Travel Compatible Running Shoes

Subscribe
I've been running for a number of years but hate to pack my running shoes when I travel. They seem to take up a tremendous amount of space. Does anyone have recommendations for smaller light weight running shoes that pack easily?
The only shoe I know of that fits your requirement is the Nike Free line which allows the back heel portion to fold. I have not run with the Free so can't recommend it personally. The other option is to roll stuff in the shoes (running shorts, socks, etc.) which saves some space.
I've had the same issues while travelling. Rather than switiching shoes, I bought a Nike shoe-bag which I velcro (built-in to the Nike travel bag) to the handle of my garment bag. Problem solved.
Reebok Travel Trainers?
I had an earlier version of these Reebok Travel Trainers and they were good for general fitness / training work while on the road. Wouldn't necessarily want to do many miles road-running in them though....

http://www.6pm.com/n/p/p/7262811/c/73414.html
Another approach is to find running shoes that can almost pass as regular shoes. NB has offered some all black models in recent years.
I have the Travel Trainers. They take as much room in my bag as a hotel slipper would, but I only use them in the hotel gym. I wouldn't consider running outside in them.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/bar...ot_running.cfm

They pack flat like a pair of slippers and can even roll up into a ball.
Quote: I've been running for a number of years but hate to pack my running shoes when I travel. They seem to take up a tremendous amount of space. Does anyone have recommendations for smaller light weight running shoes that pack easily?
Wear the running shoes and pack your other shoes, which are likely less bulky. You may need your running shoes to run through the terminal to make a tight connection anyway.

There are lightweight racing flat running shoes that pack small, but may not be great to run in a lot on hard surfaces, and are not available in high stability / motion control types.
I've run on Adidas Supernova Cushions for years, and thought to try out their "Lite" version for packing ease. They certainly were light[weight] and packed easy, but after a three mile run, my ankles felt like I had run ten.

As others suggested, pack your dress shoes and wear your normal runners on planes.
I've debated getting travel running shoes for a while but in the end bringing my own running shoes always wins out. I usually end up doing a long-run at some point in time on the road. Why risk an injury due to shoes you're not used to and potentially derail an entire race training program?

In addition to wearing them I've found the best option is to simply use the shoes as a way to store all of your running gear. I put my running shorts in one shoe. In the other shoe I put a pair of running socks (WrightSock Double Layer Running) plus my Garmin Forerunner. You could likely stuff a Buff or headband or sunglasses in there as well. Both shoes then go into an Eagle Creek shoe bag which is nearly waterproof as an added bonus. That way you can work out during a layover, shower in the club and then just pack everything in the bag to dry out when you get home/to your destination.
This thread hasn't been updated in a while and I was just wondering if anyone has come across some very functional running shoes that pack well. I'm not a marathoner, more of a stay in decent shape person. Run a couple of miles on the treadmill every night with a little biking and lifting. Tired of half my suitcase being taken up by my shoes.
Quote: The only shoe I know of that fits your requirement is the Nike Free line which allows the back heel portion to fold. I have not run with the Free so can't recommend it personally. The other option is to roll stuff in the shoes (running shorts, socks, etc.) which saves some space.
I roll stuffs inside my shoes as well, it gives me additional spaces. You can do this instead of buying a new pair of running shoes.
Salomon Techamphibian
I've ran after many a plane with Salomon Techamphibian shoes. They aren't designed for running, but make a decent overall shoe, have a thick enough sole that you can backpack Europe in them (unlike the Five Fingers thing), and the heel folds down so you can wear them as slippers around hotel rooms, camp sites or whatnot.
Any more input on running in collapsible shoes?
I believe that Nike makes shoes meant to collapse/compress for packing, but how well do they perform? Has anyone run in the Techamphibian shoes in the post above? I feel that packing stuff inside conventional running shoes helps, but not that much. Packing a second pair of shoes is to me one of the greatest impediments to traveling with one carry on bag for long periods. I don't feel like my regular shoes are any smaller, so no advantages one way or the other.
You could check out some of the minimalist shoes mentioned here, but you would need to work up slowly and change the way you run.

http://www.barefootrunners.org/image...wearReview.pdf

I have the Terra Plana Evos and I like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jio7D...next=1&index=8