Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Hotel with 2 Year Old?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Paris Hotel with 2 Year Old?

In a few weeks I'll be travelling to Paris with my wife and our 2 year old daughter and I'm looking for a 'family friendly' hotel. We'll be arriving / departing at Gare du Nord on the Eurostar, so it would be convenient if we stayed nearby. We're not looking for five star - Just something clean and functional.

Anyone have any favourites to suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: Various
How long are you staying? Is it just for an overnight, or for a week or so?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mechteach
How long are you staying? Is it just for an overnight, or for a week or so?
Sorry - Should have posted that. We'll be there for three nights.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
We were in Paris almost 3 years ago...with OUR 2 year old.

We stayed at the Hotel des 3 colleges for 3 nights. Paid 103 euros per night.

My wife calls me a bit of a princess when it comes to staying at hotels. I find this place typical, small but clean and we didn't really have any problems with it from what I remember... Check out the trip advisor reviews for more choices.

We took the Eurostar in from London and then took the Paris Metro and didn't have any problems.

Note that most European hotels are VERY small compared to Western Standards.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 2:23 am

Programs: United Plus
You might do better over on the France forum.

I used to live in Paris and still live in France. We go to Paris a lot. I've taken my toddlers, alone and usually with siblings in tow.

Over on the France forum, they usually recommend a serviced apartment but I think your stay is too short (but check into it and confirm this). With a toddler, it's nice to have the small kitchen. I often recommend the Citidines, located throughout France.

http://www.citadines.com/

Novetels are also kid-friendly, but like the Citidines, a bland chain hotel. We often stay there just because my husband has "favorite guest" status. Some are very well located, with kid-friendly restaurants, some with pools and children's play areas.

http://www.novotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml

I personally, give up a bit of charm for convenience when traveling with my children. I figure it wont be forever...

But please don't stay around the Gare du Nord. It's kind of a dead neighborhood and the convenience of being close when you arrive will be offset by the distance you will have to trek to see any of the sites. Stay somewhere with a bit more charm and atmosphere (especially if the hotel lacks). Many tourists like the St. Germain (left or south Bank area). Avoid also the Eiffel Tower area, since there is nothing else around there either and you'll find it involves a lot of walking.

Paris hotels are really small and often there is no room for a crib, so look at the floor space (usually listed) and make it clear to them that you will be staying with a toddler. Noise can be a factor, since the walls are thin, as well as asking about stairs. Find out if they have a "lift". Many hotels don't have chains on the door so you may need to get creative if you have a Houdini like I do. My son ran out in the hallway and I had to jam a chair in the door at night afterwards.

Pick up the trash cans as soon as you enter the room and I just throw all those tiny bottles in the closet or push them to the mirror. European bathrooms often don't have counters and toddlers can reach this stuff easily (in other words, learn from my mistakes!)

On a personal note, be sure to bring a stroller which folds with one hand. This is really helpful on the Metro. Also, bring a good baby carrier. She's too big for a front pack (like those dire Bjorns) but if you have a better quality carrier, like a Ergo, Beco, Mei Tai, wrap, ring sling or other soft front/back carrier, bring it!

Just please be careful with pickpockets. Paris overall is very safe (the really bad neighborhoods are outside the city limits) but the pickpockets there are real experts. Having a child in tow is a good distraction they may take advantage of, so have your things in a safe place that is not reached easily so you can attend to her needs without putting your valuables at risk.

Avoid cabs because the metro is safer and you avoid the whole car seat debate. They drive like maniacs and always "don't understand" and go in circles. They thought I was a tourist and would try to rip me off by going in some weird direction to my apartment.

And don't forget to check out the Luxembourg Gardens, a real child's paradise and a great backdrop for photos!

Last edited by Eclipsepearl; Apr 28, 2010 at 2:42 am
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
You might do better over on the France forum.

I used to live in Paris and still live in France. We go to Paris a lot. I've taken my toddlers, alone and usually with siblings in tow.

Over on the France forum, they usually recommend a serviced apartment but I think your stay is too short (but check into it and confirm this). With a toddler, it's nice to have the small kitchen. I often recommend the Citidines, located throughout France.

http://www.citadines.com/

Novetels are also kid-friendly, but like the Citidines, a bland chain hotel. We often stay there just because my husband has "favorite guest" status. Some are very well located, with kid-friendly restaurants, some with pools and children's play areas.

http://www.novotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml

I personally, give up a bit of charm for convenience when traveling with my children. I figure it wont be forever...

But please don't stay around the Gare du Nord. It's kind of a dead neighborhood and the convenience of being close when you arrive will be offset by the distance you will have to trek to see any of the sites. Stay somewhere with a bit more charm and atmosphere (especially if the hotel lacks). Many tourists like the St. Germain (left or south Bank area). Avoid also the Eiffel Tower area, since there is nothing else around there either and you'll find it involves a lot of walking.

Paris hotels are really small and often there is no room for a crib, so look at the floor space (usually listed) and make it clear to them that you will be staying with a toddler. Noise can be a factor, since the walls are thin, as well as asking about stairs. Find out if they have a "lift". Many hotels don't have chains on the door so you may need to get creative if you have a Houdini like I do. My son ran out in the hallway and I had to jam a chair in the door at night afterwards.

Pick up the trash cans as soon as you enter the room and I just throw all those tiny bottles in the closet or push them to the mirror. European bathrooms often don't have counters and toddlers can reach this stuff easily (in other words, learn from my mistakes!)

On a personal note, be sure to bring a stroller which folds with one hand. This is really helpful on the Metro. Also, bring a good baby carrier. She's too big for a front pack (like those dire Bjorns) but if you have a better quality carrier, like a Ergo, Beco, Mei Tai, wrap, ring sling or other soft front/back carrier, bring it!

Just please be careful with pickpockets. Paris overall is very safe (the really bad neighborhoods are outside the city limits) but the pickpockets there are real experts. Having a child in tow is a good distraction they may take advantage of, so have your things in a safe place that is not reached easily so you can attend to her needs without putting your valuables at risk.

Avoid cabs because the metro is safer and you avoid the whole car seat debate. They drive like maniacs and always "don't understand" and go in circles. They thought I was a tourist and would try to rip me off by going in some weird direction to my apartment.

And don't forget to check out the Luxembourg Gardens, a real child's paradise and a great backdrop for photos!
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Paris: The City of Light, This Time for the Babar Bunch

February 19, 2006

Weekend With the Kids

By JENNIFER CONLIN

Excerpt:

THOUGH known as a city for lovers, Paris is also an idyllic — even romantic — destination for those traveling with the fruits of their love. There are hidden paths to discover in the city's gardens, majestic monuments to climb and intimate streets to explore, each colorfully lined with specialty food shops, novelty stores and flower markets.

Art and culture come to life for children in Paris, and not just because it is the storybook setting for such favorite characters as Madeline and Babar. Artists paint on the banks of the Seine and jugglers perform to great crowds in Montmartre.

Children are welcome everywhere in Paris — be it a fashionable restaurant on the Champs Élysées or a hushed chapel in Sacré-Coeur. Traveling en famille, in fact, gives parents a chance to experience both the quotidian and exceptional sides of local family life in the French capital — perhaps best exemplified by sitting on a playground bench in the Champs de Mars with one eye on your child, the other on the Eiffel Tower.

Full article:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/02/19...ildren&st=tcse
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by francophile
February 19, 2006

Weekend With the Kids

Thanks for the posting!
Old May 1, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: United Plus
Great article!

Yes, forgot about the museum pass. I never get one since we usually spend a lot of time with relatives but some friends had them once when visiting Paris. It was great. They volunteered to take my kids in while I sat in a café (because I would have had to stand in line and slow everyone up). They just trotted in, looking like they had a lot of kids (6!)

Children actually don't have school at all on Wednesdays but that's a just a silly detail they got wrong (and some private ones do). Don't necessarily stay away from anything on Wednesdays or weekends specifically. Just expect more children on those days.

Here's something to do if it's raining;
http://www.cite-sciences.fr/cs/Satel...=1195217273275

The last time we went, it was closed. We have a branch where we live and my kids like the local museum here.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - We wound up staying at the Novotel Paris Vaugirard Montparnasse. Not a very 'charming' selection, but a good choice with our toddler. Wound up paying about e100 per night via expedia. The room was quite small, but that was to be expected in Paris - It was comfortable and functional. The biggest issue we had with the room the fact that there was a window that opened wide that was about 2 feet off the ground, right next to the couch. Our toddler could have easily opened it and fallen six stories. A bunch of duct tape on the window latch handle took care of that

Yes - The gardens were great!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
We are thinking of going to Paris next year with your toddler. This thread came in handy. I am trying to see if I can use Hyatt, Marriott or IHG points for 7 to 10 night trips. Award nights with 3 people (wife and I plus toddler) seem tough to come by and hotel choices appear limited. However, I do think a kitchen or even just a microwave will come in handy. So, perhaps, I have to go the apartment route. Being a flyertalk member here, I do like to use points and go with what the bloggers have been saying - Park Hyatt Vendome. I am going to check out the Citadines Apartments and Novotel.

My hotel preference:
- centrally located to the tour sites, restaurants and transportation
- I'll give up some charm for bigger space.
- I'll give up space for a better location.

What are of Paris would you suggest? Around the Vendome area, the left bank area or other area?

Last edited by opus2002; Dec 29, 2014 at 8:51 am
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by opus2002
We are thinking of going to Paris next year with your toddler. This thread came in handy. I am trying to see if I can use Hyatt, Marriott or IHG points for 7 to 10 night trips.......
I think the OP might object to that!

I have stayed in the Marriott Rive Gauche, which is close to the Metro. I think you have to reserve a junior suite for more than 2 people.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
I think the OP might object to that!
Well, in 2015 my 'toddler' I reference in my post from 2010 is turning 7. She's in Grade 1 French immersion and might do well with a trip to Paris.

So sure, take her along. I'm sure she'll have a great time.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:49 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
This just made me laugh out loud

I'm an Accor affectionado so wholeheartedly recommend Novotel, i've stayed in these with my own daughter since she was a toddler and never had an issue They don't however have kitchenettes unless its a Suite Novotel and while there are a number of them in Paris I don't know how convenient any of them are
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
If you and the significant other are okay with getting new CC's, I'd highly recommend both of you getting the higher end Club Carlson card. For starters, having the card gives you one free night added on the end of an award booking. So if each of you can get enough points for 2 nights, you'd be able to book 3 nights apiece back to back.

We recently stayed at the Radisson Blu Champs Elysses with our 3 year old, and really enjoyed it. Location was just great, walked to Eiffel Tower, walked up/down the Champs Elysses, very easy metro to Louvre, Notre Damme, Sacre Couer, etc. One problem in Paris is the fire code, and only allowing 2 people in most rooms unless you upgrade to a larger more expensive one. We booked a business class room which was more pionts, but allowed 3 people in the room. It also came with a full "american" breakfast each day which saved us some money and made it easy to start the day. We could do breakfast there, then head back to the room to get everything together.

Problem is that it's a lot more points for the business room, but you may be able to build up some club carlson points through stay promotions which can be pretty lucrative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.