Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Full-body scans of passengers to start at Sea-Tac in September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full-body scans of passengers to start at Sea-Tac in September

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Flash Card
Are the WTMDs gone from SEA?
They are not and in the mornings they are still the sole means of screening passengers. All four SEA checkpoints now have BKSX machines installed alongside the conventional WTMD devices. But I've transited SEA in the morning twice in the past three weeks (430a and 700a) at two different checkpoints, and both times the backscatter machines were turned off and unused.

Originally Posted by ahulett
Depending on the configuration, an elite security line may go to a specific WTMD/BKSX line, or you may enter the 'general' line area where you can select your line. You won't know until you see what's going on. And for the very few times I've used the elite line at checkpoint 1, it empties into the same area as the general public's line, and you pick your lane (unless otherwise directed).
All true when the BKSX devices are online. Taking an early-morning flight apparently keeps you clear of them.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
I went through the D/N security checkpoint this morning @ 5:15. From what I could see, only one full body scanner was being used, in the right-center line (just to the left of the far right line that runs along the glass partitions). The line to the far right right and the three lines on the left side were all using WTMD's. After going through the ID check, I simply scanned the lines for the shortest WTMD line and queued up in that one. It was not especially busy this morning - I could see on a busier day you might get directed into a specific line.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I went through SeaTac this morning as well (around 8am) and all the NoS machines were roped off and I saw no one in them. Everyone was going through the WTMD.

Also, I also noticed LOTS of women travelers in skirts (myself included).
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by marmarmar
I went through SeaTac this morning as well (around 8am) and all the NoS machines were roped off and I saw no one in them. Everyone was going through the WTMD.

Also, I also noticed LOTS of women travelers in skirts (myself included).
Before all this started (frisks, NoS) it was not uncommon for folks with 'bulky' clothes to get a wand/patdown even if they did not alarm the WTMD. Cargo pants, oversize loose sweatshirts, for example. Oddly enough, I never heard any women complaining that skirts triggered patdowns/wanding because they were considered bulky.

Now I admit, I never saw or heard of anyone wearing leg-warmers at the airport, so I don't know if they would have triggered an action or not.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Thru North checkpoint at SEA approx 3pm last Friday, Just metal detector, so it's not necessarily in the early morning. BTW, they've reconfigured the setup so the benches for shoe replacement, etc are a distance away. If you like padding across a bare, hard stone floor, here's your chance. In contrast, even DTW has carpeting: OK, end of whine.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, Starwood Plat, AS MVP GOLD 75
Weekly scans

I'm traveling weekly through SeaTac and I get scanned every single week. It's very frustrating because most of the time when I go through security Monday morning their process seems to be make everyone go through the scanner and if the line gets too long we start putting people through the metal detector.

Not only that but everytime that I go through the scanner at SeaTac they always find part of my body that they insist on patting down, most of the time they pat down my head but today they patted my chest which I asked the woman if the scanner showed I had something in my bra.

I would like to complain about this since I feel like scanning EVERYONE is a bit unneccessary and I have not seen it at any of the airports that I regularly travel through but really who could you complain to and know that your concerns are actually being heard.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by heatherita
I'm traveling weekly through SeaTac and I get scanned every single week. It's very frustrating because most of the time when I go through security Monday morning their process seems to be make everyone go through the scanner and if the line gets too long we start putting people through the metal detector.

Not only that but everytime that I go through the scanner at SeaTac they always find part of my body that they insist on patting down, most of the time they pat down my head but today they patted my chest which I asked the woman if the scanner showed I had something in my bra.

I would like to complain about this since I feel like scanning EVERYONE is a bit unneccessary and I have not seen it at any of the airports that I regularly travel through but really who could you complain to and know that your concerns are actually being heard.

How about OPTING-OUT of the Nude-O-Scope?
Old May 17, 2011, 5:17 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
A friend of mine says she found a single lane at SEA that is scanner-free. If you're facing the secure area from the check in lobby, the checkpoint farthest to the right would be the D/N gates. Moving to the left, the next one down is a small checkpoint for the C gates. Apparently the far left lane at this checkpoint is scanner-free.

Check it out next time and let us know!
Old May 17, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sydneysider
A friend of mine says she found a single lane at SEA that is scanner-free. If you're facing the secure area from the check in lobby, the checkpoint farthest to the right would be the D/N gates. Moving to the left, the next one down is a small checkpoint for the C gates. Apparently the far left lane at this checkpoint is scanner-free.

It was for me back in late January. Look at the website in my signature line for the latest info.
Old May 18, 2011, 2:58 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Sydneysider

There is also a scanner free lane at the D/N checkpoint at the far left, all the way up against the wall.

The small C checkpoint (in front of the AS Board Room) is usually where I go through. Using the x-ray machine to the left of the NoS puts you in the WTMD lane. I usually use the far left lane, up against the wall, and it is indeed a scanner free lane.
Old May 22, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've noticed that SEA has consistently required me to remove my belt for the metal detector (not the Nude-o-Scope) consistently these days.

Is this because they're afraid of something hidden in/by it, or because they've ramped up the sensitivity so that they'd get hits?
Old May 22, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I've noticed that SEA has consistently required me to remove my belt for the metal detector (not the Nude-o-Scope) consistently these days.

Is this because they're afraid of something hidden in/by it, or because they've ramped up the sensitivity so that they'd get hits?
I now generally take off my belt at all airports even though I've worn it through the magnetomer without an alarm, trying to do everything I can to avoid special attention. The sensitivity can indeed vary.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger

"No Belts in Seattle" is what I was told today, when I used the elite line at D to avoid the bodyscanner.

Makes no sense to me, but it's the TSA.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:56 pm

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Originally Posted by heatherita

You do know you are getting irradiated with ionizing radiation (like an xray, but a lower dose) EVERY WEEK? This type of radiation is cumulative. If you're getting patted down anyway, you might as well opt out, save your cells the damage, and get the patdown without going through the scanner. Yes, it is reportedly a small dose of radiation, but it will add up and for a frequent flyer, I don't think it's the best idea. You wouldn't go get a chest xray every month just for the heck of it, would you?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:15 am

The far left lane in the C (middle) screening area leads only to a WTMD, but the TSOs can and do order some passengers in that lane through the NoS. I have to opt out pretty frequently there, despite my best efforts at self-directed opt outs. Still, the far left C line gives the best odds of a grope and scan free experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.