Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa vs Briggs & Riley Carry On?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Rimowa vs Briggs & Riley Carry On?

I am in need of a new carry on to replace my Victorinox - it is a 22" which actually measures 23" with the wheels and as such is too large (millions of miles on that bag before it got size retired)

I am considering the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe or the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Hybrid, or the BR International Baseline wide body Spinner Carryon 21".

Hard or soft is not important to me. I want the most capacity for a size that i can still carry on both domestic and international.

Any opinions on these bags? Something else i should consider? One of the other rimowa models?

A couple questions on sizing:

* both the Rimowa and BR bags are 15"+ wide - with the 14" requirements on UA/AA/Delta, is this a problem? I have heard the Salsa Deluxe fits in the sizers if needed but that the external hardware on the BR makes it too large if actually put in the sizer. What about the Salsa Deluxe Hybrid? I would primarily use the external pockets for docs/ipad so nothing large.

I need the bag this week so will probably order online with overnight shipping as there are no travel stores where i live. Any favorite online retailers?

I will likely go with spinner rimowa vs 2 wheel as i travel often with children and have my hands full and it seems a bit easier to manage - ie can push while pulling my huge checked piece which is an old 2 wheel if needed.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:22 pm

why don't you order both from Amazon and make sure they offer free return shipping? That way you get to try out both but return one when you've thoroughly test packed each. I think they are both nice but Rimowa wins in the looks department. Briggs wins in capacity, however.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I personally think that Rimowas are hideous and gaudy, so recently bought a much more classy and understanded B&R international baseline. So far I love it, I just completed a 42k mile rtw trip over the last 2.5 months and it held up without missing a beat, still looks great, dragged that thing over gravel, dirt, concrete, through airports, through cities, etc. Quite surprised at how well its done. What I like about it is that it expands if necessary, and I never had a problem fitting it into a sizer, only having it weighed...>_<
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
I would never get a hard case carry-on. Side pockets on a soft side are useful for stuffing random things in. I have a Rimowa Topas check-in but chose B&R for my carry-on.

The Salsa Deluxe Hybrid is u-g-l-y. Stay away please.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:24 pm

For as expensive as Rimowa suitcases are, they get pretty terrible reviews on Amazon. Seems like a theme.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'm a huge Rimowa fan and find their customer service to be really good.

B&R clearly has a better warranty, though Rimowa will definitely be very responsive during the 5 year period and generally treats it as a "no matter what." I much prefer the styling and weight of Rimowa, as B&R cases are very heavy and some are not so attractive.

Of course, I'm generally a Red Oxx guy, with Rimowa being what my wife carries and my "splurge."
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by elleana
I would never get a hard case carry-on. Side pockets on a soft side are useful for stuffing random things in. I have a Rimowa Topas check-in but chose B&R for my carry-on.

The Salsa Deluxe Hybrid is u-g-l-y. Stay away please.
Almost everyone I know who uses wheeled luggage has the carry on plus a personal item they piggyback on top. As such, I suspect it is a complete non-issue. When I carry wheeled luggage (rarely), I NEVER have reason to go into it mid-trip.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
I'm a huge Rimowa fan and find their customer service to be really good.

B&R clearly has a better warranty, though Rimowa will definitely be very responsive during the 5 year period and generally treats it as a "no matter what." I much prefer the styling and weight of Rimowa, as B&R cases are very heavy and some are not so attractive.

Of course, I'm generally a Red Oxx guy, with Rimowa being what my wife carries and my "splurge."
I love my Rimowas. As far as the warranty goes, my impression is they will still fix it outside the five years, and that the costs (for a broken wheel or lock, for example) are not so outrageous. $20-$40 for those kinds of repairs is what I was told. And presumably (hopefully) it doesn't happen too often
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jenng
I am in need of a new carry on to replace my Victorinox - it is a 22" which actually measures 23" with the wheels and as such is too large (millions of miles on that bag before it got size retired)

I am considering the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe or the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Hybrid, or the BR International Baseline wide body Spinner Carryon 21".

Hard or soft is not important to me. I want the most capacity for a size that i can still carry on both domestic and international.

Any opinions on these bags? Something else i should consider? One of the other rimowa models?

A couple questions on sizing:

* both the Rimowa and BR bags are 15"+ wide - with the 14" requirements on UA/AA/Delta, is this a problem? I have heard the Salsa Deluxe fits in the sizers if needed but that the external hardware on the BR makes it too large if actually put in the sizer. What about the Salsa Deluxe Hybrid? I would primarily use the external pockets for docs/ipad so nothing large.

I need the bag this week so will probably order online with overnight shipping as there are no travel stores where i live. Any favorite online retailers?

I will likely go with spinner rimowa vs 2 wheel as i travel often with children and have my hands full and it seems a bit easier to manage - ie can push while pulling my huge checked piece which is an old 2 wheel if needed.
Check out Rimowa's new line, not sure of the name but it looks really spiffy.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:54 am

My local, friendly luggage repair shop owner recommends B&R. Good 'nuf in my book.

That said, my little Costco carry-on is still trucking strong after 7 years of being on the road every single week. I wish they'd make them again. My parents' Delsey gear, not so much, which is why I have a good relationship with the local luggage repair shop.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by browns4854
For as expensive as Rimowa suitcases are, they get pretty terrible reviews on Amazon. Seems like a theme.
Rimowa takes a beating but it's a beating that shows. Lots of luxury good buyers don't really appreciate their luxury goods looking like the cat dragged them in, so I expect reviews like that are to be expected.

My much cheaper suitcases take the same or worse beating and don't look like they've been beaten up as badly. That said, my non-Rimowa carry-on bags (including B&R) never get compliments the way my Rimowa gets compliments from people (including airline and hotel check-in desk personnel).
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Rimowa takes a beating but it's a beating that shows. Lots of luxury good buyers don't really appreciate their luxury goods looking like the cat dragged them in, so I expect reviews like that are to be expected.

My much cheaper suitcases take the same or worse beating and don't look like they've been beaten up as badly. That said, my non-Rimowa carry-on bags (including B&R) never get compliments the way my Rimowa gets compliments from people (including airline and hotel check-in desk personnel).
The scratches you see on Rimowa are a point of pride for most owners. They don't make the bags ugly, and they show you are a real traveler.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Rimowa maybe pricey but when you are shopping online the measurements are true - they include the wheels, handles, etc. I have had B&R for years but the handle on the outside of the bag cost you on the sizer and you lose the outside space. Now to add the benefit of the USD being so powerful lately Rimowa becomes more affordable if you can get it in Europe.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by spaceman
Rimowa maybe pricey but when you are shopping online the measurements are true - they include the wheels, handles, etc. I have had B&R for years but the handle on the outside of the bag cost you on the sizer and you lose the outside space. Now to add the benefit of the USD being so powerful lately Rimowa becomes more affordable if you can get it in Europe.
This is a good consideration. Rimowa IATA models very comfortably fit even stingy sizers. Also, Rimowa bags are lighter than B&R, in case you get someone in Europe who wants to weigh.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by elleana
I would never get a hard case carry-on. Side pockets on a soft side are useful for stuffing random things in....The Salsa Deluxe Hybrid is u-g-l-y. Stay away please.
One word for ya: Bolero
http://koffer-trolleys.de/serie/rimowa-bolero/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.