Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

WBI at NYC area airports and liquids scanner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Heard two reports this a.m.:

1. WBI was supposed to be in place at all NYC area airports in September/early October. None have been installed. Alleged reason: installation is a very complicated procedure.

2. A liquids scanner is apparently being tested at ABQ. Takes 15 seconds per container. Now ain't that a great time saver? Again

Posted before I saw this thread about the scanner:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-out-door.html

Last edited by doober; Oct 14, 2010 at 5:59 am Reason: just because
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:55 am

Can't wait to opt-out. With the skells working at LGA I plan on reading reports of privacy violations within the 1st 2 months.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ues_to_wa.html

Last edited by deldel; Oct 14, 2010 at 6:03 am
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
just wanted to keep this bit...

Ann Davis, a TSA spokeswoman, insisted passengers are no less safe at airports without the full-body scanners, which she said are not necessarily more effective screening measures than metal detectors, pat-downs and behavioral profiling. Rather, she stressed, scanners are simply meant to be faster and less physically intrusive.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
just wanted to keep this bit...

Ann Davis, a TSA spokeswoman, insisted passengers are no less safe at airports without the full-body scanners, which she said are not necessarily more effective screening measures than metal detectors, pat-downs and behavioral profiling. Rather, she stressed, scanners are simply meant to be faster and less physically intrusive.
If passengers are in fact "no less safe" why are we wasting all this money on these machines? They certainly are not faster, Ann, and you should know that. As well, they are actually far more intrusive.

Good job on making yourself look foolish, Ann.

Last edited by doober; Oct 14, 2010 at 7:34 am
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: OnePass
I've all ready commented in that article. JFK, LGA, and EWR might get large numbers of opt outs.

Tho, TBH, I thought Terminal C at EWR had one installed. I seem to remember seeing it checking in for a flight back to RDU while trying to ignore the barker.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by doober
well, they are actually far more intrusive.
I believe the phrase you misquoted was less physically intrusive. Hard to argue with that one I guess, so you just delete the key word ^

If you feel emotionally intruded upon by using one of these devices, that's a whole other story

Good job on making yourself look foolish, Ann.
Pot, kettle...
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:25 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by star_world
Pot, kettle...
Black.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
Black.
Aww well done - gold star for you :-:
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I believe the phrase you misquoted was less physically intrusive. Hard to argue with that one I guess, so you just delete the key word ^

If you feel emotionally intruded upon by using one of these devices, that's a whole other story

Pot, kettle...
It's all the same to me - forcing me to step into a box that will remove my clothing makes me feel physically violated.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:46 am
Suspended

It's all the same to me - forcing me to step into a box that will remove my clothing makes me feel physically violated.
Even though you're not stepping into a box (you're standing next to one), your clothing is not removed, and you're not so much as touched physically, never mind violated.

Got it Hyperbole r' Us!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: OnePass
Even though you're not stepping into a box (you're standing next to one), your clothing is not removed, and you're not so much as touched physically, never mind violated.

Got it Hyperbole r' Us!
These machines may as well do that. You've seen the images.

No thank you.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: DL, US Air, AA, HH Diamond

Got it Hyperbole r' Us!
1) The machine sees under the clothing, so in essence, they are removed, albeit virtually.

2) If you don't remove every single scrap of paper from your pockets, or the machine picks up an anamoly, then you will be physically touched to clear the area.

3) Who are you to tell someone what makes them feel violated? That's a personal opinion not a cold hard fact.

Anything else?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
TSA Worker Arrested After Jokes, Fight About Size of Genitalia

A TSA worker in Miami was arrested when he "lost his mind" and attacked a colleague who repeatedly made fun of his small penis after the security screener walked through a high-tech scanner that showed his genitalia, according to Miami-Dade police.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikemey
These machines may as well do that. You've seen the images.

No thank you.
Of course I've seen the images. Nothing I stated above is incorrect - all we're seeing here is more misleading information being spouted by the regulars on this forum. If you'd like to point out where I'm wrong, I'm all ears

Originally Posted by TNGALINFLORIDA
1) The machine sees under the clothing, so in essence, they are removed, albeit virtually.

2) If you don't remove every single scrap of paper from your pockets, or the machine picks up an anamoly, then you will be physically touched to clear the area.

3) Who are you to tell someone what makes them feel violated? That's a personal opinion not a cold hard fact.

Anything else?
If you're going to disagree with me, stick to facts rather than personal opinion:

1. Clothes are not removed by these devices, unless they've had a robot arm appended to them that I missed in the hundreds of documents I've read It's an imaging mechanism, nothing more, nothing less.

2. That's why there are specific instructions to remove such objects from your pockets. Simple, right?

3. I'm not telling anyone anything that they should or shouldn't feel. I'm stating a fact - you may feel "emotionally violated" by these devices, but it's not possible to be physically violated by one - unless above point about robot arm becomes a reality

Thank you for sharing that utterly irrelevant story with us ^

Back on topic. Has there been any confirmed sightings of these devices in any of the NYC area airports? I've had 8 trips through various LGA terminals in the last 2 weeks and haven't seen one, I haven't been in EWR in about a month but they didn't appear to be installed there then at the two checkpoints I saw (in Terminal C).
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Thank you for sharing that utterly irrelevant story with us ^
Yes, I'm glad to share a story about screening clerks fighting over penis size after going through the Nude-O-Scope in a thread about Nude-O-Scopes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.