Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Take Your Kid to Work Day at the TSA checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Your Kid to Work Day at the TSA checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
My question is, how come those kids are allowed to see the x-ray images and I'm not???

Seriously, though, not too surprising. I actually saw this book at the library a while back in the kids' section. Gov't PR machine in full swing.

Air Marshal and Careers in Transportation Security

Description: After the tragic events of 9/11, the security of our nations transportation systems became more necessary than ever. From screeners and inspectors to the air marshals keeping watch in the sky, thousands of men and women face unique challenges every day. Author Janet Souter goes inside the Transportation Security Administration and the Federal Air Marshal Service to explain their responsibilities, what careers they offer, and how they keep passengers safe from harm.

I hope this is required reading as well (or maybe not, judging by the poor quality of the cover artwork):

A Look at the Fourth Amendment
Against Unreasonable Searches and Seizures

Description: What constitutes probable cause? Does the Patriot Act violate the Fourth Amendment? These are just a couple of the many questions author Doreen Gonzales explores as she explains how the Fourth Amendment came to exist, why it is important, ways in which it has been challenged in the U.S. federal courts, and how it relates to today's issues of national security and ever-developing technology.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
If kids can just do the duties of these idiots, why can't I just show up at the airport to check IDs, grope grannies, pull the bean and franks, and any other super secret duties?
Easy- next time you're in IAD order a pizza, then call the number advertised on the box to work as a screener.
Old May 3, 2011, 3:18 pm

The hard-cover book documents the many jobs available in the TSA from airport luggage screeners to air marshals using employee interviews, stories and data suopplied by the Office of Homeland Security Enslow Publishing

I spelz gud.
Old May 3, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by gof
I don't see the job itself as being highly dangerous so having the kids there isn't a big deal (IMHO).
Bite your tongue ! The checkpoint workers are Front Line Warriors; some have said so right here.
Old May 3, 2011, 3:39 pm

Words fail me. Almost.

If this is real, and I'm having great difficulty believing that it is, then I would have been demanding to speak to the supervisor and demanding that the kids be removed from the sterile area. Reason? Too many to list, but for starters? Violation of privacy.

There is no way I would hand a child any Id, not even my BP, not even in a bizarro game of pretend. What's next? Bring your kid to work when executing a prisoner?

Having non-TSA involved in ANY aspect of TSA activities must violate SOP at so many levels that my mind boggles that there is ANYONE in TSA who would think this was a 'good' idea.

If this is true, i can't bring myself to believe it is, then I think that the TSA is singlehandedly lowering the worldwide IQ by at least 5 pts all on their own.
Old May 3, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mientree
TSA privacy page: http://www.tsa.gov/research/privacy/index.shtm where it states in part: "We will disclose your information only with your consent, by statute or pursuant to a routine use established in a published system of records notice."
And so how is TSOs being forced to speak one's name or DOB out loud at SFO not a violation of this policy? Or is it not a violation because "the website is always out of date"?
Old May 3, 2011, 4:20 pm

I'll bet before the shift started all of the tsa personnel were taking turns feeling up each others kids for practice.
Old May 3, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Words fail me. Almost.

If this is real, and I'm having great difficulty believing that it is, then I would have been demanding to speak to the supervisor and demanding that the kids be removed from the sterile area. Reason? Too many to list, but for starters? Violation of privacy.

There is no way I would hand a child any Id, not even my BP, not even in a bizarro game of pretend. What's next? Bring your kid to work when executing a prisoner?

Having non-TSA involved in ANY aspect of TSA activities must violate SOP at so many levels that my mind boggles that there is ANYONE in TSA who would think this was a 'good' idea.

If this is true, i can't bring myself to believe it is, then I think that the TSA is singlehandedly lowering the worldwide IQ by at least 5 pts all on their own.
There is photographic evidence. Why do you not believe that it happened?
Old May 3, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
FWIW, this was probably a local decision by the FSD to allow this, and a bad one at that. This, from what I can tell, certainly wasn't a nationally sanctioned thing. The question about this came up, albeit jokingly about participating in this, at my airport. The answer was not just no, but absolutely not.
Old May 3, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by oboshoe
Very Creepy seeing these kids wearing the blue gloves.

I actually feel a bit sorry for them.

Kids deserve parents, not TSA gropers.
So are you suggesting that a TSO is not a good parent?
Old May 3, 2011, 5:09 pm

It's that I literally find it easier to disbelieve the evidence, than believe that anyone could be so incredibly stupid as to allow kids to be part of the security process screening citizens. AND that anyone would allow a child to participate in the violation of their civil rights.

I am honestly dumbfounded by this. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot keeps cycling through my head as I think of this.
Old May 3, 2011, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
See something, do something for free

If kids can just do the duties of these idiots, why can't I just show up at the airport to check IDs, grope grannies, pull the bean and franks, and any other super secret duties?
bolding mine

OMG did you just invent the wrong thing. Many outfits save money by asking for volunteers. Then there are the volunteer units like the Civil Air Patrol. And of course real police and sheriff units have civilian auxiliaries, with trained but unpaid volunteers

Since TSA wants to become the Homeland Police Force, why not a TSO Volunteer Auxiliary Screeners Service? We know the training to become a TSO is minimal, so cost will be very minimal. These kids with blue gloves prove how simple the job is.

Auxiliary Screeners can be any patriotic American who wants to help in the War on Terror. Think of the thousands who will work for free: priests, dudes who enjoy rummaging through other peoples underwear, shoe freaks of all types, pickpockets, the list is endless.
Old May 3, 2011, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TSO1973
FWIW, this was probably a local decision by the FSD to allow this, and a bad one at that. This, from what I can tell, certainly wasn't a nationally sanctioned thing. The question about this came up, albeit jokingly about participating in this, at my airport. The answer was not just no, but absolutely not.
A very bad decision. I do hope the OP sends in a complaint, and this is investigated. This is what happened after the guy brought his son to work in the ATC tower.

The FAA, which hasn't released the names of the controllers involved, is not treating this as a joke. It is investigating the controller, as well as a supervising controller. Both have been relieved of their duties, the FAA said.

"This behavior is not acceptable and does not demonstrate the kind of professionalism expected from FAA employees," the agency said in a statement.

The air traffic controllers' union echoed the FAA, saying in a statement: "We do not condone this type of behavior in any way" and said it does not represent "the highest professional standards controllers set for themselves."
Depending on their actions at the checkpoint, I do have to wonder what they are like at home. So many of the clerks retaliate against pax that are just trying to keep an eye on their belongings, ask for clean gloves, threaten to have them arrested, etc. What makes you think they don't act that way at home?

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
bolding mine

OMG did you just invent the wrong thing. Many outfits save money by asking for volunteers. Then there are the volunteer units like the Civil Air Patrol. And of course real police and sheriff units have civilian auxiliaries, with trained but unpaid volunteers

Since TSA wants to become the Homeland Police Force, why not a TSO Volunteer Auxiliary Screeners Service? We know the training to become a TSO is minimal, so cost will be very minimal. These kids with blue gloves prove how simple the job is.

Auxiliary Screeners can be any patriotic American who wants to help in the War on Terror. Think of the thousands who will work for free: priests, dudes who enjoy rummaging through other people’s underwear, shoe freaks of all types, pickpockets, the list is endless.
Oy! I better wash out my mouth before eyecue or his non-FARE friends report it to Aunt Nappy for consideration!
Old May 3, 2011, 5:55 pm

We see what TSO's do to strangers children for a few bucks an hour.

Some have been arrested for what they do to children in their off hours.

Considering how TSO's behave in public, its natural to believe that they behave even more so in private.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Don't forget to buy your gear and ID badges!

Identify yourself NOW with this Counter Terrorism Homefront Security Gear!!!

Now, you are the last line of defense against those who would seek to destroy our way of life. Every freedom fighter is called upon to volunteer their eyes and ears to defeat these enemies. Counter Terrorism Homefront Security is a non-governmental volunteer civilian force that lawfully seeks to identify and report potential acts of terrorism. It conveys no authority given or implied. If you can see them, they can see you.

You are the “U” in USA, identify yourself!

This is what happened after the guy brought his son to work in the ATC tower.
I was in the court that thought that incident, while in poor judgment in this era of live internet ATC feeds, was not that big of a deal. When I was little kid, a controller let me change the intensity of the runway lights on a tower visit one time. Never got to talk on the radio from the tower, but I did when in a GA aircraft plenty of times.

I guess my whole point here in starting this thread is that in spite of all the chest-thumping by the TSA, the checkpoint is not the Front Line of the War On Terror™ they like to pretend it is.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by oboshoe
We see what TSO's do to strangers children for a few bucks an hour.

Some have been arrested for what they do to children in their off hours.

Considering how TSO's behave in public, its natural to believe that they behave even more so in private.
Doesn't matter. Lets TSA is doing their jobs and you can't be bugging with the children at airport. They are allowed it to brings the children to works days. I remember last time that I saw the children who came to works at airport for every year. They are responsible to supervised with an adult. They are always be respected with the passengers & the crews, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.