Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I have found the ultimate charger solution!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
Mod note: this thread is closed. The wiki is kept here as a static article.

This thread is about USB chargers, at least four ports, at least 4A.

Currently, the following chargers are in the contest of being the best:
  1. Monoprice 21W 3.5" x 2.1" x 1", 100V-240V, the plug rotates, several of us have this, seems a good choice.
  2. Anker 25W / 5 port this one requires an IEC C7 ("figure 8") AC cord, same as many laptops, 3.8" x 2.4" x 1".
  3. iXCC 30W quite high amperage, "figure 8" cable. Noone has tried it yet. Note that figure 8 cords can be replaced by a plug adapter (L-shaped and straight and even a foldable plug is available), however it's an unknown whether the adapter and the outlet can hold the weight of the adapter + cables. However, the laptop power adapter Chargesource originally sells the foldable plug for is also 5 oz -- the Anker 5 port is 0.5 oz heavier, the IXCC is 0.5 ligher, so roughly the same, so it's reasonable to believe that the Chargesource plug should work. Alternatively, a very short cable is available.
  4. Anker 36W USB Quad-Port Very high amperage and 3.3" x 2.5" x 1" size would make it great but the fixed plugs raises concerns.
  5. USB SuperCharger 42W this is a beast with 8.2A, but it's a giant of 4.7" x 2.4" x 1.4" size and has a fixed cord and can only work from 100-120V.
  6. Portapow 4 port is quite nice with interchangeable molded plugs that clip on for international use. (Amazon USA link)
  7. Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port charger is a new Anker product, slightly smaller than the Anker 25W that also requires an IEC C7 AC cord, has 5 USB ports, and uses smart port technology, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging an Apple or Android device into a particular port. Maximum 2.4A per port. If there's a criticism, it's spotty availability, but that may be easing.
  8. Bolse 7 port, 60 watt, 12 A. The current highest capacity charger with smart ports that automatically provide as much juice as the device wants
  9. sabrent 10 port, 12 amp (60 watt) charger: lots of ports but too bulky for the amperage you get.
  10. new Anker 4 port, 40 watt/8amp looks like it does it all: high power, small size, and foldable plug

Instead of a simple figure 8 cable you can also pick up this cord: it gives you two NEMA 1-15R (ungrounded USA / Japan power outlets) as well.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tired of waiting on the Scosche 4 port charger, I stumbled across this gem:

http://www.antecmobileproducts.com/p...?product_id=63

Four ports, 2 x 2A and 2 x 1A. Comes with a cord, but I use with my own plug. Power two tablets and two phones at the same time. Love it!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:08 pm

Call me stupid - where is the buy option on the site?

Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by dtsm
Call me stupid - where is the buy option on the site?

The site is Antec's product information site. You can get them via Amazon who carries Antec.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What's the feed into it?

Amazon shows a figure-8 connecter which would imply direct AC input, but the Antec site shows it as a "DC input" which means a plug-pack.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Still using and liking my Chargepod
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
What's the feed into it?

Amazon shows a figure-8 connecter which would imply direct AC input, but the Antec site shows it as a "DC input" which means a plug-pack.
I think it's a typo on the Antec diagram. Their photos show the AC jack and the specs show an AC input too.

Although it mentions iOS devices, it doesn't say if it supports high-power charging for other devices. Usually they don't, unfortunately, so Android users will be stuck at 500mA.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
So the http://www.amazon.com/Skiva-PowerFlo.../dp/B008R97TOQ also has two 2A ports but only 4A total output this Antec has 5A but it comes with a cable. I still like the Skiva better.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by ScottC
I would guess you probably have enough chargers to power a small country in the search for the ultimate one.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:36 pm

Good charger?

Hello Chaps,

Happy holidays! I recently acquired an iPhone 4S and an iPAD (3gen, the one before the retina display).

Unfortunately, I do not have any of the chargers, as I got it from a friend.

I am looking for a charging solution that:

1) Comes with the USB wire and can be used as a wall charger, e.g. I do not want to charge it through my laptop

2) I do not need a car charger

3) I would prefer something that works on 110v and 220v

4) Travel adaptors are helpful, but not needed

5) Good quality

6) If the wire is not included, is there a good discount online source for cables etc.

Is there anything which does not have 4 ports, I just need 2!

Thanks so much!

Regards,
Andrew
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
I would guess you probably have enough chargers to power a small country in the search for the ultimate one.
More like a medium sized continent.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by andymillichamp
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

But for this price, better just getting 4 port...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Thanks so much!

Regards,
Andrew
Originally Posted by dtsm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

But for this price, better just getting 4 port...
Plan ahead - It is better to have two spare port than one port less than what you need.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:31 pm

Hi chaps,

Thank you for the help. Is there any brand that is considered 'better' than the others, e.g. Schosche vs. Antec?

Also, do you know of any source for the USB cables, e.g. is monoprice? I want to get several, for other uses as well, and don't mind saving a buck and getting some good quality!

Thank you,
Andrew
Old Dec 15, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Happy holidays! I recently acquired an iPhone 4S and an iPAD (3gen, the one before the retina display).
3) I would prefer something that works on 110v and 220v

4) Travel adaptors are helpful, but not needed

5) Good quality
Andrew, I have the Xtrememac Incharge Home USB charger. Only 2 USB ports, but *each* is 10 watts (for 20 watts total). There is a version that comes with adapters for various countries. These adapters switch out with the base unit to let you use the charger in different countries. These are *not* universal converters that convert U.S. plugs to another. Comes with one USB cable. Here's a video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX_Ez_t_ysM

Originally Posted by ScottC
More like a medium sized continent.
Don't sell yourself short, Scott.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chx1975
So the http://www.amazon.com/Skiva-PowerFlo.../dp/B008R97TOQ also has two 2A ports but only 4A total output this Antec has 5A but it comes with a cable. I still like the Skiva better.
Ordered! If it is anything like the reviewers say, my thread is now moot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.