Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Wrist Check. Which watch are you wearing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrist Check. Which watch are you wearing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by boltjames
These days, the value in an older watch is to retain its older look even if it's in slightly rough shape. The vintage vibe is very hot right now for watches that show a little patina and wear. Restoring to like-new condition is a no no.[left]The recommendation you would get is to have the watch mechanically restored but leave the dial and hands alone. Post up a picture and I can give you some advice and direct you to someone who can do whatever is necessary.
I should have been more clear. I want to restore the watch to working condition, not change the look of it. It definitely shows signs of 40+ years of Dad's daily wear, and that's part of why I want it running again.

From a catalog I found online, I think the model is the Sawyer. The band is not original.

BTW if you're interested in seeing watchs that are in "slightly rough shape" I've also got the 1942 Gruen my Dad was wearing when his ship was sunk in WWII. That one I don't think will ever run again...

Last edited by CDTraveler; Apr 20, 2017 at 7:55 pm
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I should have been more clear. I want to restore the watch to working condition, not change the look of it. It definitely shows signs of 40+ years of Dad's daily wear, and that's part of why I want it running again.

BTW if you're interested in seeing watchs that are in "slightly rough shape" I've also got the 1942 Gruen my Dad was wearing when his ship was sunk in WWII. That one I don't think will ever run again...
Okay, that criteria makes it easy, as long as you aren't talking about a restoration and it's just to get it to working condition, you can Google "vintage watch repair" in any city you are comfortable with, check the online reviews, and be good with that. There is nothing specific to Hamilton manual wind watches that any credited watchmaker can't fix. Despite the age of your father's watch, it has no complications, it will be a very easy and relatively inexpensive fix.

If the '42 Gruen is a military-issue watch (usually with both 12 hour and 24 hour time markings) that could be worth some serious coin. And even if you aren't inclined to sell it, that may be a more interesting wearer than the Hamilton, put that on a khaki NATO strap and you are 100% on-trend with the Hipster crowd with a great casual-Friday look. Post a pic of that one.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:21 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
I wanted to track my health so I got a Garmin vivosmart HR+ which I've been wearing for a couple weeks. I like it. I am thinking to get something that looks a bit better like the fenix 5 with a steel or titanium band.

My Seiko spring drive is crying a bit, but I am liking the data I get from my activity.

I doubt I will ever go with an Apple Watch. I want something that looks like a watch but tracks activity. If anyone has experience with these types of watches, please share.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by boltjames
If the '42 Gruen is a military-issue watch (usually with both 12 hour and 24 hour time markings) that could be worth some serious coin. And even if you aren't inclined to sell it, that may be a more interesting wearer than the Hamilton, put that on a khaki NATO strap and you are 100% on-trend with the Hipster crowd with a great casual-Friday look. Post a pic of that one.
Doubt it's military issue. It has a metal expandable band and Dad's name and the date his ship sailed on the back. I did mention that he was wearing it the day the ship was sunk - should give you an idea of the watch's overall condition. It's somewhat amazing that it made it home with him.

The Hamilton is a clean, classic look. Much more my style than hipster.

Thanks for the pointers. If anyone has a watch repairer they especially trust, feel free to PM me with the name.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by shawbridge
My wife wants to buy me an Apple Watch. Some Silicon Valley friends swear by the Fitbit Blaze. Any advice?
FitBit Charge 2 or FitBit Alta HR gets my vote -- I want something which doesn't need to be recharged every single night. Apple Watch is rated for 18 HOURS, Charge 2 is rated for 5 days, Alta is rated for 7.

I have the Charge 2 and I just put it on the charger before I shower in the morning 2x a week. One of the reasons I skipped the Blaze is that you have to remove it from the wrist bands to charge it. I just saw that as a failure point and decided the color screen wasn't going to tell me anything more than a B&W OLED screen would.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:30 am

Bulletproof casio

Cheapo watches all the way.

cant beat quartz.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KRSW
FitBit Charge 2 or FitBit Alta HR gets my vote -- I want something which doesn't need to be recharged every single night. Apple Watch is rated for 18 HOURS, Charge 2 is rated for 5 days, Alta is rated for 7.

I have the Charge 2 and I just put it on the charger before I shower in the morning 2x a week. One of the reasons I skipped the Blaze is that you have to remove it from the wrist bands to charge it. I just saw that as a failure point and decided the color screen wasn't going to tell me anything more than a B&W OLED screen would.
I agree. i have the apple watch and it is exhausting to charge it every day. Especially when i travel. I need to get something else
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by psiddle
Bought my gold Rolex Day-Date (often called the "President") in 1987 and have been wearing it daily since...still love it.
Howard Johnson Platinum. Uber Diamond. I love it. LOL
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by feysul
I agree. i have the apple watch and it is exhausting to charge it every day. Especially when i travel. I need to get something else
I've added a Fenix 3HR to my Rolex (the current version is the 5, but I got a good deal on the 3HR (the immediate prior version - there's no 4)). It's now my weekend/workout watch. Big honking thing, but I have large wrists.

It obviously doesn't do all of the cool Apple apps, but it does email/text notifications, has a few basic (mostly timekeeping/fitness) apps, and most importantly, the battery lasts 2 weeks.

I've found the HR sensor to be basically as good as my Polar chest strap (the gold standard), unlike the Apple Watch when I tried it out or my Fitbit Charge 2, where the HR sensor is unusable for anything other than resting HR.

I bought it because I have to take my Rolex in for its long overdue servicing, so figured I'd be without my watch for 6-8 weeks.

Greg
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:30 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by greg99
I've added a Fenix 3HR to my Rolex (the current version is the 5, but I got a good deal on the 3HR (the immediate prior version - there's no 4)). It's now my weekend/workout watch. Big honking thing, but I have large wrists.

It obviously doesn't do all of the cool Apple apps, but it does email/text notifications, has a few basic (mostly timekeeping/fitness) apps, and most importantly, the battery lasts 2 weeks.

I've found the HR sensor to be basically as good as my Polar chest strap (the gold standard), unlike the Apple Watch when I tried it out or my Fitbit Charge 2, where the HR sensor is unusable for anything other than resting HR.

I bought it because I have to take my Rolex in for its long overdue servicing, so figured I'd be without my watch for 6-8 weeks.

Greg
I am on the fence between buying the 3HR and the new 5. Do you find the size to be too much? I have big wrists and could pull off having a 51mm on my wrist, but for work I prefer something a little bit more realistic in size...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Handcake
I am on the fence between buying the 3HR and the new 5. Do you find the size to be too much? I have big wrists and could pull off having a 51mm on my wrist, but for work I prefer something a little bit more realistic in size...
It's big, but I think less ridiculous than some of the monster sized mechanicals, and it looks right to me because of the type of watch it is. It doesn't always fit under my cuffed shirts, however.

I got the 3HR because I could get sapphire with wifi for just over half the price of the 5, and I didn't really care about the more sophisticated metrics. The one thing I will flag, though, is that there is a known altimeter bug on the 3HR, and it doesn't keep its calibration (I can be sitting at my desk and it pops to 20,000m). Garmin swears they're working on a fix, but it has been many months.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by 1holegrouper
For client facing situations I wear my Omega Seamaster 300M. The most accurate mechanical watch I've ever had. For every other situation it is my Polar V800 as I'm an avid runner.
As ugly as it is, I wear my Garmin VivoActive HR... ESPECIALLY in client situations. I'm the field of Management Consulting/Analytics so it is a great conversation starter/icebreaker.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
I wear a Tiffany Atlas watch. It is shiny and lovely.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster
As ugly as it is, I wear my Garmin VivoActive HR... ESPECIALLY in client situations. I'm the field of Management Consulting/Analytics so it is a great conversation starter/icebreaker.
Agreed. I find I get as many comments on my Fenix as I do on my Rolex.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:21 am
Suspended

I wear an Apple Watch. i always wear a smartwatch when I travel because it gives me notifications if the flight is delayed etc. yes you can just pull out your phone but not bothered to pull it out for every notification so would decrease chances of missing the notification.

but IMO, it doesn't look good as my Rolex or the Omega. but recently got the Tag Hauer Connect and I love the design, I'll report back if it's better than the apple watch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.