrival as there was an Israel Postal Strike in effect and NO mention of it on the Golan website. By 14 September, SIMS that were supposedly posted on 24 August had still failed to arrive (and in fact they have never been delivered even 9 weeks later).
On 14 Sept and after a lot of cajoling they agreed to resend my sims by FEDEX at the reasonable price of 50NIS (or about $15). No problem there and FEDEX did its job by delivering the SIMS on 15 September.
The package I signed up to (in English on their English web page) was a special at 59NIS for the first line and 26 for each additional line for the first twelve months of unlimited service with 6 GB of data a month per SIM (a great deal I thought). Package required activation within 30 days of the SIMS being sent from Golan. Activated the first four sims straight away and then waited a week or two to activate the other two as my older kids hadn't arrived in Israel. ALL Sims were activated well and truly within 30 days of 15 September when the ones I received were actually sent from Golan.
Got the first bill and it showed 59 NIS for my line, 26 for each of the other 3 lines activated straight away but 99 for the two that I activated later. AND THEN THE FUN STARTED. Polite emails to their customer service were met with obfuscation and outright lies as they asserted that 30 days meant from when they first sent the SIMS out (on 24 August) not when they FEDEXed the SIMS on 15 September (there is absolutely NO warning like this on their website or in their dense 16 pages of Hebrew terms and conditions). They also assert (contrary to their own terms and conditions) that failure to activate means that I am switched to the 99NIS package even though the one I bought was 59/26. They point blank refuse to refund the difference between the package I signed up for 26NIS a month for twelve months for additional lines and the 99NIS non package that I didn't take.
This is a company with absolutely no clue about customer service, limited English language support despite the fact that the website has English available and a phone number that requires you to dial a mobile number in Israel (at exorbitant rates) if you want to speak to a representative who has no supervisor you can speak to regardless.
I would be VERY WARY of dealing with them particularly where you are trying to arrange things in advance of your arrival. Might be ok if you buy the SIM from a shop rather than order on line but billing issues are completely beyond reasonable resolution. Three thumbs down for customer service.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Great Wiki!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by shmoozy1
This is a company with absolutely no clue about customer service, limited English language support despite the fact that the website has English available and a phone number that requires you to dial a mobile number in Israel (at exorbitant rates) if you want to speak to a representative who has no supervisor you can speak to regardless.
I would be VERY WARY of dealing with them particularly where you are trying to arrange things in advance of your arrival. Might be ok if you buy the SIM from a shop rather than order on line but billing issues are completely beyond reasonable resolution. Three thumbs down for customer service.
Sorry to say but they're far and above the other companies. Their english website is actually semi functional, and they've definitely gotten better with email and phone responses, but you should see the other companies in Israel...golan is by far the easiest.

Now there are stores where you can buy the sims (electronics store BUG for example) which may make it easier.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by stingray072
Sorry to say but they're far and above the other companies. Their english website is actually semi functional, and they've definitely gotten better with email and phone responses, but you should see the other companies in Israel...golan is by far the easiest.

Now there are stores where you can buy the sims (electronics store BUG for example) which may make it easier.
Yes their website kind of works in English as long as you don't want to read 8 pages of Hebrew legalese when you click on the terms and conditions. Their phone customer service is a joke. The English option puts you in the general queue and 9/10 the person who picks up after 20 minutes on hold doesn't speak English. And the icing on the cake this trip was a faulty sim purchased from a retail outlet WOULD NOT be replaced unless I paid the full price of the SIM Another two hours on the phone to get the cost refunded. Yes they're cheap and as long as you never need to contact them you should be ok BUT they are still a crappy company who could care less about customer service
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by shmoozy1
Yes their website kind of works in English as long as you don't want to read 8 pages of Hebrew legalese when you click on the terms and conditions. Their phone customer service is a joke. The English option puts you in the general queue and 9/10 the person who picks up after 20 minutes on hold doesn't speak English. And the icing on the cake this trip was a faulty sim purchased from a retail outlet WOULD NOT be replaced unless I paid the full price of the SIM Another two hours on the phone to get the cost refunded. Yes they're cheap and as long as you never need to contact them you should be ok BUT they are still a crappy company who could care less about customer service
indeed
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stingray072

They may be "far above" other companies in terms of their English website, but certainly not in terms of service.

In terms of reception, they are the absolute worst among the 5 networks. Dropped calls, SMS that don't get sent, slow internet, etc.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Friend's daughter is going to be traveling to Israel for 2 weeks in Aug using an Iphone 5. What's the best pre-paid option for her as the wiki is now almost two years ago.
Cheers
Howie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.