Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Full-body scans of passengers to start at Sea-Tac in September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM

Sea-Tac International Airport passengers will soon begin undergoing full-body scans as the federal government installs equipment that will help identify terrorist threats but poses concerns about privacy, health risks and longer waits in security lines.

. . .

"Every passenger has the option to refuse to go through these," and walk through a metal detector instead, Baird said. Those who do will be subject to a pat-down, a procedure that takes extra time, but one that privacy experts recommend for those who feel uncomfortable.

"People should not just accept this as a foregone conclusion," said Ginger McCall, staff counsel for the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington, D.C. Her organization has filed sued to stop the use of body scans, charging they are the equivalent of a digital strip-search.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...canners19.html
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
That stinks. I was planning a visit to Seattle in October to visit a friend. Now I may reconsider!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:32 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
They were using them in JAX, too. Fortunately, I wasn't "selected" for it. I would decline the scan - not because of privacy, but because I don't want an unnecessary dose of radiation (or whatever they use).
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That stinks. I was planning a visit to Seattle in October to visit a friend. Now I may reconsider!
You might as well just go and plan to be hand inspected. At the rate things are going every airport will have them. Though not every terminal - so just choose accordingly if you do not want the aggravation.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Fortunately, local news-talk radio (KOMO) cited the "growing list of cons" associated with the Nude-o-Scopes as it covered the story today, and aired several critical soundbites. Also, commentary on the Seattle Times online forums was running heavily against the NoS. Maybe we're slowly edging away from blind, dumb acceptance of ridiculous security measures.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
Fortunately, local news-talk radio (KOMO) cited the "growing list of cons" associated with the Nude-o-Scopes as it covered the story today, and aired several critical soundbites. Also, commentary on the Seattle Times online forums was running heavily against the NoS. Maybe we're slowly edging away from blind, dumb acceptance of ridiculous security measures.
If I knew how to start a revolution, I would. SOMEBODY has to surface who knows how to and is willing to lead the charge.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
You might as well just go and plan to be hand inspected. At the rate things are going every airport will have them. Though not every terminal - so just choose accordingly if you do not want the aggravation.
Unfortunately, it's looking more like that. So far, I've been able to avoid the NoS, and haven't had a patdown-ever! Obviously that's going to change, given the fact that my home airport, DEN, will be getting four more cancer boxes. Of course TSA will put them at the entrance to the elite line, so that won't help me that much..

Originally Posted by doober
If I knew how to start a revolution, I would. SOMEBODY has to surface who knows how to and is willing to lead the charge.
+100000000
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Right Direction, but they don't have a clue

August 19, 2010

The Honorable John F. Clark
Director
U.S. Marshals Service
U.S. Department of Justice

As you probably are aware, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has employed protocols for the use of AIT that includes a prohibition on the storage or retention of images from whole body imaging scans in most circumstances.

We also encourage you to consider the use of automatic target recognition (ATR) software with all AITs. This auto-detection software addresses many of the privacy concerns raised by the AITs by eliminating the need for a federal security official to view the images generated by scans. ATR is already in use at Schiphol International Airport in Amsterdam and is currently being reviewed by TSA for use in U.S. airports. Computer-based auto-detection technology, which identifies potentially threatening objects on a person using a featureless human body outline to highlight those areas of the individual that may require further inspection, would go a long way to
address the legitimate privacy concerns many Americans have regarding whole body imaging technology.

Joseph I. Lieberman, United States Senator
Susan M. Collins, United States Senator
Daniel H. Akaka, United States Senator
Thomas R. Carper, United States Senator
Saxby Chambliss, United States Senator
Johnny Isakson, United States Senator

http://politechbot.com/docs/lieberma...ing.081910.txt

These bozos don't know about the different technologies?
They seem to think saving images is OK in some cases?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wimpie
August 19, 2010

The Honorable John F. Clark
Director
U.S. Marshals Service
U.S. Department of Justice

As you probably are aware, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has employed protocols for the use of AIT that includes a prohibition on the storage or retention of images from whole body imaging scans in most circumstances.

We also encourage you to consider the use of automatic target recognition (ATR) software with all AITs. This auto-detection software addresses many of the privacy concerns raised by the AITs by eliminating the need for a federal security official to view the images generated by scans. ATR is already in use at Schiphol International Airport in Amsterdam and is currently being reviewed by TSA for use in U.S. airports. Computer-based auto-detection technology, which identifies potentially threatening objects on a person using a featureless human body outline to highlight those areas of the individual that may require further inspection, would go a long way to
address the legitimate privacy concerns many Americans have regarding whole body imaging technology.

Joseph I. Lieberman, United States Senator
Susan M. Collins, United States Senator
Daniel H. Akaka, United States Senator
Thomas R. Carper, United States Senator
Saxby Chambliss, United States Senator
Johnny Isakson, United States Senator

http://politechbot.com/docs/lieberma...ing.081910.txt

These bozos don't know about the different technologies?
They seem to think saving images is OK in some cases?
They just don't get it, do they? What about the radiation? I guess if it doesn't show the person, then it's completely fine, even if it gives off radiation to the victim
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
Let's hope that slowly goes from molasses in winter to the Victoria falls without an ice age in the process.

Originally Posted by doober
Didn't the Revolutionary War start with a small vocal minority?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
In other news:

"People who care about their health, privacy and the Constitution of the United States of America shall shortly begin opting out of dangerous, ineffective full body scans in Seattle."
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Selfishly I hope that most people aren't "opt-outs," making the line for the, ah, personal contact shorter for us; OTOH I hope everybody opts out.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Fredd
Selfishly I hope that most people aren't "opt-outs," making the line for the, ah, personal contact shorter for us; OTOH I hope everybody opts out.
Wouldn't it great if 100% opt out was to break out?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I encourage everyone I talk to to opt out.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
^

Originally Posted by mozgytog
I encourage everyone I talk to to opt out.
Yes, and as a geezer I'll get away with loud and cheerful comments while in line, e.g. warning the TSA employees to stay away from these dangerous newfangled contraptions too if they ever want to have children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.