Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

British Virgin Islands with my Dog

Old Jul 9, 2008, 5:45 am
Original Poster

We are renting a house in Tortola and want to bring our one year old dog. We will transit St. Thomas before entering the BVI. I understand I will need to have a government vet examine her when we arrive in Tortola. Has anyone had any experience going through this procedure or taking their pet to the Caribbean in general?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:11 pm

We live in the Bahamas with our two pugs. When we bring our pugs back into the Bahamas from traveling in the US or Canada, we have to have a animal import permit (which we get from the agricultural department). When we go through customs, we are asked to present the permit (which they keep) and they send us on our way. It does state on the permit that we must also present the dog for an examination by a Bahamian Vet within 48 hours of arrival. We have never done this before, and they have never made us show proof that we did take her to a vet. I'm not sure how strict they are in BVI, but I thought I would share our experiences. Good Luck!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:37 am

Hi Speedbird,
I have two dogs I am making arrangements for. We fly into San Juan then Tortola. What an ordeal!I have called customs in Tortola at least 10 times and the airlines at least that many. We are going Aug 19, will you be there before that? I would love to know your experience when you get to Tortola. I think that when I get the Titer test results I have my vet fill out the int.health then I have to pay again for the Federal vet to sign off on it. Once I get that I fax it all to Tortola and they issue the permit if my dogs are not rabid. The poor woman I keep pestering at customs just told me the vet there will meet me at the airport to examine the dogs. I hope its as laid back as the last time I flew in.
Its crazy that Sunshine air requires you have an international health certificate not older than one week. I swear the vets are in on this scam.
What airlines are you flying with? We are putting the dogs on QuickPak Petsafe w/ Cont. then Air Sunshine and Cape Air. We have a pug and bordercollie. Cape air is only $10 to fly the pug but the kennel for the border is too big so Air Sunshine will do it for a mere $250. Quick pak should be $250 and $300. Yes thats all one way.

I wonder what how the pugs fly to the states- cargo or cabin...
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Hollomon,

Can you report on your experience? I am not going until December? Also, how was your re-entry into the U.S.?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:50 am
Original Poster

I am bringing this forward and had cancelled my trip. Now it is back on for February and I am wondering if anyone has experience bringing their pet into the BVI.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:56 pm

Need to take my dog to the British Virgin Islands and need help/info... please :)

I have just landed a job as a Scuba Instructor/Dive Boat Pilot in the BVI and I want to take my dog.

I will be going down there in late October 2010.

Any information that you (anyone) can provide me to help me get her down there with everything in order, etc would be greatly appreciated!

Please tell me anything you know; steps to take, costs, any quarantine?

Thanks,

~Dan
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:27 pm

Answer to bringing my dog to the British Virgin Islands...

I called Dr. Montrose (BVI Vetrinarian) and he told me what I needed to do in order to bring my dog to the BVI.

Besides having all of her normal immunizations up to date she also needs a "Rabies Antibody Titer Test" done.

That test only takes about 3 or 4 weeks to get completed and costs aproximately $200 will all said and done.

There are a few other forms, etc to do but then she can come with me with an entrance fee of $10 when I get there.

To get all the specifics yourself you can contact Dr. Montrose at: [email protected]

Good luck everyone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.