Search

Medium Sized Checked Bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Medium Sized Checked Bag

Hi All,

Looking for a med sized checked bag. have the following in mind. which would you go with or what other would you recommend? I'm not a frequent checker of luggage and I do not want a spinner. I seem to be a bit partial to Delsey and Travel Pro. added an high sierra now

http://www.ebags.com/product/delsey/...uctid=10186664

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelp...uctid=10152029

http://www.ebags.com/product/high-si...uctid=10002188

Last edited by theshaun; Mar 1, 2014 at 5:31 pm
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:38 pm

We're a little more hardcore here, the luggage you posted links to are in the $70-$125 range which is at the low-end. Some great value there, but its not something that most of us own or can comment on. If you're looking for something a bit more solid (and expensive) many options come to mind.

From a form factor standpoint you're on the right track as a two-wheeler at 25" is very good for the next-step over a 22" rolling carry on which I'm sure you already own. I can get two weeks solid out of a 25", it's the size I use all the time for international trips to Asia, Europe, etc.

BJ
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
eBags TLS series will be good at that price range.

I have and love the Mother Lode Jr, and there are other fans here as well.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boltjames
We're a little more hardcore here, the luggage you posted links to are in the $70-$125 range which is at the low-end. Some great value there, but its not something that most of us own or can comment on. If you're looking for something a bit more solid (and expensive) many options come to mind.

From a form factor standpoint you're on the right track as a two-wheeler at 25" is very good for the next-step over a 22" rolling carry on which I'm sure you already own. I can get two weeks solid out of a 25", it's the size I use all the time for international trips to Asia, Europe, etc.

BJ
thanks. I'm not willing to go much over $150 on this bag. it will see very little action compared to my carry on
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by theshaun
thanks. I'm not willing to go much over $150 on this bag. it will see very little action compared to my carry on
Understand completely.

However, if you only use a 25" maybe 2x a year that also means it will see very little wear-and-tear compared to your carry on thus it will last maybe 3x longer. So if you burn through carry on's every 5 years, your checked back will last you 15 so spending another $200 to get a best-in-class experience actually makes the checked bag less expensive compared to the rolling carry on.

That's the way I look at it, so I hold my checked bag to the same standard as the carry on bag as far as features, durability, etc. Costs me more up front, lasts 10 years longer, in the end its not a big financial difference on a per year basis. Additionally, if I'm taking a trip requiring a checked bag that means it's a more important trip, tends to mean I'm spending more time living with the bag. So I don't want a cheaper experience compared to a carry on trip, I want a better experience.

BJ
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:21 am

I also understand this, although at the same time, my cheap Skyway checked bag broke the second time I used it! I ended up getting a great deal on an eagle creek bag from the REI outlet.

I don't have personal experience with any of these bags, but I would worry about the weight.

At 11 pounds, the TravelPro seems very heavy. I can easily fill a suitcase of that size with 39 lbs worth of things and would risk being overweight every time I use it.

I have also heard good things about ll bean duffles, which might work depending on what you pack.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:33 pm

these guys make the Costco bags. You can understand how sturdy you have to make your bags to do business with Costco (because of the return rate)

on firesale....... at $89.

http://www.ricardobeverlyhills.com/B...able%20Upright

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.