Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Why does TSA require palms be held up during search?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:30 am
Original Poster

TSA seems to have a requirement that when undergoing the intrusive physical search, the arms be extended straight out and the arms be rotated so that the palms are up. See accounts here, here, and here (in comments), and here.

Extending the arms full out and rotating the palms up becomes tiring and painful. It must be particularly so for older persons. It would be much easier to hold the palms down with the arms extended.

What is the point of requiring this particular posture?

Last edited by Cartoon Peril; Feb 15, 2011 at 4:48 am Reason: not complete before posting
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'm sure there's an abundance of caution involved

Seriously? I don't know. I imagine it's to make it immediately obvious if someone has palmed some contraband.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril
TSA seems to have a requirement that when undergoing the intrusive physical search, the arms be extended straight out and the arms be rotated so that the palms are up. See accounts here, here, and here (in comments), and here.

Extending the arms full out and rotating the palms up becomes tiring and painful. It must be particularly so for older persons. It would be much easier to hold the palms down with the arms extended.

What is the point of requiring this particular posture?
It's a gesture of complete submission to the TSA and a sign that you unquestioningly accept the authority of their overlord, Osama bin Laden.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:24 am

They do it because they can. It is a show of force, and a test of public submission acceptance.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:28 am

they do it coz the sky is falling
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. I've never been ask to do this. It may be because I tell them I am hearing impaired and that I will not be able to hear their instructions. I tell them if they want me to raise my arms, just lift them slightly, I will feel it and raise them straight out. When they want them down, I tell tell to to put a little pressure on the top and I will lower them. It eliminates vocal communication and it gets the job done. The turning over part may get too complicated for them.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:04 am
Suspended

I have posited in the past that it's to make it more difficult for the victim to bring his/her arm down and slug the person assaulting him/her.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by doober
I have posited in the past that it's to make it more difficult for the victim to bring his/her arm down and slug the person assaulting him/her.
Maybe they believe that. It may be true if their molestee has no martial arts training, but if the person they're mauling does have self defense skills it makes no difference whatsoever.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Also so you know they are empty, not something hiding between the fingers even when the fingers are outstretched.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:18 am

^ That would be my guess!!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
He is already on his knees to check my butt, just look up at my hands while while down there.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Deleted - triplicate.

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Feb 15, 2011 at 6:41 am
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It's strange...I must have some sort of hockey injury from years ago. When I'm in this position, the only finger I can extend is my middle finger. This condition greatly improves the farther away from an airport I happen to be.
^^^ (LMFAO!) You should explain to your molester that this is a chronic condition that affects a lot of FF'ers (except sheeple).
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted - triplicate.

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Feb 15, 2011 at 6:42 am
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:38 am

So that it is easier to give you a high-five.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.