Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying on Mace?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Carrying on Mace?

Does anyone know the policy on carrying onto the plane one of those little binaca-sized mace sprayers. I carried one on with me several years ago and it never got a second look but I'm wondering if things have changed with something like that. (I took it with me when I visited Bucharest because I heard about the packs of wild dogs roaming the streets and wanted to be somewhat prepared.)(Never did have to use it though.)
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brasov02
Does anyone know the policy on carrying onto the plane one of those little binaca-sized mace sprayers. I carried one on with me several years ago and it never got a second look but I'm wondering if things have changed with something like that. (I took it with me when I visited Bucharest because I heard about the packs of wild dogs roaming the streets and wanted to be somewhat prepared.)(Never did have to use it though.)
I think they have always been considered a weapon - you have apparently been very lucky.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:20 am

it wont go well if someone figures out that its mace...
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Mace, and anything like it, has not been allowed for as long as I can remember.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:10 pm

Mace or pepper spray has never been allowed. I was asked to give up my key chain pepper spray a few years pre-9/11. I just forgot it was attached to my key chain. The strange thing was the airport had a counter where the workers actually held it for me and I picked it up when I returned. For the life of me, I can't remember which airport.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:18 pm

Isn't mace illegal in many other countries also? I would never bring mace or pepper spray on a plane or with me to another country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

Mace is only permitted in checked baggage with a safety mechanism
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the TS/S Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:13 pm

Carry on, no. Checked luggage, yes LINK
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by magellan315
Carry on, no. Checked luggage, yes LINK
Come to think of it, I think I did have it my checked luggage. This time I won't be checking any luggage. Maybe I'll be able to find some in Bucharest for when I go traipsing around the dog and bear-laden Transylvanian countryside.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
3 ounce container. Labeled "Breath Freshener", "Adenoidal Spray", "Aggravated Deodorant". In your ZipLoc baggie. I'll bet it dances through unnoticed. Who has actually ever seen the TSA check the contents of a baggie?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Mace, and anything like it, has not been allowed for as long as I can remember.
Same here.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:27 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I carried "tripple action" Mace on an ORD-YOW flight.

The TSA didn't seem to notice. I found it in my jacket, to my surprise, once sitting in my seat on the plane. I didn't remember it was there. Had to toss it once I landed in YOW . . . before Customs.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:56 am

One of my cooworkers has carried on a small can on her keychain for the last two and a half years. We fly three out of every four weeks, TSA has never once noticed it.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Those mad dogs are called Romanians if you dont mind
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Menace to Sobriety
One of my cooworkers has carried on a small can on her keychain for the last two and a half years. We fly three out of every four weeks, TSA has never once noticed it.
TSA's visual inspections are diluted by non-dangerous things like the war on liquids. A small can of mace gets missed while TSA deals with all of the false alarms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.