Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Reporter taken off plane for using cold medicine!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist

Ugh...this is getting ridiculous.
http://www.ajc.com/travel/content/tr..._jet_blue.html
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Just think if it was something like an Alka Seltzer. Oh, the world is coming to an end!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by joelfreak
No, it's been ridiculous for a while now, all in the name of a song and dance to calm irrational and collective national paranoia....
Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by voop
No, it's been ridiculous for a while now, all in the name of a song and dance to calm irrational and collective national paranoia....
Paranoia is exactly the right word. Unfortunately, in my view, this is how we ended up letting terrorists win - by turning a rather large number of people rather paranoid and irrational. I see this as a terribly sad state of affair.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: Retired-CO Former Long-time Plat, Now a Kettle, Hilton Gold (Thanks AMEX)
I think the idiot "blonde woman" that start started this whole mess should be banned from flying. What a country of sheep we've become. OBL is laughing in his cave.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Hey this guy has a small beard and dark hair. He puts something into a water bottle. My god he must be a terrorist. No doubt.

Unbelievable story.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 6:35 am

I read the entire article.

This is just plain wrong. Are we reverting back to the paranoia of the 1950's? Thank G-d I wasn't alive back then.
But Airborne? I also imagine Fizzies and mixes you add to water are also verboten now. This is just plain silly.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoGiants
I think the idiot "blonde woman" that start started this whole mess should be banned from flying. What a country of sheep we've become. OBL is laughing in his cave.
No someone needs to sue the living f--- out of her.

They didn't ever pass that immunity for paranoids bill, did they?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by joelfreak
The article reminded me of an incident I was involved in a few years ago. My doctor prescribed an inhalator for a breathing problem (pre 3.4-1-1). The medication was in a small under 3 ounce metal container. Due to its size there was no room to attach the RX label, but the manufacturer and type of medication was clearly marked.

As the X-ray machine identified the suspicious object, an agent pulled the inhalator from my bag and advised that I could not travel with the medicine. After the usual back and forth, I was then left with the decision, do I surrendor the medicine and hope I do not have a respitory attack while on board and/or at my desitination, or do I not take the flight?

There is the added potential complication that if I surrendering control of a prescribed control substance would I be violating FDA laws and regulations.

Fortunately, I opted not to take the flight. This wisdom was borne out by a report this passed year of some flights carrying defective or empty oxygen bottles.

I realize that this is very unAmerican, but sometimes I feel I have to put my own security before those of others. My appologies to my fellow fliers.

Stay the curse.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by GoGiants
I think the idiot "blonde woman" that start started this whole mess should be banned from flying.
No, just charged with filing a false police report. A few well-publicised examples of sheep being punished for bleating might put a stop to this cr@p, but I guess the cops have been brainwashed too that anything involving the BIG S WORD is exempt from the laws of the land.

My mind is all out of boggle.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
No, just charged with filing a false police report.
Good idea. We've got to move away from this "'Guilty' until proven 'Looked kinda suspicious so don't do it again'" mentality.

How about "interfering with flight crew," plus whatever statutes relate to all the financial damage caused by delaying the flight?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:16 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Just think if it was something like an Alka Seltzer. Oh, the world is coming to an end!
"plop plop fizz fizz...."

to the pax who "saw something suspicious" what a bunch of f*ng paranoid sheep you are

now from the article:
Off the plane, the sympathies of fellow passengers raised my spirits. Some questioned what terrorists would have done with police so obviously closing in
the answer is simple...if it was a real twr'wrist and not one with an upset stomach or taking a sleeping pill, they would have blown the plane before it arrived back at the gate-what a dumb-a$$ comment by a sheep

(sorry folks, i'm cranky as i got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning)
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Disgraceful!

I commend the reporter for writing in such a restrained and objective manner after undergoing this experience.

If I were he, I'd also be wondering if I'd been singled out because of my "suspicious" appearance.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Fredd
I commend the reporter for writing in such a restrained and objective manner after undergoing this experience.
I don't. He should have slammed the authorities for 1) treating him like a criminal, and 2) letting the woman off scott-free.

It's only when we stand up for our rights and freedoms that it will start to make a difference.... and the value of a free press is to stand up to the abuses of government.

He is just another sheeple as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And how many people have this kind of disturbing experience but don't get to tell their stories?
And if everyone did, it'd be the TSA's worst nightmare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.