Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Just say "No!" - Drink Testing at some airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Was in Terminal A today at SMF waiting for my Southwest flight to SEA, just watching the rain and drinking my Java City non-fat mocha.

Two Smurfs were wandering the terminal, one with a clipboard and the other with the Magic Strips(tm) and something in an eyedropper; they were going up to people and testing their beverages. Sure enough they eventually came over to me.

Smurf 1: "Good afternoon sir, may we test your beverage?"
Me: "No." (Both Smurfs' eyes get wide...apparently they are not used to the proletariat standing up for themselves)
Smurf 1: "This will only take a sec, may we please test your drink?"
Me: "Absolutely not."
Smurf 2: Writes down something briefly on the clipboard and tells Smurf 1, "Let's go on."

They collar a young lady who submits to the test some 10 feet away from me. The young lady THANKS the Smurfs for "keeping us safe" and I just bust out laughing out loud. The Smurfs glare at me but say nothing and head on to the next lamb.

The young lady asks me what's wrong with them doing the test and we have a teaching moment about security theatre and slippery slopes.

Score: El Cochinito 1. Smurfs: 0.

So when it comes to the beverage test: Just say No!

P.S. --- The new game they're apparently also playing at SMF is to have four Smurfs eyeball passengers as we board the aircraft. Two Smurfs outside the jetway and two just inside the jetway. No gate groping or ID checks going on, just a staredown.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:09 pm
Idaho66

Unhappy No, say it's not true...

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
... something in an eyedropper; they were going up to people and testing their beverages.
they had something in an eyedropper that they were going to put into your drink??? I'm kind of new to the forum, and I realise you have more than 2000 posts under your belt so this may seem kind of disrespectful... but... you're joking. Aren't you???

Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

P.S. --- The new game they're apparently also playing at SMF is to have four Smurfs eyeball passengers as we board the aircraft. Two Smurfs outside the jetway and two just inside the jetway. No gate groping or ID checks going on, just a staredown.
It's not just in Sacramento, seen it in about four other cities.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was in Terminal A today at SMF waiting for my Southwest flight to SEA, just watching the rain and drinking my Java City non-fat mocha.

Two Smurfs were wandering the terminal, one with a clipboard and the other with the Magic Strips(tm) and something in an eyedropper; they were going up to people and testing their beverages. Sure enough they eventually came over to me.

Smurf 1: "Good afternoon sir, may we test your beverage?"
Me: "No." (Both Smurfs' eyes get wide...apparently they are not used to the proletariat standing up for themselves)
Smurf 1: "This will only take a sec, may we please test your drink?"
Me: "Absolutely not."
Smurf 2: Writes down something briefly on the clipboard and tells Smurf 1, "Let's go on."

They collar a young lady who submits to the test some 10 feet away from me. The young lady THANKS the Smurfs for "keeping us safe" and I just bust out laughing out loud. The Smurfs glare at me but say nothing and head on to the next lamb.

The young lady asks me what's wrong with them doing the test and we have a teaching moment about security theatre and slippery slopes.

Score: El Cochinito 1. Smurfs: 0.

So when it comes to the beverage test: Just say No!

Nicely done!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
The disturbing part of your report is this section.

Here is a woman who thinks that the TSA is keeping her safe by testing the beverage she purchased airside.

If they were doing their proper job, they wouldn't have to test beverages airside, but I am sure something as basic as that would never occur to her.

Good grief.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev

Here is a woman who thinks that the TSA is keeping her safe by testing the beverage she purchased airside.

If they were doing their proper job, they wouldn't have to test beverages airside, but I am sure something as basic as that would never occur to her.

Good grief.
Exactly part of what I told her.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Idaho66
they had something in an eyedropper that they were going to put into your drink??? I'm kind of new to the forum, and I realise you have more than 2000 posts under your belt so this may seem kind of disrespectful... but... you're joking. Aren't you???
No - they just wave the Magic Paper over your beverage. Not sure what the eyedropper is - I'm guessing it contains some kind of reagent which they can use on the test strip to further the drama somehow.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev

Good grief.
The number of people who believe the tripe that TSA spews is extremely disturbing.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by halls120
The number of people who believe the tripe that TSA spews is extremely disturbing.
As an old friend of ours says: TSA = Thousands Standing Around = Useless.

And lets not forget crapping on the Constitution while we are at it.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by N1120A
As an old friend of ours says: TSA = Thousands Standing Around = Useless.

And lets not forget crapping on the Constitution while we are at it.
No it is Terrorist Support Agency! And they are doing that job very well don't you think?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Why do you guys have to constantly insult people that are just doing their jobs? It's no surprise that some TSA folks have a bad attitude when they have to deal with people like the OP all day long.

They don't go to your day job and laugh at you. Cut these guys some slack.

Complain to management, or don't participate in the VOLUNTARY test. But save your crappy attitude for the internet.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Unfortunately, it seems most passengers don't have a "crappy attitude," as they are on board with the "anything for security" crowd.

I don't see that the OP had an attitude problem anyway - he simply declined to have his drink "tested" by two strangers who appeared prepared to put something in his drink. I think it would be unwise to allow that - one has no idea what is in the dropper, and no guarantee they will not slip a toxin into your beverage, even though they claim they are "just testing" or "just keeping you safe."

As a female who frequently travels alone, I am far too wary of potential date rape to allow such behavior, and I am surprised TSA finds it acceptable, as do most passengers, apparently.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Why do you guys have to constantly insult people that are just doing their jobs?
Because the things they do in the course of doing their "jobs" suck.

My tax dollars and "security" fees pay these people to harass me. That a big reason for the attitude. They are welcome to take another, more honorable job any time they like.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:42 pm

There is no evidence that the dropper would be used to place something in the drink.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by onlyairfare
Unfortunately, it seems most passengers don't have a "crappy attitude," as they are on board with the "anything for security" crowd.

I don't see that the OP had an attitude problem anyway - he simply declined to have his drink "tested" by two strangers who appeared prepared to put something in his drink. I think it would be unwise to allow that - one has no idea what is in the dropper, and no guarantee they will not slip a toxin into your beverage, even though they claim they are "just testing" or "just keeping you safe."

As a female who frequently travels alone, I am far too wary of potential date rape to allow such behavior, and I am surprised TSA finds it acceptable, as do most passengers, apparently.

No TSA agent is going to put "toxins" in your drink. In fact, they aren't going to put anything in there. They would have waved their magic paper above your drink, dropped a liquid on it, and then moved on.

Before you cry date rape, you might want to check the facts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.