Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can the TSA be sued by class action?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Can the TSA be sued by class action?

I got to thinking about all the FOIA requests that I and others on this board have been waiting for long past the "required" time frame. I know an individual can sue for their particular FOIA request but can the TSA be sued in a class action?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I got to thinking about all the FOIA requests that I and others on this board have been waiting for long past the "required" time frame. I know an individual can sue for their particular FOIA request but can the TSA be sued in a class action?
I've wondered the same thing, not in connection with an FOIA request, but rather with the strip search or pat down, when others passengers using the same airport but a different terminal/concourse without the MMW are not subjected to either humiliating procedure.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
My completely ignorant understanding of the principle of Sovereignty is that governments cannot be sued except in cases where they allow themselves to be sued. One of these cases is that they allow you to sue for FoIA requests. In general, however, I would guess that the TSA cannot be sued in a class-action without a specific law saying this is allowed.

Someone with legal training and more than half a brain should chime in and tell us the real story, though. My statement is based on my sixth grade civics class.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by cparekh
My completely ignorant understanding of the principle of Sovereignty is that governments cannot be sued except in cases where they allow themselves to be sued. One of these cases is that they allow you to sue for FoIA requests. In general, however, I would guess that the TSA cannot be sued in a class-action without a specific law saying this is allowed.

Someone with legal training and more than half a brain should chime in and tell us the real story, though. My statement is based on my sixth grade civics class.
Assuming that's true, it seems odd that the TSA did not exempt itself from the FoIA portion, given the copious amounts of SSI (snort) that the agency produces.

Oh, it's a Monday, so I'm still at about 75% brain. By Friday, I'll be below half a brain.

Mike
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:54 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no reason you couldn't if you can come up with a certified class . . . IMO . . . I'm not a lawyer.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Assuming that's true, it seems odd that the TSA did not exempt itself from the FoIA portion ...
I don't think they would have that right. The provision to sue would be the ability to sue to Federal government, specific agencies would not be able to exempt themselves (I think).
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by cparekh
I don't think they would have that right. The provision to sue would be the ability to sue to Federal government, specific agencies would not be able to exempt themselves (I think).
Normally, I would agree, but they seem to have exempted themselves from so many other laws that I think this one should be a cinch.

Mike
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Normally, I would agree, but they seem to have exempted themselves from so many other laws that I think this one should be a cinch.
Of course, it would be SSI.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

I was hoping to get a reply from one of the several lawyers on here.

Do any of you know or could point me in the direction to find out?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:18 am

I was hoping to get a reply from one of the several lawyers on here.

Do any of you know or could point me in the direction to find out?
I don't recall any case in which a class action was against the Government. However, you can include as many plaintiffs as wish to join your action if appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.