Wiki Posts
Search

Travel With Puppies

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DSM, USDM, BAEC, AAAdvan
Travel With Puppies

I will be flying back to TPA from CAE on Labor Day. I'm planning on bringing 2 12 week old lab puppies (sisters) back with me. I've got a carry on pet carrier they can both fit in, and the carrier is airline approved.

I have also checked the Delta website, and it looks like the only problem may be the fact that we are on an ASA flight from CAE to ATL. Per Delta's website, only one pet per person is allowed on the Delta Connection flights.

Does anyone know how strict they are about enforcement of this 1 pet rule on non-Delta planes?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL PM
I would call the airline on this one. Dogs are my business (I work for AKC) and I just flew with a puppy last weekend. I do find it difficult to fathom two Lab pups of the age you say fitting in one underseat carrier. I traveled with a 10 wk old mini dachshund pup and have flown with adult miniature dachshunds several times but never with more than one at a time.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

The puppies are not all that big. Their parents are not big heavy weight labs, (dad weighs 65 - medium sized and mom weighs 50 - small sized).

I will find out for sure if I will be bringing them back the Saturday before Labor Day when I see how they tolerate the carrier and find out if I can get on a real Delta bird out of CAE that doesn't have the 1 pet per person restriction.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
You have to call ahead to bring a pet on. The rules are ambiguous on that, in one place they say:

You may not carry on more than one pet.

And another:

Exception: Two pets of the same type may be allowed in one kennel, for example two dogs or two cats. They must be small enough to fit in one kennel provided they are compatible and must be of the same species and size, and they must meet the requirements of acceptance. They will be charged as one pet.

And yet another:

Also, Delta limits the number of pets per flight, but only one per passenger, to

Class Number of Pets Allowed
First Class 2
BusinessElite® 2
Main Cabin 4

I take that to mean that you can put 2 in one carrier, but you have to be travelling with another person. But who knows? I haven't had very good luck lately in getting consistant information out of DL agents.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I also seriously doubt that two 3 month old Labrador puppies can fit is one authorized carryon bag as they could be between 15-20 pounds each! @:-)
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:33 am
fpm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
www.flypets.com

Do yourselves, your pets, and fellow travelers a favor and use the company above (or similar).

Do you trust Delta (or ASA) will follow the same policy the entire trip? What will you do in ATL when the ASA GA denies boarding?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am moving this thread over to the Travel with Pets forum for further discussion.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

What will you do in ATL when the ASA GA denies boarding?
Not part of the equation. I WILL NOT be on an ASA bird from ATL to TPA. That's the CAE to ATL segment if I cannot switch to Delta metal.

As for Pet Air, if they're so great, why aren't they up front about the cost? They seem to be hiding something. Who's doing the actual movement of the pets (Fed Ex? UPS? Delta Dash?). If that's the case, then why not deal directly with them and cut out the middleman?

Last edited by ExitRowOrElse; Aug 24, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.