Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best International and Domestic Carry On Bag

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Best International and Domestic Carry On Bag

I'm an occasional traveller who is going to be travelling internationally, to europe and asia, for the first time this summer. I need to purchase new luggage that is compliant, sizewise, for carry on domestic travel as well as international. my budget is under $500 and not a big fan of spinners. I would prefer a good warrenty and good quality because I want my luggage to last. What are your recommendations that fit within these criterias? Just how strict are these airlines when it comes to size? Is there any leaway?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

Well airline size and weight restrictions for carry-on vary considerably once you start looking at international travel. Here is a partial list you can look at.
https://www.luggagepros.com/travel/carry-on.shtml

Basically, if you really want to be able to go carry-on anywhere, you need to be down to 11 lbs. and that is what stops most people moreso than the dimensions.

Many airlines allow NO leeway whatsover.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by twinkiehan
I'm an occasional traveller who is going to be travelling internationally, to europe and asia, for the first time this summer. I need to purchase new luggage that is compliant, sizewise, for carry on domestic travel as well as international. my budget is under $500 and not a big fan of spinners. I would prefer a good warrenty and good quality because I want my luggage to last. What are your recommendations that fit within these criterias? Just how strict are these airlines when it comes to size? Is there any leaway?
There is very little leeway when it comes to size and not all aircraft are alike. Either your bag fits in the overhead or it doesn't. While there are weight limits ranging between 8kg (17.62lbs) to 10kg. (22.lbs.) depending on the airline these are not enforced as vigourously although it sometimes happens.

Do you want a rolling bag or one you carry? Rolling bags can easily exceed the weight limit. My Briggs and Riley 19" U1119CX requires some planning to stay under 10kgs. but because it is smaller than most rollers it has never been challenged. I also have an Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender that is very light and easily makes the weight limit but it must be carried and when filled to capacity can expand so it doesn't fit into the sizer easily.

I haven't quite found the perfect solution yet.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a B&R BU120XW, absolutely love it. The Briggs & Riley Baseline series is great as well, and they have the best warranty in the business.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

I was looking at the B&R BU120XW bag and the dimensions scared me off. Its width and depth are larger than domestic carry on limits at 9.75" and 15.5". I don't want to spend $300+ for a bag just to not be able to use it down the road when domestic airlines start getting stricter about their size restrictions. I just want to be prepared and be able to have one bag with multiple purposes, domestic and international travel. Preferably a carry on luggage with two wheels. Not a big fan of spinners.

I think to be safe on majority of major domestic and international airlines, the dimension of you bag needs to be less than 21.5" x 14" x 8". Am I wrong in that assumption?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:57 am
Suspended

I think to be safe on majority of major domestic and international airlines, the dimension of you bag needs to be less than 21.5" x 14" x 8". Am I wrong in that assumption?
If you stay around those numbers I suspect you'll be fine on anything but the smaller regional jets. The outside dimensions of my B&R U119CX are 19"x14"x8.8" and it's never been a problem. In fact, compared to some of the monster carry-ons I see around me, mine looks almost diminutive.

If you want absolute insurance then I would suggest staying under the "personal item" limit which is usually 36" linear inches total. Check with the airline for the exact figures because they can vary. UA numbers are 9" x 10" x 17" while Air Canada sets 6" x 13" x 17" for personal items. Even on the very smallest of planes I've never had my personal item refused and you might be surprised just how much you can get into a bag that small.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:56 am

I went through this exact same exercise while traveling to the exact same countries just a few months ago. After doing months of research including getting great advice from members of the site, there was only one conclusion to come to:

You want the Briggs and Riley U122CX Baseline 22" Domestic Upright which is the best combination of size, weight, utility, design, quality, and warranty.

As far as fitment, this bag is the exact same size down to the millimeter of a no-name bag that I used for over 10 years on every imaginable airline and aircraft worldwide and never once had an issue. Photos were recently posted of this rolling carry-on fitting comfortably in the United sizer and I myself while stuck in a terminal for several hours last month tested it in the sizer's for Delta, US Air, and American with absolutely no issues. I used it last week with no issues in the slim 757 overhead bins on Icelandair, and later this month I will use it on Cathay Pacific 777's to and from Hong Kong.

To me, I want as much packable space as possible so I would not go down to a 19" bag. Especially if traveling for 7-10 days internationally, you need that extra room if you're going to pack multiple pants, shirts, shoes, adapters, etc. The last thing I will say is that there is no process for weighing and sizing every bag at every gate at every airport in the world. It boils down to subjectivity, and the Briggs & Riley 22" carey on is designed in such a fashion that it looks a lot slimmer and sleeker than it truly is. Mainly because of the exterior handle, the "box" of the suitcase if you will looks small and sleek. I almost bought the Tumi 22" but because their handle is inside the bag the overall "box" of the bag looks a lot bigger and thus would raise suspicion in a potential gate agent scenario.

Like I said, I've done months of research on this subject and now have some very good first-hand experience and have to tell you that the bag you want is the B&R U122CX Baseline. It's awesome.

BJ
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
If you want wheels B&R U122. It is your best bet, quality, Warantee, size, and value.

If you are going without wheels. Red Ox Tom Bhin

Maps
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:42 am
Suspended

You really do have to decide whether you want to be able to go carry-on on ANY international airline that allows carry-on, or not. NONE of the responses above will meet that criteria except badenoch's last suggestion.

To meet ALL international restrictions for carry-on you need to be at 4kg or 5kg to meet 99% of all international restrictions. The restrictions for US domestic airlines are far easier to meet.

Alitalia for example has carry-on limits of 18x14x10" and 11 lbs. So I'll tell you again, it isn't just size that matters, it is weight that stops most people on international flights. So, simply put twinkiehan are you prepared to meet that 11 lbs. limit or not? If not, there's no point asking about dimensions.

In terms of size alone, the smallest dimensions I've seen for each dimension are 18 (example Alitalia) X 13 (example Virgin Blue) x 8 (example Lufthansa).
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
You really do have to decide whether you want to be able to go carry-on on ANY international airline that allows carry-on, or not. NONE of the responses above will meet that criteria except badenoch's last suggestion.

To meet ALL international restrictions for carry-on you need to be at 4kg or 5kg to meet 99% of all international restrictions. The restrictions for US domestic airlines are far easier to meet.

Point taken, but for the sake of this discussion [what is the best single bag for BOTH domestic and international] let's let the weight go. Reason being that if we determine which bag has the best dimensions to suit both domestic and international, each flyer can make his own decision to reduce weight by reducing the amount of articles in the bag.

So in that context, weight being the variable up to each of us to control....in your opinion, what is the best bag with dimensions suited to fit in the overhead bins of both international and domestic flights wheels-in while still providing as much capacity as possible?

From my chair, it's the Briggs & Riley U122CX. It has already proven to fit in all the nasty domestic sizers (US Air, United, Delta, American, Southwest, AirTran, JetBlue) and meets the 22"x14"x9" or 45" requirement of several international carriers (United, Delta, American, Air Canada, Cathay Pacific, Alitalia, Air China, Air France, etc.) Note, we know that there are a handful of stray carriers that use smaller dims and we are not discussing regional jets which require planeside checking; we're talking about a single bag that would work on, what, 95% of all domestic and international flights in Boeing and Airbus full-sized aircraft.

What say you?

BJ

Last edited by boltjames; Apr 9, 2014 at 12:36 pm
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Alitalia for example has carry-on limits of 18x14x10" and 11 lbs.
Where are you getting those numbers for Alitalia?

Their website says differently. 8kgs. = 17.6lbs. The dimensions are slightly different as well.

SIZE AND WEIGHT

The hand baggage you bring on board with you may weigh no more than 8 kg and measure no more than 55 cm in height, 35 cm in width and 25 cm in depth – including handles, side pockets and wheels.

http://www.alitalia.com/ca_en/Inform...gli/index.html

Last edited by Badenoch; Apr 9, 2014 at 4:15 pm
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Badenoch, I got the restrictions from this list: http://boardingarea.com/flyingwithfi...orld-airlines/

Even if they have got it wrong for Alitalia, there are other airlines with limits of 15/13/11 lbs.

Boltjames, it doesn't really matter to me what way you want to define it but if someone says 'international' then I take it to mean 99% and not a number that fits a specific set of criteria you want to pre-determine. That would be a different question altogether.

'How many international airlines will my dimensions of 45" total?'

I don't see it as worthwhile to do that though. As I wrote above, EACH of the THREE dimensions vary by airline, not just a total like 45". So if you want to ignore weight for the moment and say what size the bag needs to be then I would say it needs to be no more than 18x13x8 which are the smallest of each of the 3 dimensions I've seen listed. Who makes a bag that size? I don't know, I don't travel with a 'normal' carry-on like one by B&R or anyone else.

I travel only for pleasure these days and I almost invariably do some hiking when I go anywhere. For that reason I travel with a 29L backpack and never more than 5kg. in it whether for 3 days or 3 months. I easily meet all airline carry-on restrictions for size and weight. What stops me is contents which hasn't even been discussed here.

You can't really say let's ignore weight. In fact it is what stops most people. Contents can also stop you if like me you never travel without a Swiss Army knife for example. Just ain't no way to carry that on board. So even though I have a small, light pack, I have to check my pack every time.

The point I am trying to make to the OP is that you have to consider ALL the restrictions. If any ONE stops you that could well change your mind about how to decide. If you can't meet the weight or contents restricitions anyway, why worry about the dimensions. You're gonna have to check the bag anyway.

I hope I've made what I am saying clear.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:09 am
Suspended

Badenoch, I got the restrictions from this list: http://boardingarea.com/flyingwithfi...orld-airlines/

Even if they have got it wrong for Alitalia, there are other airlines with limits of 15/13/11 lbs.
The list you are touting as justification to pack light is also wrong about Malaysia. The only 5kg./11lbs. limits I could find were at TAM and Aeroflot flights to Cancun. The rest are higher, many with a limit double your suggestions.

Furthermore if you are taking connecting flights between airlines or booked a code share you will not be required to check your bag if the limits are lower on the second/actual carrier. Lufthansa will not make you check your 10kg. carry-on for a connecting flight in Europe if your original flight was on Air Canada where the limits are higher.

I don't disagree with packing light but it is ridiculous to say people should always stay under 10lbs. limit because of one airline based in Brazil or unless you are taking Aeroflot to Cancun. It is better to check with the airline that you are flying and pack accordingly.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The list you are touting as justification to pack light is also wrong about Malaysia. The only 5kg./11lbs. limits I could find were at TAM and Aeroflot flights to Cancun. The rest are higher, many with a limit double your suggestions.

Furthermore if you are taking connecting flights between airlines or booked a code share you will not be required to check your bag if the limits are lower on the second/actual carrier. Lufthansa will not make you check your 10kg. carry-on for a connecting flight in Europe if your original flight was on Air Canada where the limits are higher.

I don't disagree with packing light but it is ridiculous to say people should always stay under 10lbs. limit because of one airline based in Brazil or unless you are taking Aeroflot to Cancun. It is better to check with the airline that you are flying and pack accordingly.

I am trying to estimate the probability of my ever flying Aeroflot to Cancun.....

But back to the topic. I really prefer to go with a bit lower than maximum size as others have noted above. That brings me to either the 19 inch Briggs & Riley Baseline or the 19 inch Briggs & Riley Expedition series, which is lighter empty. If you can pack really efficiently you can go even smaller with the BRU116 rolling cabin bag.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Badenoch, do not assume that everyone travels in the same way. What would you suggest someone does who is starting out on a year of travel around the world with nothing planned beyond the first stop and want to go carry-on only?

I have in fact travelled in that way several times with no plan beyond A and no real time limit. Not everyone is a business traveller who comes back home next week. The OP asked about international travel. I travel internationally and can assure you that it isn't always with major airlines. There are plenty of small airlines who have far more stringent limits than you may be used to encountering.

Try this one for example with a carry-on limit of 3kg/6.6lbs. and dimensions of 17x13x7
https://www.airtahiti.com/carryon-baggage
That is ALL you are allowed to carry-on period. One piece, no extra laptop bag or handbag or anything else.

This forum may well be US-centric in thinking for the majority of those who post and most may be used to thinking in terms of one short trip but it sure ain't for me bubba. I once left home thinking of a summer in Europe and was gone for 7 years. I don't think I have any problem understanding what to do if you REALLY want to TRAVEL internationally. Any yes, I left on that trip with around 7kg/15lbs. total weight.

I didn't say everyone should pack under 5kg. What in fact I wrote was, "You really do have to decide whether you want to be able to go carry-on on ANY international airline that allows carry-on, or not." Clealy, YOU personally Badenoch don't plan on being able to go carry-on on ANY international airline that allows carry-on. If you did, you would realize why you need to get down to around 5kg just to meet MOST limits. MAYBE the OP does intend to travel without first being able to check each airline he will fly with however. Or MAYBE someone else that reads the thread does.

Business commuters aren't really of interest to me nor are those who go on a 2 week beach holiday in Cancun. The OP wrote, "who is going to be travelling internationally, to europe and asia, for the first time this summer."

Now he may have meant for one week at a time business trips or he may have meant for the entire summer. I don't know, neither do you. But I asked twice whether he REALLY wanted to be able to meet carry-on restrictions or not. The first time I asked, the OP did not respond to the question. Since I asked the second time, the OP has not responded again at all.

GadgetFreak, I don't intend to fly Aeroflot to Cancun either. I have flown Air Tahiti however. Have you?

You guys need to get out more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.