Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Osprey 46 - ok to pass as 'hand-carry luggage'

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Osprey 46 - ok to pass as 'hand-carry luggage'

I'm sure among the various topics, this has been a good one that comes and goes.

Looks like i'll be bringing my osprey 46 with me for my trip to Barcelona, either via TAP or British Airlines, leaving from IAD. Will this piece of luggage/hand-carry be able to pass WITHOUT being checked in?

Or will it be a case of how the GA or check in attendant at the airport goes?

TIA,
QuesoDeCan
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:21 pm

It fits within BA's dimensions for cabin baggage (22" x 18" x 10") but not hand baggage (16" x 12" x 6")
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:58 am

I believe the published dimensions by Osprey fit BA but not TAP. I say published because not all luggage manufactures measure handles and exterior pockets as a part of the listed dimensions so it is a good idea to measure your bag empty and packed. Since the Osprey is a soft sided bag it is easy to over pack it. If I remember correctly there is an arch in the Osprey bags that could make a difference because the airline sizers are fixed measurements.

I like to measure my luggage on a table. That gives you a solid flat surface to measure from.

The key question is will you get checked and I can't tell you. What I can say is after you pack your bag and it is not it line with the airlines rules be prepared for it to be checked.

I live near a regional airport and after packing my carry on I put my bag in the sizer of the airline I am going to fly on.

Shak
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:34 am

I took mine as carry-on with BA, no problems. Fits quite nicely in the overhead.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do they have the things where you see if it fits at checkin counter? can try that. (as a local)

at gate depends on many factors including load, your other luggage
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
The other thing is a little unfair, but here it is: It depends on how big *you* are.

A large man who can carry the backpack easily, making it look light and small-ish compared to the size of his back, is likely to get away with it without too much of a second glance by check-in or gate agents.

A small 5'1" woman like myself, on the other hand, would probably be forced to check it in. Even though the bag is the same size, it looks huge compared to the size of my back and shoulders. And of course, it would just *look* heavier as I'd likely struggle with it a little bit more.

It might be unfair and a bit of an optical illusion, but there you have it. To be perfectly fair, though, as a smaller woman, my clothes are smaller, too. And I also would be more inclined to check in a 46L bag anyway, since it would be less comfortable for me to carry around an airport.

Pick a carry-on bag that looks light and easy to carry, and chances are nobody will question it.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:54 am
Original Poster

I plan to underpack this hand carry as my luggage...as I'm not planning on the f1 race any more. just to bring my sony nex5 and 2 addl lenses...and some batteries, which can easily fit into the osprey 46 backpack.

decisions....
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
the Osprey porter is a piece of soft sided luggage. While its max dimensions may slightly exceed your airline's dimensions... if you don't overpack you'll be fine. You can use the straightjacket compression concept to squeeze it down quite nicely.

Where I worry are the airlines that weigh the bags. I've not had it happen yet, but I'm expecting it to soon.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:13 pm

A little late, but I wanted to post some feedback. I use a porter 46 for all international and domestic travel, and I have not had an issue. Other than the little ERJ's with UA where you can't fit anything down the front left side of the plane's overheads, it can fit anywhere. Being softsided, you would need to have that thing bloated to near popping before it wouldn't fit in a sizer or overhead. For longer stays, I have a backback on my back, and the porter by the handle. I never check anything, and I just can't find anything to beat the porter. I really is a pack mule.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:08 am
Original Poster

ok so a little bumpy here...still have my osprey 46 which is a workhorse. as I may have mentioned, it's been to from iad to manila (for 1 week) via Tokyo (for 2 weeks) and also from jfk to bcn (for 9 days) via Geneva.

still working like it's brand new and I'm sure I've got some people taking notice of it. I have the moss green colour.....
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
I've taken mine on several trips and had no problem with it as a carry-on.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

I flew F9 RT on the route: IAD/LAS/IAD and was not asked to weigh nor see if the osprey 46 would fit in the dimension box.

The key is not to over stuff it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.