Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kid/age cutoff in F on DL...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DIA; SWA CompPass ; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold; National Exec. Elite
Kid/age cutoff in F on DL...

Sat next to/in front of/behind enough kids in F to make me wonder what the hell was the point of being upgraded, with the screaming, kicking, jostling and whining.

Doesn't DL have a age cutoff for F (ie, nothing below 10, or 11?)...

If I wanted to travel surrounded by rugrats, I'd still be flying SW.

I won't even get into the incredibly obnoxious teenagers in the two seats across the way... They actually said "yo, get back there" to people boarding...
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
this should be in the dl or another forum....i will alert a mod to consider moving this....please don't repost....
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by shs.ru97
Sat next to/in front of/behind enough kids in F to make me wonder what the hell was the point of being upgraded, with the screaming, kicking, jostling and whining.

I won't even get into the incredibly obnoxious teenagers in the two seats across the way... They actually said "yo, get back there" to people boarding...
Maybe the kids were on a paid ticket and don't enjoy sitting next to cranky old people?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
what the hell was the point of being upgraded, with the screaming, kicking, jostling and whining.
The parents, the kids, the crew, or you?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Maybe the kids travelling on paid F don't want to sit next to the elderly freeloader UG's !

The customer is always right, so you certainly should have asked to be reassigned to Y if it didn't look the way you wanted it.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe the kids travelling on paid F don't want to sit next to the elderly freeloader UG's !

The customer is always right, so you certainly should have asked to be reassigned to Y if it didn't look the way you wanted it.
I've only got a little over 600,000 miles in the seat on Delta, but does any airline have a age limit? Some time on CO, and AA but not aware of any differences. If you pay you can fly any class including F.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Delta has no age restriction on First class. The main problem I have is when there is an infant in first and the infant is flying as a lapheld infant for NO CHARGE and I am on a paid F ticket (I had that happen this summer when I was paying to be up front DTW/SFO, mainly because I knew it was a hard upgrade and I wanted to sleep and even my Bose headphones didn't help for almost an hour). Luckilly on that trip I wasn't driving when I laned and they had plenty of free vodka on board to help knock me out

If the kids were out of their seats running around I would have complained to the FA.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: 2015 kettle
I pay for my tickets and if I want to bring my child or infant along in F, I can. Why does anyone have a problem with this stuff? It is so pathetic. Like the other guy said, if it bothers you so much, charter a plane.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Delta has no age restriction on First class. The main problem I have is when there is an infant in first and the infant is flying as a lapheld infant for NO CHARGE and I am on a paid F ticket (I had that happen this summer when I was paying to be up front DTW/SFO, mainly because I knew it was a hard upgrade and I wanted to sleep and even my Bose headphones didn't help for almost an hour). Luckilly on that trip I wasn't driving when I laned and they had plenty of free vodka on board to help knock me out

If the kids were out of their seats running around I would have complained to the FA.
A couple of thoughts:

1. If you were a "lap adult" then it would be appropriate for you to fly F for NO CHARGE (I'm just repeating your use of all caps).

2. Since the lap infant was a lap infant, I'm sure this is one possible explanation why it wasn't running around...

Next time, if a few young people are really ruining your freebie that much, you might consider flying private...

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
I've only got a little over 600,000 miles in the seat on Delta, but does any airline have a age limit? Some time on CO, and AA but not aware of any differences. If you pay you can fly any class including F.
Malaysia Airlines bans infants from its long-haul first class, and I have heard that both BA and VA are considering some flights kid-free in the premium classes...

Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
I pay for my tickets and if I want to bring my child or infant along in F, I can. Why does anyone have a problem with this stuff? It is so pathetic. Like the other guy said, if it bothers you so much, charter a plane.
On my last flight in F (paid) there were three kids, all of whom made zero ruckus the entire flight.

There was, however, a male in his 50's who was drinking way too much, talking loudly the entire flight (using a lot of vulgar language), and acting abusively toward the f/a's.

From this experience, should we perhaps conclude that all adults need to be banned from traveling in the FC cabin?

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 26, 2011 at 12:08 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
+1
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I was on a flight recently where there was an "infant in arms" in F who had to be almost 2 years old (and looked older) with her slightly older sister along with either their mother or nanny. The younger one was a complete and total brat. She screamed, yelled and cried the entire time while fighting with her sister. She was even screaming at her sister while we were about to land because her sister wouldn't let her unbuckle her seat belt. The little brat was standing up in front of her sisters seat while this was going on. Mom/nanny didn't do anything to discipline or even try to stop the little hellion.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:38 am

Here you are:

http://www.netjets.com/

It might cost you a bit more than your upgraded fare, but you can fly by yourself so no one bothers you.

Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

Why do you have a problem with this? They're not taking up a seat and their parent(s) are in F either because they paid or were UGed just like anyone else. And if the infant is on an international routing he paid even though he's not taking up a seat. Over Thanksgiving I paid for 3 upgradeable M fares on a TPAC plus an infant J ticket which was $900 even though he didn't take up a seat. No way DL is going to sacrifice that revenue, nor should they just because some people are bothered by children.

I can agree though that there are many parents who don't know how to keep their kids under control and end up being inconsiderate to others. That's the parents' fault, not the kids'.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're obviously not a very frequent flyer, or you'd know that the purpose of upgrading is to get a bigger seat, more legroom and free booze. If you were a frequent flyer, you'd also be aware that no domestic airline bans kids from F.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Bad behavior has no age limits.

And there's very little about domestic F (on any airline) that is really first class. It's basically upgrade class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.