Rimowa vs Briggs & Riley Carry On?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa vs Briggs & Riley Carry On?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:02 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
http://www.ebags.com/product/briggs-...rlid=DETAIL_AI
Almost never on sale. Really light for the price and VERY roomy

I have the older model, BRX 22x14x9 = 2800 cu in
This is 21x15x10 almost and the capacity is huge - 3150 cu in
Also it is a bit less in height so looks ok
Will get it once the price comes down a bit

Last edited by ffI; Sep 26, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
Originally Posted by N1120A
The scratches you see on Rimowa are a point of pride for most owners. They don't make the bags ugly, and they show you are a real traveler.
I pride myself on the fact that my Rimowa looks like its been dragged through the desert and back. I love the fact that it looks beat up and my policy has always been "i'd rather let the bag take the beating than the stuff inside it." I bought the case to protect my belongings, so I could care less how it looks. I love my Rimowa for checked luggage, but somewhat overkill for carryon. I prefer my tumi.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
http://www.ebags.com/product/briggs-...rlid=DETAIL_AI
Almost never on sale. Really light for the price and VERY roomy

I have the older model, BRX 22x14x9 = 2800 cu in
This is 21x15x10 almost and the capacity is huge - 3150 cu in
Also it is a bit less in height so looks ok
Will get it once the price comes down a bit
I just bought this. Had 20% off at Amazon. Sadly, promotion expired 9/30/15. It's beautiful and just what I need. I have the huge BRX in last years color, sand. Took this last November to Europe. I found out it was just too much on the Tube and Metro when no escalator was available. I should have went with the smaller version.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: www.srflyer.blogspot.com
Originally Posted by mikekelley
I personally think that Rimowas are hideous and gaudy, so recently bought a much more classy and understanded B&R international baseline. So far I love it, I just completed a 42k mile rtw trip over the last 2.5 months and it held up without missing a beat, still looks great, dragged that thing over gravel, dirt, concrete, through airports, through cities, etc. Quite surprised at how well its done. What I like about it is that it expands if necessary, and I never had a problem fitting it into a sizer, only having it weighed...>_<
Hey there, I'm thinking of getting exactly the same BR. May I ask which color you got? The handle is made of suede and if the bag is in olive wouldn't that get dirty real fast?

Black is a standard color but read that it's one of the causes for lost luggage at the airport.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on matching your carry on and your check in luggage?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
My standard road set is a Rimowa Salsa light blue 4-wheels cabin IATA and a B&R computer bag, black, with dual top openings for my 2 laptops and my iPad + Bose QC3 headset.

I would not change anything! I absolutely love my setup as I believe that the Rimowa carry-on may be one of the best piece of luggage ever made, not that B&R and Tumi are not as good.

After 25 years of global travel and over 2 millions miles BIS, I finally found the worthy replacement for the 'real' Hartmann carry-on (the ones from Tennessee) that have served me over the years (I actually still own 3 Hartmann Intensity black, well travelled and beat up which act as spares or checked bags).

To be honest, these bags are really a matter of personal tastes, as my 2 sons are on Tumi and B&R and they swear by them.

You have to take a few trips, especially long trips, to really appreciate the amazing versatility of the Rimowa - those wheels are truly game changers and the compression packing mechanism is ingenious, not to mention that the bag is as solid as anything on the market today.

Last edited by sapguy; Dec 20, 2015 at 7:35 am
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I have not once been charged for Rimowa repairs (I don't care about dents, but wheels, locks, straps, all replaced free usually immediately), and everyone I know think they look great (well except for my mom—she only like the black Stealth one, thinks all the other ones are gawdy, so I got her a set of them). Plus their wheels cannot be beat.

I have many brands big and small, and those Rimowa wheels are the best. I also prefer the half/half hardshell. Makes it harder to overpack.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by alphaod
I have not once been charged for Rimowa repairs (I don't care about dents, but wheels, locks, straps, all replaced free usually immediately), and everyone I know think they look great (well except for my mom—she only like the black Stealth one, thinks all the other ones are gawdy, so I got her a set of them). Plus their wheels cannot be beat.

I have many brands big and small, and those Rimowa wheels are the best. I also prefer the half/half hardshell. Makes it harder to overpack.
+1

The Rimowa is a lot less likely to need a repair in the first place, coming in 4th overall in the number of bags that need a repair in a percentage of bags sold. B&R can have the warranty, but when they aren't in the top 10 for reliability with how many end up needing the repair, why bother.

Would you rather have a warranty, and have the bag fail when you need it. Or just have the bag work? Besides is you have to send the bag in which almost half of the repairs need, the shipping is on your dime! I have had 2 co-workers spend more on shipping with B&R torq bags getting them fixed than they spent on the bags in the first place!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Gold), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sapguy
My standard road set is a Rimowa Salsa light blue 4-wheels cabin IATA and a B&R computer bag, black, with dual top openings for my 2 laptops and my iPad + Bose QC3 headset.
Yes, agreed. However, the odd size of the Salsa is becoming an issue. I don't understand why they can't make standard 22x14x9 carry-ons.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Gold), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Just got a Briggs & Riley Baseline Domestic Carry-On Expandable one. However, there are actually TWO versions of the 22x14x9 product and one is only 21.5" in height making it prefect for any domestic or international flight.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by TheNitai
Yes, agreed. However, the odd size of the Salsa is becoming an issue. I don't understand why they can't make standard 22x14x9 carry-ons.
There is nothing odd about the size of the Rimowa!

Lots of people around the world, myself included, use the Rimowa 'odd' sized Salsa every day without a single issue
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:53 pm

The lock on my Rimowa Salsa was 'destroyed' by the TSA gorillas during their 'inspections' of my underwears and dirty clothes!

So I emailed Rimowa customer service, and they quickly replied, asking me to send a picture of the damaged locks and a picture of the serial number of my Salsa Cabin.

They then proposed:
1. Ship my case to an authorized repair center for a free repair, but I would have to wait for the repair work, plus the transit time for the suitcase

2. They send me replacement locks, with a tool and instructions for me to do the repairs myself

Initially, I was put off by the idea of 'repairing it myself' since I'm not a very handy guy; but then I thought about the hassle of shipping the Salsa & the shipping cost, waiting weeks for it, and all that.

So I told Rimowa customer services to go ahead and send me their 'kit' and let's see what I can do, reasoning that if I fail, then I would simply send the case in.

Final verdict? I removed the damaged lock and replaced it with the lock that Rimowa sent to me in less than 15 minutes, and that's with my Salsa still half full of clothes in it. Very pleased with my effort and happy that the entire affair was somewhat painless ��
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Had a bit similar experience as sapguy:

Have an almost 20 year old Rimowa salsa bag (yeah - looks pretty vintage already, but I like it). Loads of miles on it. One of the handles finally broke.

There's no local repair shop so I emailed Rimowa, asking how I could get it repaired. 2 days after the email to Rimowa the Finnish import company replied to me giving me the option to either send the bag to them or they would send me a replacement.

Chose the latter, the handle was really easy to replace. No charge whatsoever. Was pretty impressed by Rimova support.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 5:20 pm

I agree with this sentiment in general - but suspect it is from someone who does not travel trans-world much and mostly inside one country. When you have long stopovers in international airports across a couple of days you tend to need to get in to your carry-on more often than not.

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Almost everyone I know who uses wheeled luggage has the carry on plus a personal item they piggyback on top. As such, I suspect it is a complete non-issue. When I carry wheeled luggage (rarely), I NEVER have reason to go into it mid-trip.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 5:38 pm

Sounds like a job for: Rimowa's Bolero IATA 55" Cabin Multiwheel aka Bolero 21" Cabin Multiwheel IATA.

Couldn't be happier about buying this one. Heck, I should probably buy a spare before they inevitably get foolish and discontinue it.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by vhrum
I love my Rimowas. As far as the warranty goes, my impression is they will still fix it outside the five years, and that the costs (for a broken wheel or lock, for example) are not so outrageous. $20-$40 for those kinds of repairs is what I was told. And presumably (hopefully) it doesn't happen too often
Yeah, they are actually very reasonable. They will often just do it for the cost of the parts.

Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
I pride myself on the fact that my Rimowa looks like its been dragged through the desert and back. I love the fact that it looks beat up and my policy has always been "i'd rather let the bag take the beating than the stuff inside it." I bought the case to protect my belongings, so I could care less how it looks. I love my Rimowa for checked luggage, but somewhat overkill for carryon. I prefer my tumi.
I don't like Tumi at all. They killed the warranty, the stuff is heavy and not particularly stylish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.