Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Meet The Man Who Takes Off His Pants At Security Checkpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

"It was only a matter of time before someone decided it wasn’t worth it removing their shoes, belt, wallet, and emptying their pockets while passing through an airport security checkpoint. Why not just strip to one’s skivvies—especially considering the new generation of x-ray scanners will do it for you anyway? This weekend, I met the guy who has."

The rest is at: http://www.greglindsay.org/blog/2010...f_in_airports/
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Good strategy for those who actually wear underwear.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Good strategy for those who actually wear underwear.
Ack. We actually had someone do this at SAT. I have no problem with it, but the police did. He was arrested. I have no idea what he was charged with, I have no idea if the DA pressed charges. But I do know he didn't make his flight. It was funny, though

hmmm now that I think about it, I've seen 2 men take their pants off at the security checkpoint. One was arrested (above), the other was not.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I like this strategy. Maybe time to try at SFO, perhaps with T-shirt protesting nude-o-scope. I don't think you can be charged with indecent exposure unless something is actually exposed.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:05 am

Would this possibly be sexist, i.e. I don't see many women (who are increasingly wearing jeans and pants these days) taking this approach.

Well, you used to do it because you just might get hit by a bus, now you have another reason to wear clean underwear.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Ack. We actually had someone do this at SAT. I have no problem with it, but the police did. He was arrested. I have no idea what he was charged with, I have no idea if the DA pressed charges. But I do know he didn't make his flight. It was funny, though

hmmm now that I think about it, I've seen 2 men take their pants off at the security checkpoint. One was arrested (above), the other was not.
So, was this planned inconsistency to keep the terrorists confused, or a briefs / boxers thing?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:22 am

Its About Time

Kudos to the gentleman traveling from Reno who removed his pants. He is correct that doing so is certainly faster than the alternative of emptying pockets and then refilling them. Clearly a service to all the other waiting travelers.

My only concern, in this instance, is that his underpants had pictures of helicoptors on them. Lest we forget helicoptors were exempt from restrictions after the first Iraq military action, and they were used to terrorize the Kurds in the North and anti Saddam groups in the South of Iraz. Could such a printed pattern be construed by TSA as a terrorist statement while going through security, albeit silent? Perphaps underwear with hearts would be a less threatening statement.

All travelers should take up the gauntlet and strip down to their underwear. Perhaps this will encourage the TSA to reconsider their policies.

A question to our legal minds. What constitutes indecent exposure? I realize this probably varies from State to State but some basic guidlines would be appreciated.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:02 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Why was it funny? Unless the man in question was going commando, what possible cause could there be for arrest?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
The 1970s called. They want their pants back.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:44 am

We actually had someone [remove his outer pants, wearing just a pair of shorts to the checkpoint] at SAT. I have no problem with it, but the police did. He was arrested. I have no idea what he was charged with, I have no idea if the DA pressed charges. But I do know he didn't make his flight. It was funny, though
Could you please take a guess? Did you see the man do anything you think was unlawful?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Thumbs up pants off at tsa security

Originally Posted by sailman
Kudos to the gentleman traveling from Reno who removed his pants. He is correct that doing so is certainly faster than the alternative of emptying pockets and then refilling them. Clearly a service to all the other waiting travelers. ...
I salute him. His emphasis on reality and truthfulness has earned him no contest.

Originally Posted by ralfp
Why was it funny? Unless the man in question was going commando, what possible cause could there be for arrest?
Originally Posted by pmocek
Could you please take a guess? Did you see the man do anything you think was unlawful?
I wonder the same 2 questions myself.

Ack. We actually had someone do this at SAT. I have no problem with it, but the police did. He was arrested. ... I've seen 2 men take their pants off at the security checkpoint. One was arrested (above), the other was not.
I knew the police would do that. Probably they're just tripping on power.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by IslandBased
So, was this planned inconsistency to keep the terrorists confused, or a briefs / boxers thing?
I didn't know TSA arrested people

Talk to the police, ask them.

Originally Posted by ralfp
Sorry, but the situation was funn. Everyone was laughing, including the man who did it. Until he was arrested.

And please read my post; I specifically stated I did not know why he was arrested.

What good would my guess do? I'm not a LEO nor a lawyer.

I've also seen a woman who when told she had to remove her jacket ripped (I do mean ripped) off her jacket and shirt underneath, leaving just a bra. A female LEO thretened to arrest her.

But let me ask you this, why did you change what I wrote? He didn't have "shorts" on underneath his pants. Please re-edit your post so that what I wrote was what I wrote. Thanks.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 7, 2010 at 7:02 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:06 am

And please read my post; I specifically stated I did not know why he was arrested.
Understood. Did you see the man do anything you thought then or think now was unlawful?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:21 am

Understood. Did you see the man do anything you thought then or think now was unlawful?
I didn't really pay attention to him. Just saw him remove his pants and come through. I just shook my head and continued what I was doing. So for the time he was in checkpoint I hardly saw him.

You do know that eye witnesses are not that reliable?

And I can not answer your question, because I do not know the law well enough. What does San Antonio statues say about being in a public place in hour underware? I do not know. What if the underware is boxers, what if they are speed-o's that Shia your backside? What if when I wasn't looking he "flashed" people? There are so many what-ifs here and I simply do not know what local or state laws say about it.

My opinion is pointless. If I say he didn't break the law, I could be 100% wrong. If I say he did violate the law, I could be 100% wrong.

I have already said it didn't bother me. But I guess your trying to get a TSO on record as saying something is illegal when it's not, so you can pounce? Am I in the ball-park here?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:28 am

I can not answer your question, because I do not know the law well enough.
I didn't ask if he did anything unlawful. I didn't ask if you saw him do anything you know to be unlawful.

Did you see the man do anything you thought then or think now was unlawful? I understand that he might have done something you believe to be unlawful, but you didn't see it, and I understand that you might have seen him do something you did not think was unlawful but actually was. No problem.

My opinion is pointless.
That's very humble of you, but I'm curious about what you saw and your opinion of it. Will you please share your memory with us?

If I say he didn't break the law, I could be 100% wrong. If I say he did violate the law, I could be 100% wrong.
Understood.

I guess your trying to get a TSO on record as saying something is illegal when it's not, so you can pounce? Am I in the ball-park here?
No. I just want to know if you saw the man do anything you thought then or think now was unlawful. Did you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.