Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New scanner aims to make liquids on planes safer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond

By SUSAN MONTOYA BRYAN
Associated Press Writer

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- The latest airport security technology being developed at Los Alamos National Laboratory could open the door for airline passengers to bring their soft drinks and full-size shampoo bottles on board again.

Homeland security officials put the latest generation of the bottled liquid scanner to the test Wednesday during a demonstration at Albuquerque's international airport. Everything from bottled water and champagne to shampoo and pink liquid laxatives were scanned to make sure explosives weren't hiding inside.

The device, about the size of a small refrigerator, uses magnetic resonance to read the liquids' molecular makeup, even when the substances are in metal containers. Within 15 seconds, a light on top of the simple-looking metal box flashes red or green, depending on whether there's danger.

The device is so sensitive it can tell the difference between red and white wine, and between different types of soda.

"What we're doing is really looking for the real dangers, like liquid homemade explosives," said Stephen Surko, program manager of the Homeland Security Advanced Research Projects Agency. "We're just real excited at the progress we're making."

[...]

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 14, 2010 at 12:45 am Reason: Trimmed for respect for copyrights
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:32 pm
mck

do we really need to use an MRI for airport security?

surely there are better things to do with money.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I'm sure one of the mods will move this out of the DL forum (and could perhaps in the process make the subject not imply this is imminent), but in the mean time this isn't really news. Reports of this R&D were out last fall, with an ETA of sometime this year. Sounds like we'll still be waiting for a bit.

Better than the nude-o-scopes, though.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Just because some machine like this is created, doesn't mean that the liquids smaller than 3 ounces system is going away tomorrow. No need to jump that fast. This also needs to go to the TS&S forum.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by N639DL
Just because some machine like this is created, doesn't mean that the liquids smaller than 3 ounces system is going away tomorrow. No need to jump that fast. This also needs to go to the TS&S forum.
Plus this device was probably only designed to handle bottles that are 3oz's or less
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am moving this to the TS/S forum where it belongs.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It can tell between red and white wine with a green or red light? Seems they dumb it down for the TSO.

And of course the German guy hits it spot on.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Sounds like a solution looking for the problem TSA created. The problem can't be solved unless someone's pockets are lined. It also ignores the fact they've had liquid scanning tech in Japan for YEARS. Classic "not invented here."

Originally Posted by TFA
Barbara Riegelsberger of Cleveland, who travels several times a year, said she has become accustomed to the hassles of packing her shampoo and leaving behind her water bottle.
Wow, several times a year is the epitome of frequent flyerdom. The German is absolutely right.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Susan Bryan, Naive AP writer, Oct 2010
The technology is still a few years from being deployed in the nation's airports...

They have already spent more than $14 million developing the liquid scanners, ...

Over the last two years, researchers have been able to make the bottled liquid scanner about 90 percent smaller and six times faster. The goal is to make it even smaller so it can fit beside other equipment at airport checkpoints.
Originally Posted by Kip Hawley, Oct2008
Path Forward

We are deploying the best technology and training as fast as we can get it. The goal is to remove all the restrictions on liquids when we have automated systems that can accurately separate threat from non-threat liquids. Here’s the plan:

Now: We are pretty close to having a network of AT-X-Ray deployed so that nearly 70% of daily passengers will be using major airports with AT. TSA is getting the hardware installed so that when the software is ready in the next year or so, all we have to do is a software upgrade. We will be testing software versions in the coming months.

Fall-2009: Size restriction removed, but all liquids will have to be placed in a separate bin. AT X-Ray software will be advanced enough to tell the difference between threat and non-threat but not yet proven to tell the difference when it is hidden in a bag.

End of 2010: No restrictions. AT X-Ray will have upgraded software that is proven to detect threat liquids in any configuration and is deployed in enough places so that TSA can change the rules to meet one uniform standard for the country.
Japan already has this technology. At the checkpoint. For years, now. (As Superguy said while I was typing this. )

Last edited by RadioGirl; Oct 13, 2010 at 8:16 pm Reason: Saw Superguy's post!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
If my 12 ounce drink is so dangerous it could potentially bring down a plane, why does it get thrown away in a garbage can that thousands of passengers walk by and scores of TSO's stand next to for their entire shift?

Barbara Riegelsberger of Cleveland, who travels several times a year, said she has become accustomed to the hassles of packing her shampoo and leaving behind her water bottle.

"I'm willing to do what I need to do to be safe," she said.

AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Someone needs to smack this woman.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 16, 2010 at 5:17 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...quid-scan.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...nes-again.html
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by mck
do we really need to use an MRI for airport security?

surely there are better things to do with money.
But how else can they find illegal drugs easily?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It might not sound like a lot, but 15 seconds is WAY too long for each passenger.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Once again, the useless TSA is late to the party - probably waiting for someone's pockets to line.

This technology has been around for eons - it's standard no-sample-prep gas chromatography. The lab in my alma-mater has used it for years and I posted about it maybe 4 years ago, even including a link to the manufacture's site and documentation in the hope that some dimwitted TSA employee might read my post and have a moment of 'duh'. The company was even trying to position it as a security device.

The machines run about 250k a pop - not cheap, but I'm sure the TSA can workout a deal even after the pocket lining and bribery.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Japan already has this technology. At the checkpoint. For years, now. (As Superguy said while I was typing this. )

Interesting... then how come if I buy liquids duty free en route from the US through the NRT hub, I can't carry them through security if I'm changing planes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.