Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

SeaPort Airlines: "Outside of TSA jurisdiction"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:26 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

Woo hoo!

Portland-to-Seattle airline starts service
BY MARIAH SUMMERS
The West Linn Tidings, Jun 19, 2008

Travelers will soon have a new way to fly from Portland to the Seattle area.

Beginning June 30, SeaPort Airlines will offer 40-minute flights from Portland International Airport to Boeing Field, which is about six miles from downtown Seattle.

With a month-long introductory fare of $75 one way or $149 roundtrip to Boeing Field, SeaPort is about the same cost of Horizon Air, which offers similar flight service from PDX to SeaTac.

[...]

Also, the type of aircraft that SeaPort operates falls outside of the Transportation Security Administration’s jurisdiction, so the airline has no TSA checkpoints.

“We cut travel time in half,” said Craford. “There’s no waiting in lines, no taking off your shoes, no throwing your water bottle away and walking a half mile from your car to the terminal.”
Happy to forgo 129 UA EQM for this. ^^^

Last edited by essxjay; Jun 20, 2008 at 9:32 pm
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I can easily see a boom in Private Airports and Private scheduled flights, possibly where one has to buy a 'membership' to fly the airline in order to get the prices, maybe buying part 'ownership' for a couple dollars a month making t a coop.

There are already private airports, I could see many more if the conditions continue! Possibly to the point where flying 'private' is only 10%-20% more than other ways but no TSA hassle, no lines, no ATC delays, just Customs in some cases.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Steph3n
I can easily see a boom in Private Airports and Private scheduled flights, possibly where one has to buy a 'membership' to fly the airline in order to get the prices, maybe buying part 'ownership' for a couple dollars a month making t a coop.

There are already private airports, I could see many more if the conditions continue! Possibly to the point where flying 'private' is only 10%-20% more than other ways but no TSA hassle, no lines, no ATC delays, just Customs in some cases.
I can see no TSA hassles, but what makes you think no ATC delays?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This has nothing to do with it being a charter or private flight. This is just regularly scheduled service on aircraft small enough that they are not required to include TSA screening. There are already commercial flights in Alaska and N. Dakota (I think, though possibly Montana) where the flights are not TSA screened. On arrival connecting passengers are transferred land-side to clear security if they need to connect onward.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinbob
I can see no TSA hassles, but what makes you think no ATC delays?
If you are flying to a private airport also
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:49 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Neither PDX nor BFI are private airports.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essxjay
Neither PDX nor BFI are private airports.
Correct and I know that, but I am saying future travel with private airports, I said in the FUTURE(easily see a). This is a good example of something now.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan
This isn't about private/commercial, it's about the size and type of aircraft. Both the US and Canada have commercial airports without screening, just not usually to places most people have any desire or need to travel to.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:19 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
They should hire David Spade to reprise his Joe Dirt role and do some commercials for them playing a TSA screener
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by embarassedCATSAscreener
This isn't about private/commercial, it's about the size and type of aircraft. Both the US and Canada have commercial airports without screening, just not usually to places most people have any desire or need to travel to.
The aircraft type may come into it, but it's more about the facilities at the origin and departure airports.

If the destination has no possibility of an airside connection to another (screened) flight or does not deposit the passengers into a secure area then outbound screening is not required. I have seen this applied to Dash 8s, Convairs and HS748s, none of which are "small" planes.

I have noticed a couple of apparent loopholes which I'm obviously not going to detail, and for all I know there are unseen safeguards in those instances.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:39 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I fly seaplanes on Seaborne Airlines regularly without any TSA screening, as well as chartered service from SIG-anywhere in the caribbean without TSA screening.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:48 pm

This is great news for those of us who hate the TSA. Contrary to the TSA's own egomania, skipping TSA screening is now a selling a point. Wow! Take that, Kip. The TSA always acts like, "well we're just doing what you (the public) wants."
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Deleted

Last edited by Landing Gear; Jun 21, 2008 at 1:28 pm Reason: Wrong thread. Sorry!!!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:27 pm

Wrong Thread?

Landing Gear, did you end up on the wrong runway?

I'd love it if I could fly from a non-TSA field or via corporate or private aircraft. I agree that "Avoid the Hastle of the TSA" will be a marketing tag line that grows in popularity.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Red face

Originally Posted by NoClu
Landing Gear, did you end up on the wrong runway?

I'd love it if I could fly from a non-TSA field or via corporate or private aircraft. I agree that "Avoid the Hastle of the TSA" will be a marketing tag line that grows in popularity.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I had too many tabs open in my browser. How embarrassing!

Here's the thread where my comments should have gone originally. Make perfect sense there.

Reporter taken off plane for using cold medicine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.