Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Will the TSO eat my key lime pie for lunch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM

Flying back north from RSW later this week. Was thinking of bringing home a frozen Key Lime pie (my family is quite fond of the ones from Publix). I know there's some chance it will get confiscated / eaten by the TSA employees at the airport. It's cheap enough that its probably worth it I have a halfway decent chance of getting through.

So.... I'm looking for anecdotes / wisdom about the odds of getting through security with a (frozen) key lime pie. Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: Delta, United
In September I was afraid those in BOS were going to take my cannoli from Mike's but
they made it through untouched.

If frozen you are fine - remember the discussion about ice vs water. If the TSA demands you abandon it I would suggest that you put in garbage - Bad TSO no Key Line Pie.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:51 pm

I can't predict how a Key Lime pie will fare, but last time through the checkpoint at RSW the TSO and I had a good laugh about the six pounds of frozen scrapple I had in a mini-cooler. No problem getting it through.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:01 pm

im sure the ts clerks would just love to confiscate a chocolate exlax silk pie
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Flying back north from RSW later this week. Was thinking of bringing home a frozen Key Lime pie (my family is quite fond of the ones from Publix). I know there's some chance it will get confiscated / eaten by the TSA employees at the airport. It's cheap enough that its probably worth it I have a halfway decent chance of getting through.

So.... I'm looking for anecdotes / wisdom about the odds of getting through security with a (frozen) key lime pie. Thanks!
You should have no problems with it. BTW we are not allowed to consume anything that is surrendered at the checkpoint. There are two reasons. One is that would be tantamount to stealing. The other is we cannot be sure what is in it.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eyecue
You should have no problems with it. BTW we are not allowed to consume anything that is surrendered at the checkpoint. There are two reasons. One is that would be tantamount to stealing. The other is we cannot be sure what is in it.
Now that, is funny. Thanks eyecue. It is only stealing if you make use of it. Not if you just take it.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:05 pm

so its only cash , jewelry, electronics and meds that get stolen?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Fortunately, that incident in Cleveland Thanksgiving 2006* was just an isolated event. But events like that do make people worry that they won't be able to transport tasty items.

* Where pies confiscated from passengers were sent to the USO lounge for soldiers to eat while connecting between flights.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If it's frozen it should be no problem.

If it's not frozen, they will take it and if you swing by one of the food places later you will probably see a circle of people having a key lime pie.

Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Now that, is funny. Thanks eyecue. It is only stealing if you make use of it. Not if you just take it.
If you look at the laws regarding stealing there is an element to it that says" With intent to permanently deprive the lawful owner." I have said before that TSA does not steal anything in regards to items like the pie that we are talking about. You as the passenger have choices.
1. Take it back to your car
2. Give it to someone that is not traveling with you.
3. Send it somewhere by mail ETC.
4. Surrender it at the checkpoint. IE voluntarily abandon it. In which case TSA disposes of it.

Granted all of these cannot apply in all the cases. In most cases the passenger has severly limited their own options because of time or the item that they have is not able to be handled in the prescribed methods because of the consistency of it ( as in the pie.)
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:47 pm

And WE ALL know that the TSA would NOT do anything that they are not supposed to do. NOW thats FUNNY
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:49 pm

If you look at the laws regarding stealing there is an element to it that says" With intent to permanently deprive the lawful owner." I have said before that TSA does not steal anything in regards to items like the pie that we are talking about. You as the passenger have choices.
1. Take it back to your car
2. Give it to someone that is not traveling with you.
3. Send it somewhere by mail ETC.
4. Surrender it at the checkpoint. IE voluntarily abandon it. In which case TSA disposes of it.

Granted all of these cannot apply in all the cases. In most cases the passenger has severly limited their own options because of time or the item that they have is not able to be handled in the prescribed methods because of the consistency of it ( as in the pie.)
And we all know the TSO's are trained in the correct classification of pie consistencies.
At any rate it doesn't matter. We must be vigilant to prevent another incident like the Soupy Sales pie bombing of '56.

Last edited by khurley; Nov 6, 2010 at 10:51 pm Reason: messed up my sarcasm
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by scraidin
And when that doesn't happen what do you do...eat it yourself?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by scraidin
They would have to be complete morons if they ate anything confiscated from passengers.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:31 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by oldjonesy
They would have to be complete morons if they ate anything confiscated from passengers.
It would make an interesting experiment, wouldn't it??

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.