New Tom Bihn bag

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
New Tom Bihn bag

Check out the new Tristar
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0940

Works for me, I ordered 2, lol. No, not for myself. One's for a grad gift. Both indigo/solar. I like the Skytrain (Red Oxx)and Bihn's Aeronaut, but full, they're likely to be more than I want to tote. If I absolutely have to take more than the Tristar can hold, I'll just have to revert to wheels.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Interesting. Looks like they really thought this through and have everything you need in a convertible-type bag. I particularly like the middle section where the laptop goes.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:10 pm

Similar bag to the old Victorinox Standard Issue, right down to the 1050 Ballistic. The bag could have been $30 cheaper if they used standard YKK zippers instead of water resistant zippers (no need on a non-waterproof fabric).
Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
Similar bag to the old Victorinox Standard Issue, right down to the 1050 Ballistic. The bag could have been $30 cheaper if they used standard YKK zippers instead of water resistant zippers (no need on a non-waterproof fabric).
Hm, the NXT 3.0 series was 1050D, the NXT 4.0 series apparently 2100D. The Vics also are a good 2lb heavier. That counts. More expensive, too. But if you count the shoulder strap and the Freudian slip it probably evens out. Plus the Vics can be had with a discount.

The real killer will be the MEI Convertible, The MEI EO, the Patagonia MLC and perhaps even the ebags Weekender at $55 compared to $200 or $235 once you add the organizer panel.

I am usually all for buying high quality stuff once at a high price and be done with it. But at 4x the price?

Till
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Till, have you tried to buy am MEI lately? I did get an e-mail response to an inquiry from the guy running the business, but no further response when I tried to order one back in early Feb. Guess he's having some issues aside from the business.

I looked at the Patagonia, and actually did purchase an Osprey Porter instead--I just wasn't too taken with the Patagonia (and I'm a fan of the company). My granddaughter wants to claim the Osprey (nice bag).

Agree the Tristar's darned pricey. Fortunately, already own a strap, don't need a Freudian slip, so I'm good to go with the base price. Yeah, right. Bihn's got multiple little add-ons that are mighty tempting. It's like buying a pick-up--pretty soon you've got your grill gaurd, bumper hitch, goose-neck hitch, running boards, bed liner, gun rack.............
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by skipaway
Till, have you tried to buy am MEI lately? I did get an e-mail response to an inquiry from the guy running the business, but no further response when I tried to order one back in early Feb. Guess he's having some issues aside from the business.

I looked at the Patagonia, and actually did purchase an Osprey Porter instead--I just wasn't too taken with the Patagonia (and I'm a fan of the company). My granddaughter wants to claim the Osprey (nice bag).

Agree the Tristar's darned pricey. Fortunately, already own a strap, don't need a Freudian slip, so I'm good to go with the base price. Yeah, right. Bihn's got multiple little add-ons that are mighty tempting. It's like buying a pick-up--pretty soon you've got your grill gaurd, bumper hitch, goose-neck hitch, running boards, bed liner, gun rack.............
Have never tried to buy a Mei. There is certainly something to be said for a company that has been in regular business for 20 years under one owner.

I never saw the Osprey Porter close-up so I didn't comment on that. It might be the lightest bag in that arena, no?

I did like the MLC I saw at Wholeearth Co. My decision for one of these bags would really probably be between the cheap ebags Weekender and the expensive Tristar. Good thing I don't have to make that decision.

If you have the time, please post a little review or some impressions of the Tristar.

Till
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Wow, the E-bags weekender really looks like a very nice bag. I wonder why it doesn't get more play here on Flyertalk.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Wow, the E-bags weekender really looks like a very nice bag. I wonder why it doesn't get more play here on Flyertalk.
It's too cheap. FT'ers are a bit snobby. They only want to be seen with the best money can buy.

I am the first to say buy the best you can afford and be done with it. But given that the Weekender has gotten literally thousands of really good reviews, that it's obviously quite well constructed and thought out, plus the fact that it's rather light, makes me wonder whether I should get one. I also like the design. Perhaps not as much as the design of the Tristar but at least it has some orange on it.

Till
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by tfar
It's too cheap. FT'ers are a bit snobby. They only want to be seen with the best money can buy.

I am the first to say buy the best you can afford and be done with it. But given that the Weekender has gotten literally thousands of really good reviews, that it's obviously quite well constructed and thought out, plus the fact that it's rather light, makes me wonder whether I should get one. I also like the design. Perhaps not as much as the design of the Tristar but at least it has some orange on it.

Till
I looked at the reviews... especially the negative ones and found even the negative ones usually weren't griping about the bag itself. They were things like, its too heavy. Well, that happens when you stuff 50 pounds into a bag.

The Tristar looks really really interesting, but I have a trip coming up and the June ship date is just waaay too late for me.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: Elite in Every Way
Originally Posted by skipaway
Check out the new Tristar
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0940

Works for me, I ordered 2, lol. No, not for myself. One's for a grad gift. Both indigo/solar. I like the Skytrain (Red Oxx)and Bihn's Aeronaut, but full, they're likely to be more than I want to tote. If I absolutely have to take more than the Tristar can hold, I'll just have to revert to wheels.
If you look at the dimensions, the Tri-Star is just a week bit smaller than the Skytrain. With three smaller compartments, I don't know if you can load up the Tri-Star like a Skytrain

The Tri-Star looks like an interesting bag, but I would like to see the dimensions of each of the three compartments to see just how versatile the bag will be.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
Hello! Darcy from TOM BIHN here.

Victorinox, to our knowledge, has never used 1050 denier ballistic nylon.

We've been using YKK's Uretek splash-proof zippers for over five years. Our customers (and external reviewers) have tested the water-resistance of these zippers whether on purpose (one reviewer took a shower with his Aeronaut to test the zippers) or not (customers caught in a rain storm), and the feedback has been resoundingly positive.

An unshielded standard zipper is much less water-resistant than our YKK Uretek zippers. In addition, our 1050 denier ballistic nylon fabric is waterproof - what makes our bags not completely waterproof is that the bags are sewn as opposed to RF-welded. Only bags that are RF-welded - like Ortlieb bags - can be called waterproof.

If any FlyerTalk forum members have questions about the Tri-Star, ask away.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Thanks for joining FlyerTalk darcytb.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Welcome to Flyertalk, Darcy!

Audrey
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:12 pm

Hello! Darcy from TOM BIHN here.

Victorinox, to our knowledge, has never used 1050 denier ballistic nylon.

We've been using YKK's Uretek splash-proof zippers for over five years. Our customers (and external reviewers) have tested the water-resistance of these zippers whether on purpose (one reviewer took a shower with his Aeronaut to test the zippers) or not (customers caught in a rain storm), and the feedback has been resoundingly positive.

An unshielded standard zipper is much less water-resistant than our YKK Uretek zippers. In addition, our 1050 denier ballistic nylon fabric is waterproof - what makes our bags not completely waterproof is that the bags are sewn as opposed to RF-welded. Only bags that are RF-welded - like Ortlieb bags - can be called waterproof.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Victorinox used 1050 ballistic nylon on their NXT series.

Nothing wrong with the zippers. I personally like them. But unless the bag is waterproof, it's an expensive cosmetic upgrade.

And how is the 1050 ballistic waterproof? Your website says it's treated for water resistance. With such a large weave, you'd need 120g PU or a TPU/SPU backing. I didn't see that mentioned.

Last edited by SaigonCyclo; Apr 29, 2009 at 5:14 pm Reason: **
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk, Darcy! Great to have you here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.