Wiki Posts
Search

Rolling Duffel - LL Bean/Jack Wolfskin or Eagle Creek

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Rolling Duffel - LL Bean/Jack Wolfskin or Eagle Creek

So I really need to get a new carry-on. So far I have been pretty disappointed by what I have looked at versus what I need to replace - a Timbuk2 Checkpoint roller. But I need something more sizer compatible.

I have narrowed down to two choices: The LL Bean Excursion/Jack Wolfskin Railman 40 (both appear to be the same bag); or the Eagle Creek Load Warrior.

This bag would only really be used Domestic US, I don't care much about organization - I just need maximum capacity. Each has strong points and drawbacks. The Excursion has the handle mechanism on the outside of the bag, maximizing internal storage. The Eagle Creek has handles on the top, the ...other top?, and the bottom of the bag. But I dont like the color of the Eagle Creek, and the lack of handles on the excursion bother me.

Considering I can get both for about the same, which would you choose?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'd go with the Railman for a single reason: you could one bag it using the front pocket for your laptop if so you chose/need.

I'm not a fan of the Load Warrior and LL Bean's design that opens to the front vs to the side, as those bags tend to bulge a lot even when only slightly over packed. Nor do I like the zip away handle some Eagle Creek models, such as this, have since it takes a little longer to extend it but I love their "equipment handler" to carry a coat or helmet.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:27 am

The first bag is over the carry on limit. While it may fit in sizers since the sizers are larger than the carry on size limit, I would be wary of anything larger than 22x14x9.

I would also consider this:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/tr...vex&dcolor=116

Or this:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...uctid=10186877
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
I have the Ebags Mother(lode). The biggest problem with that bag is the way the handle mechanism inside takes up far too much internal space. The other problem is that like the Eddie Bauer - it is divided into two compartments, which is not very convenient for my packing. And even worse, the bottom compartment doesn't have straps, so is you do open up the top and live with the margin intrusion, you don't have effective tie down straps.

It is so very frustrating. It seems like there are so many bags out there which are close to be perfect, but they all have one major, unworkable flaw to them!

Wish I knew someone who has actually used the Railman/LL Bean
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
[QUOTE=Cloudship;24129274] I have narrowed down to two choices: The LL Bean Excursion/Jack Wolfskin Railman 40 (both appear to be the same bag); or the Eagle Creek Load Warrior.
QUOTE]

The first two bags are over the carry on size limit of 22" x 14" x 9". The third bag (Eagle Creek) in the "unexpanded" mode, has published dimensions equal to the allowable size limit of 22" x 14" x 9". (I would confirm with tape measure).
If your intended use is as a carry on, realize you may not be able to use it in the "expanded" mode.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I doubt a Jack Wolfskin and an LL Bean product would be the same thing.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:13 am

I just saw this review and thought it looks like it may fit your needs:

http://1bag1world.com/2014/12/gear-r...atter-duffels/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.