Wiki Posts
Search

Red Oxx XS Aviator is not so small

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage

I have two set of Samsonite packing cubes (comes in a set of 3) and I discovered if you open the duffel fully, you can easily put the largest one vertically, one to each side. I have seven t-shirts in one of them and a vertical mouse nested in the middle, other clothing in the other. No need to do laundry for a week. Then I slotted the two halves of my Kinesis keyboard between the two clothing cubes. And topped it off with two "cylinders": a Montbell UL jacket and a Tempur Travel neckpillow. If you are pressed by the airline you can even check this 10kg duffle in. Very impressive.

Last edited by chx1975; Jan 9, 2016 at 1:46 am
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by chx1975
I have two set of Samsonite packing cubes (comes in a set of 3) and I discovered if you open the duffel fully, you can easily put the largest one vertically, one to each side. I have seven t-shirts in one of them and a vertical mouse nested in the middle, other clothing in the other. No need to do laundry for a week. Then I slotted the two halves of my Kinesis keyboard between the two clothing cubes. And topped it off with two "cylinders": a Montbell UL jacket and a Tempur Travel neckpillow. If you are pressed by the airline you can even check this 10kg duffle in. Very impressive.
It is easily possible to overpack the XS but snugly packed, it generally meets the definition of a personal item. I've put mine under the seat in frront of me on economy flights. Red Oxx is frequently criticized for not putting a strap on this bag, but I think I understand their strategy--a strap would probably make the cost of this bag at least $80-90. I don't think that price would kill sales of the XS but instead might eat into sales of their other, more expensive bags.

If you're interested in modifications that allow shoulder carry, Google "d ring Red Oxx Aviator" and you should find some helpful hints.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:05 am

D Rings

Most reviews on the XS Aviator don't actually ask for a strap, but rather for the installation of d-rings that would permit the use of a strap if needed/desired. I really don't think it would impact the price by that much. I had them added to one of mine by a cobbler for $ 9.00.

The hierarchy at Red Oxx is disinterested in making the mod (probably becuase it would impact sales on their higher end products). Despite the quality of the Red Oxx line, i have moved to another company that manufactures bags to the customer's specs. Cost is about the same and I get exactly what works for ME !

Red Oxx is now in my rear view mirror.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The XS Aviator is an incredibly versatile bag. You can fold it to a point that it takes up less space than a sweater in your bag, and allows you to fill up with stuff on a trip and check it.

Originally Posted by LiveOak
The hierarchy at Red Oxx is disinterested in making the mod (probably becuase it would impact sales on their higher end products). Despite the quality of the Red Oxx line, i have moved to another company that manufactures bags to the customer's specs. Cost is about the same and I get exactly what works for ME !
Does the company offer the same warranty? Same customer service? Same made in the USA guarantee? Same high wages for its workforce?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
It is easily possible to overpack the XS but snugly packed, it generally meets the definition of a personal item.
That's what the packing cubes are for: neatly keeps the clothes together.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Most reviews on the XS Aviator don't actually ask for a strap, but rather for the installation of d-rings that would permit the use of a strap if needed/desired. I really don't think it would impact the price by that much. I had them added to one of mine by a cobbler for $ 9.00.

Red Oxx is now in my rear view mirror.
You mind sharing the name of the company? I have an idea for a bag that I would like someone to make for me.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:23 pm

The company is MEI. (U.S. domiciled) I find their quality to be comparable to the products coming from Montana, although I am quite certain some of you might not agree. Customer service has been great. In fact, I received a personal call from the owner upon placing an order just to say "thanks" and to review my preferences for how the bag was to be configured. I have no knowledge as to either how well their employees are compensated for their craft or how their wages compare with the wages received by employees at other firms.

About the only weakness I can offer is the company's web presence. Their website is very basic.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The company is MEI. (U.S. domiciled) I find their quality to be comparable to the products coming from Montana, although I am quite certain some of you might not agree. Customer service has been great. In fact, I received a personal call from the owner upon placing an order just to say "thanks" and to review my preferences for how the bag was to be configured. I have no knowledge as to either how well their employees are compensated for their craft or how their wages compare with the wages received by employees at other firms.

About the only weakness I can offer is the company's web presence. Their website is very basic.
I see nothing on MEI's site about where they build their products or what their warranty protection is. Also, their stuff is not exactly cheap. Further, they get mixed reviews for utility, as they really are more packs than true travel gear.

The closest I found is a site other than their main one. It appears that they are made in the US (good), but that they have a weasel word warranty (bad).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:44 pm

I have a brown Mei Voyageur since 2010 and it is still going on strong despite being thrown and kicked around by both myself and airport staff. They still have a Netscape email account so yeah, poor internet presence. Their FB page is also rather odd for a business too, but look through the pictures to get an idea of their customisation.

Only reasons I'm thinking of buying a new one: to add a pocket for a water bottle by the side. And maybe use rip-stop instead of the heavier cordura. I also forgot to ask them to adjust the waist strap to a smaller size when I first bought it, so it fits snuggest at its tightest ONLY when I am wearing a wool coat. Which makes the waist strap useless when I'm wearing anything less.

I've never used the shoulder strap though, because I usually just hide the waist strap if the bag is light and I don't want to have too many things dangling about.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

Thanks. What I am envisioning is something like two RedOxx Aviator bags that are connected by a yoke (so that you could put it like a saddlebag over a checked spinner) and the two bags could be zippled together along the matching edges into one bag for checking. That bag would be 22x11x16 for about 50 total inches.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by N1120A
I see nothing on MEI's site about where they build their products or what their warranty protection is. Also, their stuff is not exactly cheap. Further, they get mixed reviews for utility, as they really are more packs than true travel gear.

The closest I found is a site other than their main one. It appears that they are made in the US (good), but that they have a weasel word warranty (bad).
MEI's online presence is shockingly bad and I can't speak to the warranty. What I can say is buying the the MEI Executive Overnighter was the best luggage purchase I have ever made. I've not used any of my wheeled suitcases since I bought it. I usually carry it on, but i have also checked it with no damage. I don't own any Red Oxx products, but I can say the construction is very rugged and comparable to my Tumi briefcase (which has been indestructible) or my Briggs & Riley computer backpack.

A couple of us on the board have done reviews of the Executive Overnighter with far better pictures than they have on the website.

Matrick - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...omparison.html

LLNave - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...er-review.html

Mine - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...er-review.html

Since I last wrote my review, I have given up on the shoulder strap. The clip design proved too easy to accidentally pop off. That wasn't that big a deal as it turned out it was far easier and more comfortable to carry with either just one or both of the backpack straps, particularly if I was also carrying a briefcase. I've seen others online who replaced the strap with a Tom Bihn Absolute strap, but I haven't pulled the trigger on a second one of those (I replaced my Tumi brief case's strap with the absolute a number of years ago and am a big fan of that strap for heavy loads).
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:47 am
Original Poster

What on earth has the MEI EO, a Skytrain competitor has to do with the XS Aviator which is both much smaller and much cheaper?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
What on earth has the MEI EO, a Skytrain competitor has to do with the XS Aviator which is both much smaller and much cheaper?
No matter the product, the world is full of fanbois. . .
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:49 pm

I looked up the MEI warranty, which was hard to find. It is a "workmanship and materials" warranty. Not unlimited.

Originally Posted by lostinohio
RL]

Since I last wrote my review, I have given up on the shoulder strap. The clip design proved too easy to accidentally pop off. That wasn't that big a deal as it turned out it was far easier and more comfortable to carry with either just one or both of the backpack straps, particularly if I was also carrying a briefcase. I've seen others online who replaced the strap with a Tom Bihn Absolute strap, but I haven't pulled the trigger on a second one of those (I replaced my Tumi brief case's strap with the absolute a number of years ago and am a big fan of that strap for heavy loads).
You gave up on the shoulder strap? I've used both the shoulder and backpack straps, without issue, on my Sky Train - without issue.

It doesn't. It is someone, apparently, trying to attack Red Oxx and puff up MEI.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT

I've done many things to my Red Oxx Aviators of various sizes and have never done one harm. Light stands, equipment with rough edges and lots of set up gear. Car travel obviously! Tripods are known to be rough on bags. No issues with Red Oxx bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.