Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini Electric Kettle

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Mini Electric Kettle

Looking for an electric kettle small enough to pack for tea, etc. in European hotel rooms where nothing is provided. Eithr that or an immersion element that is reliable. Anyone know of something good and where to get it?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Looking for an electric kettle small enough to pack for tea, etc. in European hotel rooms where nothing is provided. Eithr that or an immersion element that is reliable. Anyone know of something good and where to get it?
I don't have an answer but think it would be more appropriate to post this in the Travel Products forum, as it's not specific to women travelers.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
I don't know where you are based, but if you're in North America and traveling to Europe, I'd wait to buy it there because of the difference in electrical current and outlets. When I needed a nightlight for my son on a European trip, I hit a high street shop and bought one suited to local system for about $2 and didn't have to worry about adaptors. It shouldn't be too hard to find something once you cross the pond.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:31 pm

Please follow this in the Travel Products forum.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:22 pm

Programs: SWA rapid rewards, AAdvantage
From the research I did before I bought an immersion heater, they are often reported as being unreliable or short lived because they are now made to shutoff permanently if they are ever removed from the liquid before being unplugged.
This safety feature is easily forgotten, and it would be very annoying to render your purchase useless in the middle of a trip. I have thought about how to make a reliable reminder for myself, but all I have come up with is attaching a warning tag to the cord quite close to the heating element.
I think this will work for me, and they take up so much less space in luggage than anything else. I plan to pack it with a stainless steel travel mug, and avoid worries about the cleanliness of coffee makers in hotel rooms. I also bought a Finum filter to make coffee, based on FT recommendations, which has been great to use at home, too.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes to the above as that is exactly what I do and have done for a long time. Works.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
This thing is a little more than a kettle but I found that it has been helpful if you want to actually make something substantial. I usually only bring along on longer trips and use it for water 75% of the time. However, it has come in useful for oatmeal/porridge on those mornings when the buffet breakfast looks just too deja vu.

The fundamental design has not changed for at least 15-20 years. It is made by Sanyo and packs into about a 4 by 4 by 2 inch area. (Size of the pot.)

http://www.overseas.sanyo.com/produc...s/rn_38nf.html
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:06 pm

Try an Asian grocery store if there are any near you. I have a small water kettle made of stainless steel which takes dual voltage purchased at such a shop, usually where they carry rice cookers and the like. Haven't seen it anywhere else, including "travel coffee" threads or specialty travel shops.

I take a thermos instead of a stainless steel cup. Always simple enough to order a large tea and pour excess hot water in there.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:09 pm

Travel Kettle

I picked mine up at Amazon for $59.94. Its called the "European Travel Water Heater" (ASIN: B000BKET1K). Its both 110 and 220.

I just used it on a 3 week trip to Asia for tea and soup mixes. While many hotels provide an in-room kettle, I don't trust the sanitary conditions and feel much better using my own.

This one is expensive, but it works great, is lightweight and easy to pack and fast boil time.

Prior to this I tired one of the Immersion Heaters. Junk.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: book
What ya think about this Aroma AWK-115S 1.5-Liter Cordless Stainless Steel Water Kettle? Is it nice stuff to go with?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold
Kenwood Duo

I bought this kettle in Belgium. Ever since I am trying to purchase another one in US but could not find one. It looks like this is only available in Europe. Like OP, I searched a kettle comes with: small, free voltage, and most importantly need one without heating element exposed. The boiling time is rather slow in 110V but it is less than 1.5 lbs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-JK06...154536-7030956

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.