Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Reuters poll Fri. Nov 12: Are new security screenings affecting your decision to fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reuters poll Fri. Nov 12: Are new security screenings affecting your decision to fly?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR

As of just now...

http://blogs.reuters.com/ask/2010/11...cision-to-fly/

Are new security screenings affecting your decision to fly?

Stepped-up security screening at airports in the wake of foiled terrorism plots has provoked an outcry from airline pilots and travelers, including parents of children who say they are too intrusive.

With the busiest holiday travel season nearing, fliers face long security lines and new rigorous patdown checks aimed at discovering hidden explosives. As a result, some travelers are questioning whether to fly at all.

Are you less likely to fly because of stepped-up security procedures such as full-body scans and patdowns?

Yes - I will make alternate travel plans to avoid intrusive security scans and patdowns (93%, 468 Votes)

No - It is a necessary procedure to ensure terror plots are thwarted (5%, 27 Votes)

Undecided (2%, 8 Votes)
Let's get those votes in, folks! Proud to have been #468
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I was #924. Only 4% believe the new deal is a "necessary procedure to ensure terror plots are thwarted." Only 1% "undecided."

Even given the arguable validity of this self-selected respondent base, that's pretty striking.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Now at 1,368 YES.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Into the 1400's.

40 people think it's necessary.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
now at 4990 YES, 116 no...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Now, its says Yes to 97%, 9,229 Votes. It will gets 100% to avoided the body scanners & patdown at checkpoint.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
One of the commenters left a link that is pretty good. Gave skelator a good smack in the chops. That picture of him is just plain scary.

http://www.onlinecollegemoms.com/201...-servant-my-a/
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you less likely to fly because of stepped-up security procedures such as full-body scans and patdowns?

Yes - I will make alternate travel plans to avoid intrusive security scans and patdowns (97%, 10,967 Votes)

No - It is a necessary procedure to ensure terror plots are thwarted (2%, 253 Votes)

Undecided (1%, 142 Votes)

Total Voters: 11,362

edit to add: The results of this poll should be forwarded to every airline executive. If this attitude carries over in practice some airlines will fail.

TSA is putting the entire airline industry in jeopardy.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA is putting the entire airline industry in jeopardy.
And it is readily evident that, throughout the entire organization (from the DHS Secretary to the lowest TSO), they don't care. After all, we are all just rabid TSA haters...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: NWA Tears
A poll such as this is almost completely meaningless to the airlines. The poll may show that 97% say they won't fly, but the ticket purchases and revenue continue as before...

The only thing that will get airline execs attention is empty seats.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:35 am

Good point. The one poll that airlines will take action on is at the ticket window. Trouble is, an unbought ticket doesn't have a reason going with it. It would be good that every person who decided not to fly would email the airline they would have used to say why they've declined travel.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:47 am

Programs: QFF
Just voted
Yes (97%, 15,242 Votes)
No (2%, 344 Votes)
Undecided (1%, 181 Votes)
Old Nov 13, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*

Yes: 97%, 15,590 Votes
No: 2%, 349 Votes
Undecided: 1%, 185 Votes
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Just voted. We have cancelled two trips to the US, four Business class tickets, and rebooked to go to Europe because my spouse declines to go though the TSA experience if she can avoid it. I cannot argue. I suspect airlines other than the vocal BA are experiencing changes in travel patterns but I wonder if they have the willingness to take a stand now.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:45 am

If they rolled back all this security theater, got rid of the luggage charges, and made at least some effort to make flying PLEASURABLE, RESPECTING the passengers and sincerely making some effort to please them and to not dismiss their feelings and opinions about the flying experience as irrelevant, THEN, NOT ONLY THE COMMERCIAL AVIATION BUSINESS, BUT THE TOURISM BUSINESS IN AMERICA WOULD PROBABLY INCREASE FIVE FOLD ALMOST OVERNIGHT.

They would have to rush massive orders for airliner production at all the aircraft manufacturers, putting more people to work and boosting the economy in a domino effect. These "anti-terrorism" measures HAVE SUPPRESSED WORLDWIDE TRAVEL TO ONE FIFTH OF WHAT IT WOULD BE WITHOUT THEM. That is having a knock-on effect of killing business and commerce exponentially.

The BEST thing we could do to counter "terrorism" is to STOP MAGNIFYING it's real threat and STOP GIVING "COUNTER TERRORISM" efforts the power to intimately disrupt the lives, violate the freedom, privacy, property and rights of TENS OF MILLIONS of innocent travelers worldwide in order to "try" to prevent a comparatively MINUSCULE number of crazy people from theoretically having the ability to hurt somebody somewhere, some way.

THAT is rule by PARANOID people, an oppressive DAILY fate for everyone, much WORSE than the limited human suffering from an occasional terrorist attack.

Last edited by AINITFUNNY; Nov 13, 2010 at 6:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.