Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Fixing a rf car seat in aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fixing a rf car seat in aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: United Plus
No, that F/A was in the wrong. You are allowed to install a car seat rear-facing as long as your child is in the limits. Contact United and let them know because this is a FAA violation. I'm not sure what the blanket was supposed to do. She's misinformed. Let us know what United writes back.

Did you try lifting the armrests of the Y seat? Usually that works for the bigger seats in those seats.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Angry United FA Made Us Turn Seat Around Mid-Flight

Sorry for the length, but we're pretty steamed.

Our son is 17 mos, but we keep him rear-facing in the car per current safety guidelines. Car seat is a Britax convertible than can go forward forward or rear. This was our first time flying with him using a car seat. He's a cheerful but squirmy little fellow and the extra cost of the seat was worth it compared to holding him in our laps cross-country.

First flight: 737 PDX-DEN. Installed his seat forward facing. He woke up halfway through the flight and started kicking, kicking, kicking the seat in front of him. Had to hold his feet to prevent that until he calmed down.

Second flight: 737 DEN-PHL. Asked FA if we could install rear-facing. No problem with that, she said whatever we feel is best. Flight went great...rear-facing was definitely an improvement.

Third flight: CRJ-700 PHL-ORD operated by GoJet d/b/a United Express. Gate agent pulled us out of line to inspect car seat to see if FAA compliant. It was. We asked gate agent if OK to install rear-facing on this plane, and she nodded approval. Upon boarding plane we did not come into contact with any FA so we simply went ahead and installed it rear-facing. It fit just fine. FA's went through the aisle multiple times doing pre-departure check of seatbelts, etc. They made no comments. Son falls asleep during taxiing.

15 minutes after lift-off, the lead FA comes to us and says that it was "illegal" (her word) to have a car seat rear-facing on this particular aircraft. She said that as soon as the captain turned off the seat-belt sign, we would have to remove our son and turn the seat around to face forward. We pointed out that he was sound asleep, that the car seat fit into the allotted space, that the gate agent implied we could install it rear-facing, and that neither she nor the other FA had said anything about that before lift-off despite making repeated trips up and down the aisle.

FA did apologize for not "catching this" before lift-off, but said she was not responsible for anything the gate agent said, and FA went on to say that she was not going to risk "losing her license" by allowing us to have an "illegally" installed car seat on her flight. At this point we were not very happy but I informed my wife that the FA had the power to summon LEO's to meet us at the gate in ORD so we had better comply. Never mind the fact that turning the car seat around meant removing our son from the safety of his car seat. At least the FA permitted us to wait until the seat belt sign was off. And thank goodness, our little fellow woke up for the switcheroo but fell right back asleep.

Fourth flight: 737 ORD-PDX. Ask the person who appeared to be lead FA if we could install rear-facing. She was yes, that was allowed. No further issues.

So...big question...was the FA on the CRJ-700 correct when she said it was illegal to install the seat rear-facing on that particular aircraft? I have been unable to find any aircraft-specific regulations about installing rear versus forward. United's website also does not address the issue. I think the FA was full of it. Nevertheless, we will be complaining to United.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:32 pm
B1

Canadian solution

While we have a Britax Boulevard for the car, we have another for air travel that is lighter and narrower so a lot of the issues about fitting seats are overcome (it is 17 inches wide). The US version is noted on several threads as the Cosco Scenera. That model is not sold in Canada and is not authorized by Transport Canada but probably would be if anybody sold it. Instead, Dorel, which markets the Cosco brand, sells the Scenera under their Safety First brand at Walmart. It is very cheap and easy to use with excellent instructions. It is convertible from forward to rear facing with a hinged base and uses LATCH connectors or any type of seatbelt. The price regularly goes between $65 and $90.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad

So...big question...was the FA on the CRJ-700 correct when she said it was illegal to install the seat rear-facing on that particular aircraft? I have been unable to find any aircraft-specific regulations about installing rear versus forward. United's website also does not address the issue. I think the FA was full of it. Nevertheless, we will be complaining to United.
She was incorrect. I would see if it is possible to file a complaint with the FAA as well. Eclipsepearl would be more helpful in that department.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.