Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Should Bring the visitors back into the concourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Hi All,

Do you even think TSA/DHS will ever to be reinstates to bring visitors back into the gates area once again. I hasn't hear anything more specific news from DHS/TSA are wase their time. I just want to do it right thing to do to be approval all US-Airport to bring the visitors back into the gate areas or at the sterile area. Everyone want to watch the plane where the passengers is coming out of the aircraft. I am still fought against TSA/DHS/FAA are very smarter enough about 9/11 rules changes. I didn't like it at all. It is our own justifiable where the non-ticket has to rights to enter into the concourse. I just want to be approval from FAA/DHS/TSA to do something. I know we ware waiting to hear from TSA/DHS for 8 years now. I am still fought against TSA/DHS to bring the visitors back into the gate areas.

However, I just want to taking the advantage of it. Let's do it to be in negotiations deal from TSA/DHS is suject to be approval. I didn't care what FAA says about new security measures. I knows FAA are very smarter enough to enforce the ticket passengers only does not to be existed. I will wait to hear if they are ready to be approval to bring the visitors into the sterile area without the ticket. So if you would like to consider for TSA/DHS to get proper permission all-US Airports to be reinstates. Thanks all.

Regards
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:30 am

I didn't travel as much pre 9/11, but it seems like many airports I visit now would see little benefit to a change while others would see a huge benefit as far as vendors are concerned.

Most of the hubs could benefit because they tend to have more shopping options. Airports like ITH, ELM, AVL have nothing after security so the only thing non-traveling visitors would be seeing would be passengers.

The airports seem to be crowded enough that adding more people past security would not be pleasant.

The process for getting to the gate should be easy enough for circumstances that warrant it without having a situation where a whole church is greeting an arriving flight.

Last edited by gj83; Nov 9, 2009 at 7:36 am
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
I hope not. I don't want people's entire family following them to the gate. It just means longer lines at TSA and less seats at the gate...
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:10 am
Suspended

Everyone want to watch the plane where the passengers is coming out of the aircraft.
Not everyone want to watch plane inside terminal.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will never happen.

The result would be the necessity to check IDs at the gate, rather than the "security" checkpoint. A 777, with about 250 people on it, one ID checker, with each one taking 15 to 20 seconds....that's four people per minute. And on a 777 with 250 people would take a little over an hour for one person to check all the IDs.

Not to mention, it would divert more TSAers from the "security" checkpoints to the gates, creating longer lines on top of the additional people coming through.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Not everyone want to watch plane inside terminal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMZI6Qs-J4c'

Especially not like this... Jump to 1:07. (Too bad I can't find the clip by itself)
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:05 am

Well, if the visitors have valid ID, sure.

What possible harm could it cause? (That isn't already possible under the current scheme of comparing the IDs to the self-printed boarding passes. Or by the no-ID required 17 year old potential terrorists.)

Oh, but there is a financial incentive for the airlines -- keeping visitors away from the gates makes the self-loading-freight process faster and cheaper, so TSA will probably keep subsidizing the airlines operations.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I know the airport director here has always wanted visitors to be admitted as he is thinking about the almighty dollar that would be made in the restaurants & bars etc.

But imo it will never happen & I've heard of nothing in the works.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I definitely don't want visitors re-admitted. I used to hate it when a whole family would greet an arriving passenger, blocking the exit from the jetway and holding everyone up. Concourses are far too crowded, anyway. Keep airports for passengers only!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I would leave the decision up to individual airport management. ATL on a Friday night with thunderstorms rolling through is already a nightmare. Can't imagine adding any non-passengers to that mix. Small outstations where the bars and restaurants could use a boost in sales, why not.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by tev9999
I would leave the decision up to individual airport management. ATL on a Friday night with thunderstorms rolling through is already a nightmare. Can't imagine adding any non-passengers to that mix. Small outstations where the bars and restaurants could use a boost in sales, why not.
I'm not sure that we need another case of "some airports do, some airports don't; each airport is different" floating around ...
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
As long as security check is at the gate like at SIN, then I'd have no problem with allowing the visitors into the concourse.
Otherwise, it will just mean more wait at the already too long TSA checkpoint.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by LessO2
Will never happen.

The result would be the necessity to check IDs at the gate, rather than the "security" checkpoint.
Originally Posted by Mr. Gel-pack
Well, if the visitors have valid ID, sure.
@:-) Or they could get rid of the pointless, illegal ID checks and then these issues would be resolved.

In Australia there's no ID checks at security (yeah, I know, the bad guys hate you more than they hate us. ) and so in domestic terminals anyone can go to the gate as long as they go through screening. I occasionally see relatives waiting for arriving passengers but it doesn't seem to cause any particular problems with crowds.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Janus
I hope not. I don't want people's entire family following them to the gate. It just means longer lines at TSA and less seats at the gate...
+1. I've gotten accustomed to saying my goodbyes pre-security. I certainly don't want the additional congestion at the lines this would cause.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:02 pm

I am also against having non-passengers in the gate area. Besides the friends and family, you open up the gate area to all sorts of other people. Back in the 80s, I remember the gate area at LGA and JFK being a haven for panhandlers, scam artists, pickpockets, political activists, and all sorts of people looking to take advantage of travelers. Yes it was nice to spend an extra hour with family but it meant being subjected to all sorts of harassment before a flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.